Discussion about Protests & Riots

Tseard

8 hours ago, Galloway said:

Do you know how much crying that would cause? Not to mention the strain on admins to also keep up with reports. It also wasn't over IC events, the person that gathered people over it on FaceBrowser got banned over it cause they broke the rules for it, hence why it initially was voided.

I'd like to comment from an insider/participating party perspective! First off, the protest last night was fully an IC Issue, sparked over the death (character kill, not a player kill) of Aidan Epps, a teenager/young adult from the South Forum Drive area. The protest was only sparked due to the lack of taser usage upon an unarmed suspect, stemming from his previous rap-sheet and active warrant. From an OOC perspective the protest was originally planned to be a get together movement within the black community, coming after such a tragic event. Multiple days of in-faction planning and IC notifications went into the event.

Now here's why it all went to shit: The first major problem was another IC issue, rival gang members stemming to what may break out into a full on race-war. I don't judge their actions from an IC perspective but from an OOC perspective there's obviously going to be increased tension within the riots if members of another group start to disrespect the fallen by name. If somebody screamed out "I'm smoking that George Floyd pack!' during a riot... Well we all know how that would've went. People shouldn't be held to an OOC standard just because of a few bad apples (which in retrospective, weren't even 'bad apples', they were just following their roleplay as direct rivals of Mr Epps's faction.) 

This is what caused an INITIAL VOID (along with another miscommunication)

( ALSO SELF NOTE, if you're gonna blame 'OOC RIOT STOP!!' atleast look at the bigger picture, this isn't the first time the Epps family has had a large play within our roleplay. Aidan's mother is a Real Character played another user, as she's the parental figure for all three of her (1 now, two are deceased already) children.
PSA: Same Character was involved within the Funeral for Nalani Epps, pretty sure she had over 20 hours pre-death of Aidan.

)

But then this happened.

Now, it's a mob, a protest, nobody is going to stop random people from joining the crowd. With the second attempt at the protest, everybody was lead from South Forum Drive towards Carson, being stopped by the police department at the corner of what-I-believe is is independence avenue or w/e. This where the group that was actually attempting to roleplay the riot broke off, running back towards where they initially came from in an attempt to hold our realism. We retreated to grove before being stopped again, breaking off before somehow regrouping. The protest continued down this road as we made our way towards the Mission Row police station. 

Now riots, peaceful protests, what you're gonna call them usually are messed up by a few bad apples. Once hitting Mission Row a group of about twenty-thirty people stormed the place as if it were the capital again, screaming 'No Justice, No Peace!', which is where photos like this come from. You can't really blame a protest, which are usually a slurry of emotions, for turning into what was essentially a riot. Everybody within the station, including my self, was rightfully detained and/or prosecuted for our crimes.  Don't hold the entire roleplay as a group towards the actions of one person. I Agree with your previous statement honestly, at-least once person will join to DM And/Or Troll. Personally, I just believe that whomever is responsible should be held accountable for THEIR actions.

unknown.png?width=1341&height=650

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Shields said:

There were carbine rifles found during the search warrant raid of his property including ammunition for them.

It's nonsensical roleplay AND poor character development and portrayal.

LOL

I'm not going to be toxic, I'm just gonna state the obvious here: That's how Illegal Roleplay works. I don't mean to offend you but, I'm not sure where you're currently living at to be confused by such. Woah? A Teenager has the equivalent of an AR15 (For fairness, I'll say a HK416/17 or a M16/M4 but I'm sure nobody is roleplaying w one of those)? You're roleplaying within a country where children usually obtain their first firearms around 7 (From a legal perspective.) or at least shoot one, and most gang bangers are usually put on around the age of 12-16 yet you're confused how a 16-year-old obtained such weaponry? Preposterous if you ask me, I can't begin to fathom how one could believe such is poor portrayal? Poor character development? Have you even seen said players development or character story? I apologize but, what you're saying right now seems very uneducated from my perspective. 

Just the smallest amount of research could disprove this statement. If you're gonna argue here, at-least do such.

• Upvote 1

It's really worrying seeing people getting so bent out of shape OOCly for an IC issue, if anything this sort of stuff should be encouraged. I'm not going to debate the technicalities of what spurred the event, but I'd ask everyone that feels this was done in poor taste to remember that a large group of people borderline laid siege to the US Capitol not even a year ago because their preferred politician didn't win. Honestly, civil unrest is basically a commonality of American life now. 

Plus, think about all the RP this generates? Someone mentioned that there were fresh boys in blue straight out the academy here, can you imagine getting to RP that? Your very first night in your new job and you're quite literally thrown into the fire and flames? That's some bombass character development. What about the people that might go find some lawyers from the JSA and try to initiate suits against the city or PD/SD? BAM! That's more RP generated not only on the civvie side, but it gives those lawyers a very unique opportunity to become the legal face of an IC movement - Again, this is only generating more RP. What about the gov faction who, come elections, have the ability to work this into their platform? Use it as a way to enhance their base essentially and try and score them brownie points with a specific block of voters. And of course, there's the protestors - Who ICly, can of course feel this is a valid issue and want to see it addressed. I could go on. 

TLDR: This is realistic if you've ever paid mild attention to the US news. It also generates RP like a magical box. Good shit to everyone involved, glad to see mostly positive feelings toward it. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Shields said:

What is evidently clear to me is if if the best the illegal roleplay community can offer are 16 year olds harbouring carbine rifles, rolling around shooting / murdering cops and committing endless crimes etc, then the illegal roleplay community really needs rethink out realistic character portrayal and how what is realistic and what is not realistic.

Complete nonsense.

