Discussion about Protests & Riots

Tseard

Two different things:  rioting/conflict at the station was ok.  invading the station was a violation of server rules because a police station is an OOC no-crime area.  There's no reason staff should make an exception to the rule, and everyone on the server knows the rule.

2 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Bro, if I was a cop and I seen hordes of people armed with sticks and bats running at a station, I'd fire away. Simple as that. And it would be justified.

Phew, good thing you're not a cop then xD

In all seriousness, as someone who's RP'd around Grove and other areas in Davis & has seen how boring it can get sometimes, i kind of understand why people JUMP at the opportunity to point out police acting unjustifiably.

Like, yesterday. Yesterday, a car was, as far as the residents of Grove street knew, stopped for just running a stop sign! :3

Yet 10 police cars showed up, because of a crowd, that was staying on the other side of the street, and consisted of like 10 people.

Police escalated it, by bringing way more police than necessary to the area. It wouldn't be realistic for anyone in this crowd to for example, kill these officers or harm them for no reason (don't make comparisons to irl 2020-2021 USA because that doesn't exist on the server for a reason xD)

Therefore, it's also kind of unrealistic to bring half of the PD in on a traffic stop & frisk of 2 men! So, I don't know what I'm saying. I feel like there could be some improvement on both sides xD

47 minutes ago, cracked said:

In all seriousness, as someone who's RP'd around Grove and other areas in Davis & has seen how boring it can get sometimes, i kind of understand why people JUMP at the opportunity to point out police acting unjustifiably.

Like, yesterday. Yesterday, a car was, as far as the residents of Grove street knew, stopped for just running a stop sign! :3

Yet 10 police cars showed up, because of a crowd, that was staying on the other side of the street, and consisted of like 10 people.

Police escalated it, by bringing way more police than necessary to the area. It wouldn't be realistic for anyone in this crowd to for example, kill these officers or harm them for no reason (don't make comparisons to irl 2020-2021 USA because that doesn't exist on the server for a reason xD)

Therefore, it's also kind of unrealistic to bring half of the PD in on a traffic stop & frisk of 2 men! So, I don't know what I'm saying. I feel like there could be some improvement on both sides xD

I can tell you why they showed up in force. Cause it's Davis.

Edited by Engelbert
1 minute ago, Engelbert said:

I can tell you why they showed up in force. Cause it's Davis.

While I get why the LSPD is militant from an IC standpoint and shows up en masse whenever there's any potentially gang related activity either in Vespucci or South Central, you also can't end up being surprised that in return those communities end up being equally or even more militant against the LSPD in return. 

1 hour ago, cracked said:

Yet cops getting shot by these crowds is fairly common. It's more of a deterrent to prevent the crowd from trying to mob the officer if anything.

11 hours ago, Yoshijira said:

What I do think needs to be improved upon is the actual reaction to a riot after the fact. Everything went back to normal following such. No economic decline due to broken stores and public facilities and amenities, no large sweeping governmental or department reforms due to the fact that an entire neighborhood decided to mobilize due to police actions or that the department somehow managed to have its entire station stormed and temporarily occupied.

I'd love to see players break in to stores surrounding the area of the riot in cooperation with admins to have them closed for a couple days, sorta like how arson works. The majority of IG protests/riots boil down to people brawling with the cops which is fine but it never feels like people capitalize on the overwhelming force and spectacle of a riot for their character's own personal gain. 

I don't think it'd cause an extreme difference to how things normally pan out when it comes to IG protests/riots but it'd be very cool to see, a lot more RP for everybody involved.

39 minutes ago, Yoshijira said:

While I get why the LSPD is militant from an IC standpoint and shows up en masse whenever there's any potentially gang related activity either in Vespucci or South Central, you also can't end up being surprised that in return those communities end up being equally or even more militant against the LSPD in return. 

You know why it happens, gangs never think twice before shooting a cop simply doing his job. Which is why they respond how they respond. Be glad it's democratic country. At my home, cops tend to shoot for less.

What I like: Engaging roleplay that is influenced entirely by player interactions IC and what is reasonably achievable within those means.

What I don't like: Administrators artificially dictating how a roleplay situation should develop without adequate reasoning or explanation.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, cracked said:

unknown.png

unknown.png

If people want to claim a no-go zone they have to deal with police responding appropriate.

9 hours ago, jcat said:

Two different things:  rioting/conflict at the station was ok.  invading the station was a violation of server rules because a police station is an OOC no-crime area.  There's no reason staff should make an exception to the rule, and everyone on the server knows the rule.

This is just a fancy way of saying "Hey we're protected oocly pls go away!!", I think it would've been a neater situation if we aren't limited by what we do OOC'ly, let ic be ic for once. 

• Upvote 1