Discussion about Protests & Riots

Tseard

From the PD side of things for someone who was online for the entirety of thing. The roleplay experience given was absolutely fantastic when rule breaking did not occur. There was so much roleplay created from the situation at hand. We had both Police and Sheriffs Watch Command actively working together and properly allocating resources with each other. We JUST inducted Police Officer I's and gave them a big speech about how the South Central Area and MRPD is the busiest area and division in the entire LSPD and then on their first shift? A protest and riot breaks out. That's the kind of story telling that is genuinely interesting and I have zero issues with the protesting. 

SD got the busses out for the 10+ arrests the LSPD made. This thread now gets to reference the storming of Mission Row soonTM. The P1's we just inducted now have a unique story for their characters should they choose to keep them since the next P1 batch after them months from now probably will not experience this which just adds to telling a story. There are a lot more behind the scenes roleplay for the LSPD that is going to occur too so I just don't see what the complaint is outside of again, rulebreaking. 

The only cringe thing but it's IC and shall be dealt with IC, but the only cringe thing is. The SD shoots a kid but somehow the PD shot the kid even though the entirety of the protest reasons explicitly states the Sheriff's Department were the cause of death. Even thought it's been proven people can't tell the difference between uniforms on a genuine level, it still DOES create even more roleplay to deal with in the community policing aspects of it all. 

I was involved in this event on a civlian character who just got caught up in the whole thing and it was the most fun I've had on this server since joining. Props to the LSSD in particular for the whole mass arrests/bussing stuff.

38 minutes ago, Timid said:

I don't understand why this thread is being made by someone who wasn't present for the event and only heard of the details after the fact. 

There seems to be a formula by which these threads occur...

1) Some kind of in game event occurs triggering a large police response.

2) Sometime during that event, things go south for the police and it's clear they might not be walking away victorious. 

3) Admins intervene and RP is paused/voided (most events stop here). 

3a) RP is unpaused and aloud to continue. 

4) Police proceed "lose" in some capacity whether that be a large number of LEOs being injured or killed, mass destruction of one of their buildings, high profile suspects escaping the scene, etc. 

5) Someone who carries water for one of the involved police factions makes a thread regarding the egregious injustice (in reality, a minor inconvenience) that occurred against the LEO RPers and why it's a dangerous precedent to set for the community. Community may or may not be in agreement about the initial posters claims. 

6) People bitch back and forth for 10-15 pages then the thread either fizzles out or gets locked.

7) Nothing changes. 

8) Cycle repeats itself in ~6 weeks. 

Edited by SugarDavis
37 minutes ago, SugarDavis said:

There seems to be a formula by which these threads occur...

1) Some kind of in game event occurs triggering a large police response.

2) Sometime during that event, things go south for the police and it's clear they might not be walking away victorious. 

3) Admins intervene and RP is paused/voided (most events stop here). 

3a) RP is unpaused and aloud to continue. 

4) Police proceed "lose" in some capacity whether that be a large number of LEOs being injured or killed, mass destruction of one of their buildings, high profile suspects escaping the scene, etc. 

5) Someone who carries water for one of the involved police factions makes a thread regarding the egregious injustice (in reality, a minor inconvenience) that occurred against the LEO RPers and why it's a dangerous precedent to set for the community. Community may or may not be in agreement about the initial posters claims. 

6) People bitch back and forth for 10-15 pages then the thread either fizzles out or gets locked.

7) Nothing changes. 

😎 Cycle repeats itself in ~6 weeks. 

That pretty much sums up what each Riot caused.

I don't understand why most of you are complaining. You weren't even there, you're talking about things "you heard about." PD Nor SD is complaining, and the people that WERE there aren't complaining either. The Protest was planned out to be peaceful, sure. Obviously that didn't work, everything was going fine. Of course there is always going to be that one hot head that's going to make it turn into a riot and that's what happened. Now, lets speak on Sufi's ban, what he did... Ask yourself was it ban worthy? Not just that, It's a quite dumb ban, he was banned for NPCing his parents to post about a protest. Anyways, coming from someone who was there the entire time I don't find anything wrong with the protest yesterday besides as stated a couple people shoulda RP'd the beanbags but that's the only thing that was wrong, other then that everything was fine. Nobody there complained, and everyone had a fun time. The whole thing was honestly realistic, sure Mission Row being a safezone but It's all IC. They pushed over there to get their point across. 

1 hour ago, Shields said:

There were carbine rifles found during the search warrant raid of his property including ammunition for them.

It's nonsensical roleplay AND poor character development and portrayal.

This makes no sense at all, and the part about him owning properties. Illegal RPers under the age of 18 are most likely NPCing those houses, nobody is going to RP homeless 24/7.. And the rifles apart, you can't tell me one bit on how It's poor character development and potrayal, honestly are you even from the US? Getting rifles are easier then handguns broski.. There are multiple people ages 15-17 with militaryish weapons, so the point you're trying to make here is irrelevant. 

The part you guys are talking about for the shooting, etc, weren't even apart of the riot. Those people were TF who were provoking the group.  This whole protest started over a IC issue, which was the slaying of Aidan Epps. The riot was about as realistic as it can get, I honestly seen nothing really wrong with what happened, and how it ended,

Personally, I have to end up avoiding these events because the streamer craps out and all my buildings and roads disappear and it ruins any immersion or fun for me.

If the server could handle the mass amount of people , even with lag, and actually have everything stable and not disappearing. It would be extremely fun, and these events are fun for people. Some people do stupid unrealistic shit but admins usually crack down on it pretty well. If the streamer could be fixed, these kind of events are great fun for people. At the end of the day, If you don’t like it, don’t go. 

side note, these kind of events are completely realistic if you’ve followed the news in the US for the last year or so. It just sucks that we can’t properly organize a solid police response due to crashes and streamer issues. 

Edited by Mick

There's two big issues I have with the protests / riots I've been apart of.

One, the protesters themselves are generally insincere and don't actually care about anything / have a message to bring. They are almost always career criminals. Most of them are quite literally just there to cause violence / disruption, with no actual motive. This is the rule, rather than the exception that it is IRL at very similar events. As such, I feel like these roleplay protests / riots trivialize actual, important IRL issues such as police misuse of force and racial discrimination by misrepresenting the type of people that would actually be out protesting against police misuse of force.

That is more of a pet peeve of mine rather than an actual, actionable complaint that admins will care about.

The second thing, is that even on 1.1 these events are extremely laggy and stenuous on the server / game, and character models, vehicles, and even the environment will start to disappear when too many players clump together like that. Really makes the whole thing not as fun / interesting, as a good chunk of people there can't even properly see what's going on.