car insurance

Aquila

It's an IC legal requirement. It gives people the option to drive a car with, or without insurance, to be legal or illegal. Does it really have to provide tangible benefits? Something you neglected to mention; if you're evading police in an uninsured car it gets scrapped. If it's insured, you're fine. There's your benefit. Can we not have a general discussion thread for every tiny gripe? If you think something can be improved, make a suggestion ez.

5 hours ago, Jennie said:

The current script adds literally /nothing/, the sole purpose is to cause a loss of money.

Pretty much, yeah. I don't mind losing money to something that is absolutely necessary, like if I had an expensive car to drive then I would understand additional costs for maintaining it. 

But the current insurance system seems like an RPG element. It also bothers me slightly that the expensive cars use the same priced fuel as cheaper vehicles, I presume they also have the same insurance prices. Correct me if I'm wrong. The money sink isn't balanced. 

7 hours ago, Aquila said:

But the current insurance system seems like an RPG element. It also bothers me slightly that the expensive cars use the same priced fuel as cheaper vehicles, I presume they also have the same insurance prices. Correct me if I'm wrong. The money sink isn't balanced. 

What.

They're very obviously different for every car. This thread is a meme, you've made a whole thread in general discussion to complain about a system you didn't even begin to look into or use really in any way.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Sush said:

What.

They're very obviously different for every car. This thread is a meme, you've made a whole thread in general discussion to complain about a system you didn't even begin to look into or use really in any way.

No need to focus on one assumption and dismiss the entire thread. This thread is meant to be a discussion, not a roast fest.

Regardless of this, it isn't a totally unpopular opinion that the insurance system doesn't make much sense. Furthermore, it does nothing to stop people buying flashy cars, which is apparently the reason some people support the system in the first place.

The realism argument is a weak one at best.

Edited by Aquila
2 minutes ago, Aquila said:

No need to focus on one assumption and dismiss the entire thread. This thread is meant to be a discussion, not a roast fest.

Yet you yourself completely ignore facts I gave you to prove you were wrong in the belief that insurance gives you no benefit or has no purpose. 

Weak realism? Uhhhh I pay $170 a month for my car insurance lmao and I drive a 2018 Hyundai.

First year I got the thing, it was over $2,000 to plate, second year was $575 and this year was $400.

We are based off of LA which is in the USA. Here in the US, getting raped by insurance companies is a daily normal... so I think the insurance is fine.

Personally, I think we should have to pay a registration fee every "year" as well, as that's a normal thing in most every state.

13 hours ago, Moonsong said:

It's an IC legal requirement. It gives people the option to drive a car with, or without insurance, to be legal or illegal. Does it really have to provide tangible benefits? Something you neglected to mention; if you're evading police in an uninsured car it gets scrapped. If it's insured, you're fine. There's your benefit. Can we not have a general discussion thread for every tiny gripe? If you think something can be improved, make a suggestion ez.

nah insurance doesn't matter. if your car is unregistered when evading then it'll be scrapped.

in 2018, i believe road tax was the compulsory addition to cars and insurance was optional (but still had a benefit), the bigger issue was the police pulling people over to do road tax checks which seemed ridiculous and now makes me think of late's old seat belt thread, fortunately police now have much more to do because the server population has grown since then and more people are dying or getting into crashes, and i assume most of them now only bring up insurance when they've pulled over a vehicle for a more valid reason like speeding

for context, in the last week i've been driving everywhere on the server and haven't been pulled over once, i drive properly and have passed many pd cars in motion, and they haven't yet kicked up an unnecessary fuss like they used to, because i assume they have much more to do and don't want to throw themselves into 20 minutes of rp just because someone doesn't have insurance

my other minor problem with insurance is that you never really know how long you'll be active for its duration, and i'm wondering whether a personal time based insurance would work better to remedy that

regardless, i can understand the insurance cost existing to encourage more diversity in motor vehicles in the server, but i think it could be better and have some practical use in the server

half of this thread has turned into unnecessary arguing, when we could discuss more practical benefits for insurance like this comment

15 hours ago, Reece? said:

Would be cool to see insurance prices go up the more MVA's you get into and go down when you drive safer.

i think it would be neat for next insurance costs to be lower based on lack of collisions or avoiding accidents where your vehicle is completely totaled/disabled

Edited by shaobadman
  • Wuhtah locked this topic