Discussion about Protests & Riots

Tseard

16 minutes ago, sage said:

This is just a fancy way of saying "Hey we're protected oocly pls go away!!", I think it would've been a neater situation if we aren't limited by what we do OOC'ly, let ic be ic for once. 

Except they don't want IC to be IC, or we'd have a bill signed tomorrow expanding prison sentences from days to months - or years.

"OOC protection for me, but not for thee" seems to be the theme, here.

6 hours ago, Thimble said:

What I like: Engaging roleplay that is influenced entirely by player interactions IC and what is reasonably achievable within those means.

What I don't like: Administrators artificially dictating how a roleplay situation should develop without adequate reasoning or explanation.

On 6/14/2021 at 8:38 AM, Tseard said:

Hello all,

I know that this topic is going to be controversial and is going to spark a lot of opinions but I feel that it is necessary to discuss. 

Just this morning I woke up to about 7 pings on Discord regarding a riot and a police station being under attack. As this all happened early morning, I went into the chats and figured out what happened and saw some videos and screenshots of the incident. 

What I wish to discuss is the number of protests and riots we've had on this server and how many times they occur and start to be violent. To me it starts to become rather unrealistic and annoying to witness yet another riot happening where people will go all in to either be violent or to respond to the scene as law enforcer. Protests are fine with me and I can understand that people wish to do one in regards to something that happened in-game but it seems to become a trend that all protests turn into riots. What happened with organizing an event somewhere and remain peaceful and obey the law to get your message across?  

Talking about the event that happened this morning. If I have to believe, the entire front desk of the Mission Row Station would be destroyed by a group of 30 individuals wielding melee weapons, doors would be destroyed, glass would be shattered, computers would be totaled. As beanbags were used, people just started to run behind solid objects to not get hit without too much roleplay. 

How are people supposed to roleplay this? It would take days, perhaps even weeks, to clear up the entire mess, get it investigated, get new furniture in, replace new items. This next morning, people just roleplayed the station as ''old'' because there is nothing else that can be done. The LSPD can't just pump out a temporarily station somewhere in the city, get it mapped, get script support and use that. 

I understand that people feel this roleplay is exciting, action packed, fun to do and interesting but at the same time, how many times is this allowed to happen? We've had a Fire Station being burned down in the past, we've had days on riots just a few months ago, now a Police Station that is trashed. I know that there are some people that will log out as soon as these kind of events happen from the law enforcement side. We can't say no to a Sergeant that we do not want to respond. We are dragged into this kind of roleplay since it's so huge. 

Frankly, I and others don't wish to participate in this kind of roleplay anymore. It brings little to much roleplay other than the event itself. People will speak about it for the two days after but it is then forgotten about and never mentioned again. Realistically, this would have a huge impact, would be broadcasted nation wide and discussed into details. The police would get stricter policies and maybe even more room to crack down on this but I can imagine that players will complain once the police will start to crack down harder and quicker. 

I hope that this can be discussed peacefully and that this won't be locked instantly. I truly hope there will be some kind of intervention by the management of GTAW to stop these event's happening every few months. A peaceful protest is fine but announcing a ''peaceful protest'' to just turn it into the purge is not.

Everything that happened, happened as a reaction IC. The protest started out peaceful and before the march could start the police formed a line, blocking further passage through Carson and declaring the assembly illegal. It all happened IC, and there was hardly any violence coming from the protesters. They went into the police department and demanded justice for the murder of Aidan Epps, to which the police demanded everyone go prone or be shot, and then the shooting began. By server rules we couldn't even do much, but shout because there is no violence allowed in government property. (Except for cops, they get a pass it seems.) Unrealistic is bean bagging into glass windows and into your own police department to knock down everyone in the lobby. Realistically dumping that amount of ammunition into a crowd and that type of reaction would of had the whole city in flames and would be horrible publicity for the Sheriffs and the Police department.

Yes by the end there were protesters destroying property, but only after the protest was escalated by the cops. There's a lot of unrealistic representation going on but this entire scenario, at least on the protester's end was not.

2 hours ago, Felos said:

unknown.png

unknown.png

If people want to claim a no-go zone they have to deal with police responding appropriate.

You gotta admit that the amount of cruisers at a scene can be crazy sometimes, with more than four cruisers pulling up to a scene at times.

1 hour ago, sage said:

This is just a fancy way of saying "Hey we're protected oocly pls go away!!", I think it would've been a neater situation if we aren't limited by what we do OOC'ly, let ic be ic for once. 

It might be pretty cool, if the players who want to do the event/incident talk to the staff ahead of time.  If they get surprised with something, of course they're going to stick by the server rules.

And no that's not what I was saying.

11 hours ago, cracked said:

Therefore, it's also kind of unrealistic to bring half of the PD in on a traffic stop & frisk of 2 men! So, I don't know what I'm saying. I feel like there could be some improvement on both sides xD

Hey there! I believe I was one of the initiating officers on the scene you're referring to here. The reason we got so many officers was due to the large civilian and possible gang presence on-scene. Ideally I wouldn't have stopped the 2 right on Grove Street, but what happened happened. We adapted to the situation and in order to properly roleplay our characters' fear about doing a traffic stop in a gang area, we called lots of units down to make sure we didn't get jumped or shot.

• Applaud 1
Just now, Bauer said:

Hey there! I believe I was one of the initiating officers on the scene you're referring to here. The reason we got so many officers was due to the large civilian and possible gang presence on-scene. Ideally I wouldn't have stopped the 2 right on Grove Street, but what happened happened. We adapted to the situation and in order to properly roleplay our characters' fear about doing a traffic stop in a gang area, we called lots of units down to make sure we didn't get jumped or shot.

Ofc, all responses to mine make more sense than mine, the fact that I got responses showed I was somehow contributing to the discussion & i appreciate the explanation! :3

1 hour ago, cracked said:

Ofc, all responses to mine make more sense than mine, the fact that I got responses showed I was somehow contributing to the discussion & i appreciate the explanation! :3

yeah same, tbh we only said "roll us a cover unit" and then half the shift showed up.

there's no reason to say "they had a lot of backup there which is dumb" because whenever we don't have much backup we always end up getting shot up

edit: i didnt know GTA W had this many real-life cops and criminals here to give their unbiased opinions on matters they've experienced first-hand. that's awesome.

Edited by vato1g
  • Applaud 1