Rule 20 (Continuity) Idea/Improvement Discussion

This suggestion is actually a nice compromise. RPing the current lore is weird, vague, and sometimes rather confusing. It wouldn't really hurt to just accept that the GTA lore is meant to coexist with real life instead of it being a weird replacement for its IRL counterparts. 

In China, there are lots of copycat cities and architectures. They have a replica of Paris, Thames Town, and other foreign towns and villages that were meant to house thousands to tens of thousands of residents, but rather just became soulless places. We can use this idea as a reason to justify: (1) why SA exist as a different state, (2) why the whole LS county resembles LA, and (3) why other cities like SF, LV, and LC also exist alongside their real life counterparts. 

This would be much better than weirdly RPing something incomplete. So yeah, +1 for this creative idea. 

• Upvote 1

I want to add to my previous post that as we are incorporating real life brands and whatever else, it is becoming more and more difficult to accept this current "lore" we have. I have no issue with acknowledging real life counterparts to things, I mean we have iPhones - which are made in California, by the way - but we don't acknowledge real life states, which is odd.

I am struggling to understand this lore that has been set out, especially since we are now going off-brand from the GTA lore. As said before, we either go all the way or don't at all, we cannot meet halfway and have mistakes, issues, and confusion for stuff like this. California and New York should coexist with San Andreas and Liberty City, especially with the countless Liberty City references across the city (see any pizza place basically).

On 7/1/2021 at 4:43 AM, shushu said:

This suggestion is actually a nice compromise. RPing the current lore is weird, vague, and sometimes rather confusing. It wouldn't really hurt to just accept that the GTA lore is meant to coexist with real life instead of it being a weird replacement for its IRL counterparts. 

In China, there are lots of copycat cities and architectures. They have a replica of Paris, Thames Town, and other foreign towns and villages that were meant to house thousands to tens of thousands of residents, but rather just became soulless places. We can use this idea as a reason to justify: (1) why SA exist as a different state, (2) why the whole LS county resembles LA, and (3) why other cities like SF, LV, and LC also exist alongside their real life counterparts. 

This would be much better than weirdly RPing something incomplete. So yeah, +1 for this creative idea. 

Exactly.

This world is not our world, I don't understand why it's an issue to roleplay that it's a parallel universe where there are more states. SA could easily be regarded as some strange experiment state that failed and made a resurgence. Same could be applied with Liberty City and Vice City - the latter of which is rumoured to be part of the next GTA game.

6 hours ago, jcat said:

There's a cultural reason for that.  In Chinese culture, that's a sign of conquest.

There is but it isn't the SOLE purpose as to why these copycat cities were built. As I've mentioned, some were meant to house people (e.g. the Anting German Town), although the result of these projects were quite the opposite. 

The exact reason(s) why these copycat cities exist in China should not heavily affect the reason why SA exists, if this suggestion is to be implemented. It can be used as an inspiration, sure, but it doesn't have to be the same exact reason. I'd rather have this than for some vague and confusing reasons. We just need to use a tiny bit of our imagination to make this work. Besides, not everyone is from the US for them to completely understand the whole LA/LS or Cali/SA thing.