Stop the unnecessary voiding of large-scale situations and roleplay scenarios

I'd agree that a situation should be voided when it stems solely from a rulebreaker, but not when the scene could otherwise continue without detrimental disruption. In large scale situations, I'd say the goal is to isolate the player(s) responsible for rule-breaking and/or subpar roleplay quality, and to continue roleplay if it's sensible. It's definitely a grey area, but being considerate of players' roleplay and time is favorable and appreciated. 

• Upvote 3

Scenes arent voided unless its necessary. For example, a rulebreaking caused a character to die. Then, sometimes, it needs to be voided, If at a specific scene you believe that so much roleplay has taken place since, that voiding would ruin a lot of players' experiences, then you can also relay this to the admin directly (which isn't an invitation to argue endlessly). However, sometimes it has to be done to keep it fair for those directly involved.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, mj2002 said:

Scenes arent voided unless its necessary. For example, a rulebreaking caused a character to die. Then, sometimes, it needs to be voided, If at a specific scene you believe that so much roleplay has taken place since, that voiding would ruin a lot of players' experiences, then you can also relay this to the admin directly (which isn't an invitation to argue endlessly). However, sometimes it has to be done to keep it fair for those directly involved.

Shouldn’t the admin be able to see how many players voiding a situation would impact and use that in their decision making? Instead of the player having to reach out to an admin after a scenes been voided and everyones left?

2 minutes ago, Nunwithagun said:

Shouldn’t the admin be able to see how many players voiding a situation would impact and use that in their decision making? Instead of the player having to reach out to an admin after a scenes been voided and everyones left?

They can't see, but they can surely find out by asking, checking logs, etc. Its not easy though, sometimes it is not apparent who is all involved. I agree with you that it should impact on the decision to void or not void. That's how I try to handle things. If you believe that an administrator didn't take this into account, you can ask them about it. Just ensure that it doesn't descend into arguing over /pm.

we had a 2+ hour scene voided over 1 person metagaming (who was a member of the staff team), we had another ~1 scene voided but the reason was not given. it just happens too frequently. sure, id understand voiding scenes caused by rulebreakers, but the rate at which this happens is ridiculous. whyd i invest time in a crime scene if its more likely that it will be voided

6 hours ago, mj2002 said:

8 minutes ago, Sidar said:

we had a 2+ hour scene voided over 1 person metagaming (who was a member of the staff team), we had another ~1 scene voided but the reason was not given. it just happens too frequently. sure, id understand voiding scenes caused by rulebreakers, but the rate at which this happens is ridiculous. whyd i invest time in a crime scene if its more likely that it will be voided

Take specific cases up with the administrator that handled them.

3 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

Take specific cases up with the administrator that handled them.

youre ignoring this bit:

13 minutes ago, Sidar said:

it just happens too frequently. sure, id understand voiding scenes caused by rulebreakers, but the rate at which this happens is ridiculous. whyd i invest time in a crime scene if its more likely that it will be voided

i was giving examples with those two

Honestly, a good amount of situations evolve from a lack of initial response of the admin team which then leads to major situations just for them to be voided hours later.

The most recent and extreme example I can think of would be the shooting inside the TTCF Sally Port a few weeks ago. The same player has been reported 1-2 hours prior to the incident and met with no response resulting in said scenario to play out and ultimately be voided by administration after involving the majority of LSSD, LSPD & LSFD online at the time with a suspect shooting at Officers within the Sally Port and two to three hours of active roleplay across the board - tactical units, supervisors, force investigations, medical units...

Edited by orca112

Wholeheartedly agree. While it's gotten slightly better in recent months, it's still prevalent. There have been over a dozen instances where I've found myself to take part in some intriguing roleplay that both sides of the coin enjoy, only for an admin to spawn in out of thin air and tell everyone that it's being voided simply because one player involved had breached the rules, no matter how minor or major.

The issue with this is that the majority of the time when admins void a scene, someone broke a rule, which led to the point the roleplay got to. Having the roleplay continue after let's say... someone powergamed and killed an illegal character who had a gun on them and lots of drugs, is not fair on that player, they will lose their items which stemmed from previous roleplay. If a whole turf shootout happens because of one single bad roleplayer that clearly escalated things without fear for his life, then started randomly shooting and killing the gang members, is it fair on them?

My point here is that when many of these scenes get voided, its because of these rulebreakers, and while it is a shame for everyone involved (time wasted for the most part) I don't feel like forcing the roleplay to continue is the solution, this would lead to instances where players are getting forced to continue for continuity when a server rule was broken against them, and what would that say about the server rules?

If all parties agree that they wouldn't mind continuing the roleplay then unless its something too crazy, I'm sure admins would allow this, as typically the admins, at least from my experience, do not look to void things unless absolutely necessary.

Would just like to add that I roleplay as FD, we often are also on scenes that get voided, but this is just something that happens sadly.

Edited by Viscaria
  • effion locked this topic