Discussion about Protests & Riots

Tseard

2 hours ago, Keane said:

I can provide some context for last night's riots as I was involved from start to finish. 

A few days prior, the character involved decided to shoot at a deputy during a traffic stop and killed them. This lead to them being identified.

SD found that person later and they ran away on foot. During the foot pursuit, he entered a vehicle. The driver turned the engine off and stepped out.
He stepped out and everybody saw a gun in his hand. From their perspective, SD saw a cop killer pull a gun on them. He was then shot.
This was a sync issue. The player themselves never pulled a gun.

It got reported in-game but due to the incredible amount of shooting going on elsewhere at the time, no admin got to the report in a timely manner.
The player decided to CK.
Information was spread about the shooting. Similar to real life, false information was spread and context was omitted. This is an IC issue.

The protest itself was fine for the most part and enjoyable. There was several instances of rulebreaking and poor escalation during it though. Players didn't roleplay the effects of teargas or being hit by multiple beanbag rounds. Someone decided to pull a handgun and shoot at an entire tactical team because someone got beanbagged beside him for hitting an occupied vehicle with a bat. Those are just the examples I witnessed personally but there was more that happened during the event that I didn't see.

Protests always turn violent and they should be supervised by admins a lot better in my opinion. As mentioned previously, throwaway characters are a problem. Many players who have no connection to the reason for these protests show up and end up ruining them. I couldn't handle this one as an admin myself because I was on scene for the shooting. Smaller scale protests without rulebreaking can create a lot of roleplay and give consequences for IC actions.

Seeing as the character involved was allegedly 16, had a property and two vehicles and was in possession or control of a number of firearms including high powered weaponry, why wasnt this arguably nonsensical situation ended by the administration team?

Edited by Shields
  • Upvote 1

I have to agree that its an IC issue and should remain as such. Regarding the few individuals that didn't do well in the scenario, its up to admins to make sure these larger scale events are roleplayed correctly, the event in itself is welcomed in my eyes, and if I have to deck cannon rioters to not burn down my fire station again I will... 🚒

People should be more considerate during riots and protests, like don't do what happened IRL so far. When you walk into a PD station with a baseball bat along with dozens of other people...welll you just attacked a government building and in many countries that's an act of terrorism.

Which means, usual laws will not apply there anymore.

We need more peaceful protests that don't turn into a riot all the time. A protest where people gather up, make their voices be heard, spread their message across without resorting to violence and in the end simply go home. I can't remember the last time a protest on the server went this way from beginning to end, some sort of excessive and unnecessary violence always has to be used and the impression it gives to me and I know for sure to plenty of other community members as well is that most of the players involved just want to go on a rampage against the police and take these events as an opportunity to take out their need for violence without repercussions, and that truly saddens me.

29 minutes ago, Shields said:

Seeing as the character involved was allegedly 16, had a property and two vehicles and was in possession or control of a number of firearms including high powered weaponry, why wasnt this arguably nonsensical situation ended by the administration team?

What? I'm confused, what do you want us to do? Roleplay having the property's as the characters? I can guarantee you most of the people that do gang RP and roleplay underage roleplay NPC'd parents owning properties / vehicles. 

What " high powered weaponry," Are you talking about? 

32 minutes ago, Shields said:

Lol what the fuck are you talking about

31 minutes ago, Shields said:

This is why we NPC parents so that we actually have properties to live in. Do you except every illegal under 18 players to rp as homeless? But then when Sufi did NPC his parents, he was banned for it. 

16 minutes ago, Sufi said:

What? I'm confused, what do you want us to do? Roleplay having the property's as the characters? I can guarantee you most of the people that do gang RP and roleplay underage roleplay NPC'd parents owning properties / vehicles. 

What " high powered weaponry," Are you talking about? 

There were carbine rifles found during the search warrant raid of his property including ammunition for them.

It's nonsensical roleplay AND poor character development and portrayal.

Edited by Shields
3 hours ago, Galloway said:

And that's the point OP is making here, no peaceful protest ever remains peaceful on this server. People will join in, just to DM and do non-rp things because they feel it's an excuse. They always turn into cluster fucks which are just no fun, not too mention the lack of roleplay that generally is involved from most parties. You have people running around shouting whatever nonsense because they simply have no idea what the 'protest' is actually meant to be 'protesting', which again comes back to my point of people joining just to join and do a bunch of stupid shit.

Isn't this what happens in real life as well? Agitators are a real thing. I don't see the problem here, just because it didn't go the way "some people" think it should be how does that make it unrealistic? That is exactly how it would work in real life. People show up to protest peacefully, other show up to agitate, things escalate out of control. 

Not that I condone this, or support it but as for the age question, how old was that kid in Kenosha Wisconsin that shot like 3 people at a protest? 

Life is crazier than RP scenarios sometimes.... 

Edited by Devastante