My appeal to LEO Rpers.

MickeyO

Hello,  I’m writing this message in hopes to establish some sort of change within the LEO factions on the server. I know what just raced across some of y’alls minds, “fuck whatever this guy has to say” but I’m hoping to appeal to the powers that be to see rules shift in a more realistic manner. This issue has been a consistent problem on the server for so long. The usage of illegal/unconstitutional stop and frisks.  

Terry v. Ohio specifically states the only legal way someone should be terry frisked in a traffic stop is when police reasonably suspect the civilian to be armed or to be involved in a crime. Here is the issue, the reasonably suspected to be armed portion of Terry v. Ohio allows too much room for the LEO rpers discretion. Recently I was pulled over and attempted to be frisked based on the fact that I had prior weapons charges, charges that I was not on parole for, nor having any warrants on myself. The cops in my opinion violated the United States Constitution. Not only did I not emit any reasonable suspicion that I’d do  harm against the officer,  I was not suspected to be in any crime.

I know Pennsylvania vs. Mimms is going to be used to draw a counterargument.  To give readers a short TLDR of the law it affirms LEO’s have the authority to remove suspects from their vehicle and to be searched. What that law specifically draws from is the fact that Mimms (the criminal) had a noticeable bulge when speaking to the officer. Thus leading to a safety check by the officer. Now that’s fair and reasonable. Mimms had a bulge that could have been a firearm and was searched, unfortunately most players never get the liberty to do that /me to indicate whether or not there would be a bulge. What typically happens, and what just recently occurred to me was I was pulled over for a minor traffic violation, asked to step out, and then was attempted to be frisked. 

I want readers to step into my POV for a second,  I’m enjoying my rp experience. I fuck up, making a mistake and then I get pulled over, all is fair. I’m expecting a ticket. Instead cops randomly direct me out of the vehicle where they want to search me. Why? What did the player do to escalate the situation? Why do you feel the need to randomly search the player? Before writing this post I’ve spoken to a couple of LEO players and player LEO’s that are a part of staff team  and gathered their take on the situation. And it seems with overall support they agree with me. With a specific PD member highlighting to me that when they pull over a specific type of illegal rper (Gang rper) they know they’re most likely going to get a bust because more often than not that player is carrying something illegal, almost as if it’s a bait tactic.

With that in mind, why do we have such an OP system in place? Why are we consistently allowing for the miss in portrayal. I drafted this post in pure frustration by the lack of consistency and blatant law breaking that is most of the time not even reported. I’m hoping that PD and SD leadership can come together and establish clear guidelines on what’s eligible for a stop and search and what’s not. This has been a gray that I no longer want to see gray. It’s totally ridiculous that I’ve had to make two reports in the span of a month for the same issue. (One of them winning btw, the other pending) LEO rpers should not act without impunity.  Just as Illegal rpers are encouraged and most times forced to research illegal rp by factions, so should LEO rpers for what is deemed unrealistic and illegal by cops and what’s not. I’m not expecting LEO rpers to cite me the United States Constitution but I would like reasonable, lightly versed LEO roleplay.

I

TLDR For this SS. I pretty much asked the Cop how they knew I had a firearm on me when I was pulled over and why they attempted to frisk me after I was nothing but respectful to them and they indicated to me because I prior gun charges. Bare in mind these gun charges are over a month old. I had no warrants nor I was on parole. This in my opinion is a case of play to win behavior that serves no purpose but to fuck the individual over.

Grand_Theft_Auto_V_Screenshot_2021.06.20

Grand_Theft_Auto_V_Screenshot_2021.06.20_-_19.49.41.83_LI.jpg

CASE LAW FOR REFERENCE

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/434/106/

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1967/67

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
  • Shvag locked and unlocked this topic
3 minutes ago, lambchops said:
  1. Get illegally searched
  2. Sue the department
  3. ??
  4. Profit

That's totally unfair though. If a non cop player does something unrealistic what typically happens? The situation is voided and the player punishment. I don't want to make this topic into what it isn't but the amount of violations that occur you can't just sue, sue, sue.

• Upvote 3

On this topic, I actually asked a few folks with some legal knowledge to compile some relevant caselaw and the LSSD will be forming a policy realistic to California Law Enforcement. I'll also be presenting our proposal to the other LEO factions on the server to see if they're willing to standardize. 

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

Hello I was the officer that pulled you over, well my partner was, I simply conducted a training patrol as he's a rookie. Once seeing your record, it was decided to get you out for a Terry frisk. You had multiple charges regarding murder and attempted murder on your record as well as priors to being a felon in possession of a firearm as well as a closed high risk warrant. You reported it during the initial scene and it was explained to you then and there. I understand your frustration but a character with your record is gonna be treated that way. You kept trying to go ooc and eventually pked yourself out of any consequences. Nobody in any LEO faction is gonna randomly frisk you for being a gang member. High risk traffic stops exist. 

• Upvote 4
  • Applaud 2
Just now, HappyGecko said:

Hello I was the officer that pulled you over, well my partner was, I simply conducted a training patrol as he's a rookie. Once seeing your record, it was decided to get you out for a Terry frisk. You had multiple charges regarding murder and attempted murder on your record as well as priors to being a felon in possession of a firearm as well as a closed high risk warrant. You reported it during the initial scene and it was explained to you then and there. I understand your frustration but a character with your record is gonna be treated that way. You kept trying to go ooc and eventually pked yourself out of any consequences. Nobody in any LEO faction is gonna randomly frisk you for being a gang member. High risk traffic stops exist. 

I'm not really sure if you're familiar with how America works (Not a bash) but you can't terry frisk people based on prior charges, that's now how that shit works.