You're most-likely not American, can tell from the U within Harboring. If you believe such is so evidently clear to you then I'm kinda confused about how seriously you take your own roleplay. Most LSPD Officers I've encountered usually have a clear understanding of the community and its functions, whilst being able to wrap their own roleplay and ideals around it. It's became evidently clear towards me that's your not from this backwater ass country that we refer to as America, as previously stated. I'm gonna have to ask you to kindly, just please, do some research on our shitty country before attempting to inject your two sense. 

Edited by Nasvectica
3 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

It's really worrying seeing people getting so bent out of shape OOCly for an IC issue, if anything this sort of stuff should be encouraged. I'm not going to debate the technicalities of what spurred the event, but I'd ask everyone that feels this was done in poor taste to remember that a large group of people borderline laid siege to the US Capitol not even a year ago because their preferred politician didn't win. Honestly, civil unrest is basically a commonality of American life now. 

Plus, think about all the RP this generates? Someone mentioned that there were fresh boys in blue straight out the academy here, can you imagine getting to RP that? Your very first night in your new job and you're quite literally thrown into the fire and flames? That's some bombass character development. What about the people that might go find some lawyers from the JSA and try to initiate suits against the city or PD/SD? BAM! That's more RP generated not only on the civvie side, but it gives those lawyers a very unique opportunity to become the legal face of an IC movement - Again, this is only generating more RP. What about the gov faction who, come elections, have the ability to work this into their platform? Use it as a way to enhance their base essentially and try and score them brownie points with a specific block of voters. And of course, there's the protestors - Who ICly, can of course feel this is a valid issue and want to see it addressed. I could go on. 

TLDR: This is realistic if you've ever paid mild attention to the US news. It also generates RP like a magical box. Good shit to everyone involved, glad to see mostly positive feelings toward it. 

Preach!

4 hours ago, SugarDavis said:

1) Some kind of in game event occurs triggering a large police response.

2) Sometime during that event, things go south for the police and it's clear they might not be walking away victorious. 

3) Admins intervene and RP is paused/voided (most events stop here). 

3a) RP is unpaused and aloud to continue. 

4) Police proceed "lose" in some capacity whether that be a large number of LEOs being injured or killed, mass destruction of one of their buildings, high profile suspects escaping the scene, etc. 

then we wake up, realise it isnt a cops and robbers server

then we look at a situation where a large number of leos being killed, where mass destruction of public infrastructure happens and high profile suspects escaping the scene.

we look at charges of capital murder of government workers, terrorism and fugitivism from justice, all three of which would involve the fed; capital murder and terrorism the fbi, running from justice both the fbi and the us marshals.

cops have a monopoly on violence, the country does. wanna know what happens when the cops cant handle something? the national guard gets deployed. the federal government musters agencies that operate nationwide and you get pinched. you don't want that, i'm sure

it's the rule of law, it isnt supposed to be balanced. the only way you get to sit comfy and write this message is because people that have the same twisted justifications as this post actually realise that fighting the law in your country is a losing proposition, and know that the law has more bodies, more guns and more resources.

be thankful realism takes a step back for your fun to fill the gap. if we were endlessly realistic on here, your complaints would be entirely different.

• Upvote 1

Nothing wrong with protests whatsoever as far as I'm concerned. They occur in real life, and just like in real life; there's always bound to be people who abuse the good intentions for the sake of meaningless violence or to throw a bottle or brick at law enforcement. It happens across the globe, and especially happens in the US whenever there are any kind of large protests.

If people wanna make it violent? By all means, I implore you; be violent within realistic boundaries.

If people want protests to be more peaceful? Then actually get leadership at protests like they do in real life. Elect a figurehead/speaker, make sure all protestors are on the same page and aren't just random people who wrapped a t-shirt around their head.

The only thing that I ask is that admins get on top of despawning vehicles in the vicinity of an event, and I really mean get on top of it. The amount of vehicles that had been left casually parked up during the most recent protest that weren't despawned despite requests (which incredibly tanked both server & clientside performance for all participants) was appalling.

2 hours ago, Helm said:

There's two big issues I have with the protests / riots I've been apart of.

One, the protesters themselves are generally insincere and don't actually care about anything / have a message to bring. They are almost always career criminals. Most of them are quite literally just there to cause violence / disruption, with no actual motive. This is the rule, rather than the exception that it is IRL at very similar events. As such, I feel like these roleplay protests / riots trivialize actual, important IRL issues such as police misuse of force and racial discrimination by misrepresenting the type of people that would actually be out protesting against police misuse of force.

That is more of a pet peeve of mine rather than an actual, actionable complaint that admins will care about.

The second thing, is that even on 1.1 these events are extremely laggy and stenuous on the server / game, and character models, vehicles, and even the environment will start to disappear when too many players clump together like that. Really makes the whole thing not as fun / interesting, as a good chunk of people there can't even properly see what's going on.

Gang-bangers are always on the front lines, during protests, especially when it involves anything regarding police brutality against a black person.

5 hours ago, Shields said:

What is evidently clear to me is if if the best the illegal roleplay community can offer are 16 year olds harbouring carbine rifles, rolling around shooting / murdering cops and committing endless crimes etc, then the illegal roleplay community really needs rethink out realistic character portrayal and how what is realistic and what is not realistic.

Complete nonsense.

Boring. 

This shit happens in real life. One google search, and I'll find you hundreds of articles. The server isn't a utopia where people get to go around on their jolly day, and roleplay being British cops. Stop generalizing all illegal rpers too. Why are you pressed about a situation that happened, and most of the people involved had fun?

Just because something doesn't go your way, it doesn't mean you need to belittle it.

Edited by Itay_Waknine
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1