Discussion about Protests & Riots

Tseard

43 minutes ago, Galloway said:

Do you know how much crying that would cause? Not to mention the strain on admins to also keep up with reports. It also wasn't over IC events, the person that gathered people over it on FaceBrowser got banned over it cause they broke the rules for it, hence why it initially was voided.

it was over IC events, please stop speaking if you don't have the facts bro.

I can provide some context for last night's riots as I was involved from start to finish. 

A few days prior, the character involved decided to shoot at a deputy during a traffic stop and killed them. This lead to them being identified.

SD found that person later and they ran away on foot. During the foot pursuit, he entered a vehicle. The driver turned the engine off and stepped out.
He stepped out and everybody saw a gun in his hand. From their perspective, SD saw a cop killer pull a gun on them. He was then shot.
This was a sync issue. The player themselves never pulled a gun.

It got reported in-game but due to the incredible amount of shooting going on elsewhere at the time, no admin got to the report in a timely manner.
The player decided to CK.
Information was spread about the shooting. Similar to real life, false information was spread and context was omitted. This is an IC issue.

The protest itself was fine for the most part and enjoyable. There was several instances of rulebreaking and poor escalation during it though. Players didn't roleplay the effects of teargas or being hit by multiple beanbag rounds. Someone decided to pull a handgun and shoot at an entire tactical team because someone got beanbagged beside him for hitting an occupied vehicle with a bat. Those are just the examples I witnessed personally but there was more that happened during the event that I didn't see.

Protests always turn violent and they should be supervised by admins a lot better in my opinion. As mentioned previously, throwaway characters are a problem. Many players who have no connection to the reason for these protests show up and end up ruining them. I couldn't handle this one as an admin myself because I was on scene for the shooting. Smaller scale protests without rulebreaking can create a lot of roleplay and give consequences for IC actions.

Edited by Keane
  • Upvote 6

Riots can't be interesting if some parties choose not to roleplay consequences. I don't think it's really good roleplay to pretend the station's front desk to be pristine the day after what's essentially an armed intrusion.

You said people wouldn't like LSPD reacting? I don't think anybody would complain if there were units permanently stationed around Mission Row to protect city property and equipment. The building's layout lends itself well to perfectly plausible fortifications.

Edited by arrdef
20 minutes ago, Keane said:

I can provide some context for last night's riots as I was involved from start to finish. 

A few days prior, the character involved decided to shoot at a deputy during a traffic stop and killed them. This lead to them being identified.

SD found that person later and they ran away on foot. During the foot pursuit, he entered a vehicle. The driver turned the engine off and stepped out.
He stepped out and everybody saw a gun in his hand. From their perspective, SD saw a cop killer pull a gun on them. He was then shot.
This was a sync issue. The player themselves never pulled a gun.

It got reported in-game but due to the incredible amount of shooting going on elsewhere at the time, no admin got to the report in a timely manner.
The player decided to CK.
This player then used their Facebrowser account as their NPC mother to say his own character was shot while unarmed, despite this not being the case.
While false information gets spread around after police shootings in real life all the time, in this situation it was metagamed.

The protest itself was fine for the most part and enjoyable. There was several instances of rulebreaking and poor escalation during it though. One of the earliest things to happen was a molotov being thrown at a deputy when prior to that, it was just small rocks being thrown. The protesters also decided to shoot at some people in a nearby alley. Players didn't roleplay the effects of teargas or being hit by multiple beanbag rounds. Someone decided to pull a handgun and shoot at an entire tactical team because someone got beanbagged beside him for hitting an occupied vehicle with a bat. Those are just the examples I witnessed personally. There was plenty of examples of rulebreaking in a situation that started because someone broke the rules in the first place.

Protests always turn violent and they should be supervised by admins a lot better in my opinion. As mentioned previously, throwaway characters are a problem. Many players who have no connection to the reason for these protests show up and end up ruining them. I couldn't handle this one as an admin myself because I was on scene for the shooting. Smaller scale protests without rulebreaking can create a lot of roleplay and give consequences for IC actions.

