car insurance

Aquila

I've been away for a while, but the car insurance system existed back when I still played. As far back as I can remember, I always thought it was a strange idea.

When it was added, it seemed like another solution to a non-existent problem. Cars don't seem to get destroyed or damaged as much as one would think, and in many states car insurance isn't really a legal requirement. 

From a script perspective, cars get spawned clean as a whistle. From a roleplay perspective, I can't see car insurance having any value towards anyone's character's history, personality, or whatever. Why is insurance an absolute legal requirement on this server? I see it as a reason for police officers to stop people out of boredom. I understand that for "realism" we need it, but there's no actual benefit to having it. 

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Aquila said:

When it was added, it seemed like another solution to a non-existent problem. Cars don't seem to get destroyed or damaged as much as one would think, and in many states car insurance isn't really a legal requirement. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's only two states that don't require some form of insurance and have other options. The other forty-eight do, though the requirements vary. 

As for cars not getting destroyed, I guess it just depends on what car you have. There are certainly several cars that end up on the chop list week after week. I think the system is...okay for what it's designed for. Optimally I'm pretty sure people aren't supposed to go around vparking their cars everywhere, but that's what people do.

It also serves as an overhead cost as mentioned above.

14 minutes ago, arrdef said:

Insurance is the only overhead cost incurred by owning a car. It's an OOC benefit as it deters some players from buying the flashiest car their bank account can get.

It doesn't work as a deterrent, it just causes issues for people who don't conform to this norm. Regardless of how much insurance will cost, people will still buy flashy cars for no reason. 

If you really want the flashy car trend to stop, they shouldn't be sold. It doesn't bother me any, so I don't care for it. But they exist, we'll have to deal with it. Point is that insurance has no benefit to anyone.

10 minutes ago, Queen said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's only two states that don't require some form of insurance and have other options. The other forty-eight do, though the requirements vary. 

As for cars not getting destroyed, I guess it just depends on what car you have. There are certainly several cars that end up on the chop list week after week. I think the system is...okay for what it's designed for. Optimally I'm pretty sure people aren't supposed to go around vparking their cars everywhere, but that's what people do.

It also serves as an overhead cost as mentioned above.

/vpark seems necessary now with how laggy everything seems to be. Insurance today is like what the seatbelt thing was way back - not having either was a crime when it had no impact on roleplay. 

3 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

If anything I think car insurance should cost more since everyone likes driving souped up super cars at 100+ miles an hour.

Imagine what you'd charge someone living in this city for car insurance with all the high speed collisions and car thieves running amuck.

Car thievery was added to the server as a feature, as was insurance. In 2017 we didn't have either and it was fine. It seemed that cops stopped bothering with catching out people without insurance, because what difference does it make if I have it or not, for my junker?

35 minutes ago, Aquila said:

It doesn't work as a deterrent, it just causes issues for people who don't conform to this norm. Regardless of how much insurance will cost, people will still buy flashy cars for no reason. 

If you really want the flashy car trend to stop, they shouldn't be sold. It doesn't bother me any, so I don't care for it. But they exist, we'll have to deal with it. Point is that insurance has no benefit to anyone.

/vpark seems necessary now with how laggy everything seems to be. Insurance today is like what the seatbelt thing was way back - not having either was a crime when it had no impact on roleplay. 

Car thievery was added to the server as a feature, as was insurance. In 2017 we didn't have either and it was fine. It seemed that cops stopped bothering with catching out people without insurance, because what difference does it make if I have it or not, for my junker?

This is like all accusations and random statements. You said yourself you haven't played in years. The insurance system works for many reasons and it is currently illegal in almost every single US state to drive a vehicle on public roadways without insurance. It's all part of owning a car, like the incoming property taxes that will be associated with home ownership. It's both to prevent people from owning flashy cars that they don't have the income to afford, and serves as a money sink to prevent people from just building wealth infinitely. 

In my opinion the current insurance system that the server has implemented does an extremely poor job of simulating how insurance works in real life. They would be better off calling the system that's in the server a vehicle tax because that's essentially what it is. 

In the United States when you insure a vehicle and you sell it to somebody else the insurance for that vehicle doesn't carry over, it's also not a flat percent fee based on the purchase cost of the vehicle it's a dumb system that we have in GTA world to be honest with you. In the sense that we call it insurance. And if the goal was to be realistic they did a really bad job. 

As for people saying that it deters people from getting flashy cars I think that argument is invalid because even for the more expensive cars the insurance is only like 14,000 a month or whatever. It's really not a big deal. 

There's also cars on the server that are very expensive that aren't flashy per se so that sentiment that it prevents people from buying quote unquote flashy cars is kind of a regurgitated statement that people just say on the forms all the time and it doesn't really have any meaning.  Because I hate to break it too you, but look around out in the real world for a bit. Lots of people have flashy cars they can't afford. 

It's called debt. 

The obsession that people in the GTA world roleplay community have with what vehicle people choose to have their characters drive baffles me. It's like if people don't drive what other people think that they should it's like they're dragged over hot coals or called a mall rat. 

In my opinion they either need to rename the current system to just a vehicle tax or they need to actually implement like an actual insurance that makes sense to the real world because what we have now is just a fantasy. 

Edited by Devastante
24 minutes ago, Sush said:

This is like all accusations and random statements. You said yourself you haven't played in years. The insurance system works for many reasons and it is currently illegal in almost every single US state to drive a vehicle on public roadways without insurance. It's all part of owning a car, like the incoming property taxes that will be associated with home ownership. It's both to prevent people from owning flashy cars that they don't have the income to afford, and serves as a money sink to prevent people from just building wealth infinitely. 

I take back what I said about states and legal status, fine. But there's a reason why insurance is a requirement in these states.

There are plenty money sinks around on the server as it is, having unnecessary insurance for the sole purpose of not getting pulled over just seems arbitrary.

3 minutes ago, Devastante said:

In my opinion the current insurance system that the server has implemented does an extremely poor job of simulating how insurance works in real life. They would be better off calling the system that's in the server a vehicle tax because that's essentially what it is. 

In the United States when you insure a vehicle and you sell it to somebody else the insurance for that vehicle doesn't carry over, it's also not a flat percent fee based on the purchase cost of the vehicle it's a dumb system that we have in GTA world to be honest with you. In the sense that we call it insurance. And if the goal was to be realistic they did a really bad job. 

As for people saying that it deters people from getting flashy cars I think that argument is invalid because even for the more expensive cars the insurance is only like 14,000 a month or whatever. It's really not a big deal. 

There's also cars on the server that are very expensive that aren't flashy per se so that sentiment that it prevents people from buying quote unquote flashy cars is kind of a regurgitated statement that people just say on the forms all the time and it doesn't really have any meaning. 

In my opinion they ever need to rename the current system to just a vehicle tax or they need to actually implement like an actual insurance that makes sense to the real world because what we have now is just a fantasy. 

Am I crazy or did GTAW have road tax at one point as well? 

I agree with your post. I said this 3 years ago and will say it again: if we want to deter people from owning flashy cars, the insurance should be on those specific cars. Personally I don't have a care in the world if Stanley Yelnats next door has a Flash GT, or if Hector Zeroni in Vinewood Hills has Progen PR4. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic