Server Moderation Policies

Hi, just wanted to discuss the practices of moderation the server administrators here use and why lvl 1 admins have the same power as higher level admins in the regards to bans. My friend was banned falsely by a staff member and was acquitted a few days later. It is unknown to me if this particular staff member was punished for their decision but looking at their post history it was all just ban appeals, which makes me think they were on a ban spree. This brings to the table the topic of why are the staff here so ban happy? Why do they ban new players who maybe don't understand roleplay - instead of helping them learn and grow as a community member? Everyone has to start somewhere and I'm sure that if you were new to a scary roleplay server having done no roleplay in your life before then you'd be confused? We should not be permanently banning these people but instead providing them with community resources to better understand roleplay. Furthermore I think the staff could relax a little on reserve bans for only the most serious offences like mass deathmatch - repeated rule breaks, or extended histories longer than 5 entries. We shouldn't be banning players if they have small histories with maybe a three jails and two warnings. It's ridiculous. It almost feels as though we're playing on a dictatorship server.

7 minutes ago, CertifiedKiller said:

I think the staff could relax a little on reserve bans for only the most serious offences like mass deathmatch - repeated rule breaks, or extended histories longer than 5 entries. We shouldn't be banning players if they have small histories with maybe a three jails and two warnings. It's ridiculous. It almost feels as though we're playing on a dictatorship server.

Bans are on a case by case basis and it should stay that way, there shouldn't be some sort of quota/amount of prior punishments for someone to be banned. Not going to sit here and say that I agree with all admin punishments and bans either but a lot of the time you'll find that admins consult one another on reports prior to coming to a conclusion, that way there's more than one opinion on it. Let your friend appeal the ban/report the admin and just wait it out from there.

• Upvote 1

I dont think admins ban new players easily, I'm pretty sure admins as players in position of power are trusted enough to make logical judgement calls when it comes to punishments, heck Im pretty sure they also have like internal guidelines to follow. But as all humans they can mak mistakes and that is why communication is key prior to punishment.

Come on, it's not like they used cheat software to give themselves an advantage over everyone else and undermine community trust when relations between players are bad as it is.

Y'all seriously need an interior meeting about standards and what's actually bannable.

Edited by Smilesville

Before I'm starting to crack this thread I would like to make a statement:
"The overall standard that we are trying to put in the community is to teach and to educate. We are not trying to punish players. "

18 minutes ago, CertifiedKiller said:

the server administrators here use and why lvl 1 admins have the same power as higher level admins in the regards to bans.

No, they don't. That's not true. Most of the admins are discussing every single case with other admins to be 100% sure and confident about the /ban action. Admins have strict rules and guidelines for everything. Level 1 admin is not equal to a level 3 admin.

My friend was banned falsely by a staff member and was acquitted a few days later.

Mistakes happens all the time.

Here is a list of the top 10 biggest mistakes in history: https://www.kickassfacts.com/10-biggest-mistakes-in-history/

It is unknown to me if this particular staff member was punished for their decision but looking at their post history it was all just ban appeals, which makes me think they were on a ban spree.

Every single case is being discussed between management and admins if they are making some kind of mistake. There is no point to not trust management since as you know yourself many of the admins were punished or even left the team after their mistakes.

This brings to the table the topic of why are the staff here so ban happy?

They are not. Admins don't want to punish. I can guarantee you this by 100%.

Why do they ban new players who maybe don't understand roleplay - instead of helping them learn and grow as a community member?

We are supposed to be a heavy text-based roleplay server. I'm afraid that we are not trying to hardly focus on the new players who are just starting their roleplay career. We are supposed to keep high standards and we always expect/recommend new guys to give it a try in other communities and only then join us.

I was having one student myself and he is doing great so far. Unfortunately, it's not easy to give private lessons one-on-one when you have 600-800 players online and everybody wants to get some admin help.

Sooo... It's really up to a player itself. But if the new player is not up to server standards? We are supposed to give him a break. Why? Because one new guy shouldn't be able to disrupt the roleplay of all the rest players if he is not capable to tell the difference between /me or /do.

We should not be permanently banning these people but instead providing them with community resources to better understand roleplay.

We have enough guides and explanations on the guide/rule section but that's not enough. Sometimes guys are not reading it and using friends' help to answer the application questions. Then it's not up to admins. It's up to players. Right?

We shouldn't be banning players if they have small histories with maybe a three jails and two warnings.

It's actually a very long history if you are getting a few warnings from the admin team.

I'm locking the thread for now. I believe that somebody from the management or staff team guys will answer this if they will see a need.

Edited by Shvag
  • Shvag locked this topic

To piggyback off of what Shvag said, administrators are put through a significant vetting process (which is expected to get more extensive in the near future) to even become a trial administrator. Once an administrator passes their trial phase they're believed by server / staff management to be just as capable as any other administrator on the server and as a result can ban people as a general rule. I can assure you that any and all staff reports are handled with severity and administrators who unjustifiably ban people and act in a malicious manner do not remain on the staff team very long. But mistakes do happen and in the case you vaguely allude to, there's very little that can be said about that besides the folks in charge of administrators are likely reviewing it or have reviewed it and made their judgement. The reporting party would be notified in that case.

Bringing about the comment regarding bans in general. Bans are used as a last resort when progressive punishment has failed, the incidence of rulebreak has been deemed extremely severe, or the player is way too far below the standard and cannot be taught. Oftentimes I opt to teach the player, a policy that most admins mirror. Occasionally some players do not have the requisite level of English and happened to slip through the application process or simply have no intention or knowledge of roleplay and would serve to ruin the experiences of others. While teaching and education is important, preserving the standard of a high level roleplay server is also paramount. 

• Upvote 1