Well to correct you real quick, you were correct about the first half about how the riot came about. The player that posted about the riot on his Facebrowser page actually has someone roleplaying as his mother in game and he didn’t even write the paragraph out, his mother was also at the candlelight event we had a few weeks prior to this one for her daughter that also died as a result to gun violence. He was banned without even having the chance to explain where he was coming from which is very much unfair, you can’t even tell me otherwise. The protest was supposed to be peaceful and there were people leading the protest before all hell broke loose. The whole point of the protest was to march down Carson Avenue and show numbers against the issue, not riot and fuck everything up. Like people said, when you have a large amount of people then shit goes left more than likely and that’s exactly what happened. The protesters actually didn’t shoot anybody in the alleyway, there were people on the sidelines that weren’t protesting but actually hurling insults about the dead player and some racist ones as well. The crowd chose to go into the alleyway in order to go around the police barricade and when they did? They were met with like 6-8 people armed with knives and they began attacking the large group of protesters which led to the attacking group shooting and killing two protesters, not the other way around. The group was very demotivated to even continue the event after this happened and then the organizers ban happened a couple minutes afterwards, he wasn’t even the one that organized the event either. It was me on my older character going around and spreading, preaching about how the violence needs to stop and you can’t fight violence with violence and all that type of shit. I was doing a good job at keeping the peace for the most part until the interaction with said group happened, obviously provoking the protesters and as can be expected, they said something back. I still don’t understand why the player was banned and the protest was voided but then “miscommunication” was a factor then it resumed but the player was still banned. 

Edited by the real trop
22 minutes ago, Keane said:

This player then used their Facebrowser account as their NPC mother to say his own character was shot while unarmed, despite this not being the case.
While false information gets spread around after police shootings in real life all the time, in this situation it was metagamed.

Hey, I was the person you're speaking about here. I would like to clear up some things you forgot to add on. Someone has the characters mother ICly, she was actually attended the last candle light we had. I don't run the character nor do I know the player OOCly. 

Anyways, I didn't write the FB post. I was told to do it as the player who has the character "Nadia Epps" ICly told me to post it. If you need evidence of the character being a actual character you can message me on discord.  

unknown.png

Aidan Epps' mother "Nadia Epps".

The protest itself was fine for the most part and enjoyable. There was several instances of rulebreaking and poor escalation during it though. One of the earliest things to happen was a molotov being thrown at a deputy when prior to that, it was just small rocks being thrown. The protesters also decided to shoot at some people in a nearby alley. Players didn't roleplay the effects of teargas or being hit by multiple beanbag rounds. Someone decided to pull a handgun and shoot at an entire tactical team because someone got beanbagged beside him for hitting an occupied vehicle with a bat. Those are just the examples I witnessed personally. There was plenty of examples of rulebreaking in a situation that started because someone broke the rules in the first place.

You're contradicting yourself now. No bodycam of the shooting was shown ICly to the public correct? The only thing that was passed around was 30 SD Deputies gunning a 15 year old down. 

I'll speak on this, most of this happened after management Voided, then Un-Voided the situation, but kept me banned.

Onto the molotov, it was thrown after Connor Bennett got shot with a rubber bullet by Dennis Chua. We didn't escalate the situation one bit, it was on SD's side. 

For your concerns about what happened in the alley, those people didn't have anything to do with the protest, it was TFlats and Rancho provoking at a protest. They ran into the alley where they started punching everyone also pulling out guns and shooting at us. This was already handled as I spoke to both of the leaders of both factions, they said they handled it ICly and OOCly.

Other then that, I can't really tell you or explain what happened, everything was going fine until I got banned. 

There was plenty of examples of rulebreaking in a situation that started because someone broke the rules in the first place.

Edited by Sufi
  • Upvote 5
2 minutes ago, SCANDALOUZ said:

OP: Me and other LEOs don't wish to take part in this kind of role play, given how it isn't going very well for us.

LMAO.

I wasn't present, but just lmao at what you accidently implied.

That's what you make up and not what is said. I honestly don't know how a party can win in a riot, it's a lose-lose for all parties. I'm talking about all of the riots that have taken place and how they're always done without the least amount of roleplay.