Discussion about Protests & Riots

Tseard

Hello all,

I know that this topic is going to be controversial and is going to spark a lot of opinions but I feel that it is necessary to discuss. 

Just this morning I woke up to about 7 pings on Discord regarding a riot and a police station being under attack. As this all happened early morning, I went into the chats and figured out what happened and saw some videos and screenshots of the incident. 

What I wish to discuss is the number of protests and riots we've had on this server and how many times they occur and start to be violent. To me it starts to become rather unrealistic and annoying to witness yet another riot happening where people will go all in to either be violent or to respond to the scene as law enforcer. Protests are fine with me and I can understand that people wish to do one in regards to something that happened in-game but it seems to become a trend that all protests turn into riots. What happened with organizing an event somewhere and remain peaceful and obey the law to get your message across?  

Talking about the event that happened this morning. If I have to believe, the entire front desk of the Mission Row Station would be destroyed by a group of 30 individuals wielding melee weapons, doors would be destroyed, glass would be shattered, computers would be totaled. As beanbags were used, people just started to run behind solid objects to not get hit without too much roleplay. 

How are people supposed to roleplay this? It would take days, perhaps even weeks, to clear up the entire mess, get it investigated, get new furniture in, replace new items. This next morning, people just roleplayed the station as ''old'' because there is nothing else that can be done. The LSPD can't just pump out a temporarily station somewhere in the city, get it mapped, get script support and use that. 

I understand that people feel this roleplay is exciting, action packed, fun to do and interesting but at the same time, how many times is this allowed to happen? We've had a Fire Station being burned down in the past, we've had days on riots just a few months ago, now a Police Station that is trashed. I know that there are some people that will log out as soon as these kind of events happen from the law enforcement side. We can't say no to a Sergeant that we do not want to respond. We are dragged into this kind of roleplay since it's so huge. 

Frankly, I and others don't wish to participate in this kind of roleplay anymore. It brings little to much roleplay other than the event itself. People will speak about it for the two days after but it is then forgotten about and never mentioned again. Realistically, this would have a huge impact, would be broadcasted nation wide and discussed into details. The police would get stricter policies and maybe even more room to crack down on this but I can imagine that players will complain once the police will start to crack down harder and quicker. 

I hope that this can be discussed peacefully and that this won't be locked instantly. I truly hope there will be some kind of intervention by the management of GTAW to stop these event's happening every few months. A peaceful protest is fine but announcing a ''peaceful protest'' to just turn it into the purge is not.

Edited by Tseard
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Tseard said:

To me it starts to become rather unrealistic and annoying to witness yet another riot happening where people will go all in to either be violent or to respond to the scene as law enforcer.

*Laughs in 100+ days of continuous riots in Portland last summer*

LEO RPers routinely cause inconvenience for illegal RPers. The LEO RPers will be just fine if they're inconvenienced for a week while their station is renovated. This post reeks of being salty that admins didn't step in and secure a win for LEO factions like they're used to. 

• Upvote 6
  • Applaud 5
4 minutes ago, SugarDavis said:

*Laughs in 100+ days of continuous riots in Portland last summer*

LEO RPers routinely cause inconvenience for illegal RPers. The LEO RPers will be just fine if they're inconvenienced for a week while their station is renovated. This post reeks of being salty that admins didn't step in and secure a win for LEO factions like they're used to. 

Don't know what you are on about but not surprised coming by you. I wasn't at the event and frankly it doesn't matter what side wins, it's about the general grasp of such things happening. 

Just now, i dont wanna od in LA said:

If it's over IC events then it's over IC events. If people start burning down the inner cities get admins to spawn themselves as NG and start shooting with no warnings given or questions asked.

sign me up

1 minute ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

If it's over IC events then it's over IC events. If people start burning down the inner cities get admins to spawn themselves as NG and start shooting with no warnings given or questions asked.

Do you know how much crying that would cause? Not to mention the strain on admins to also keep up with reports. It also wasn't over IC events, the person that gathered people over it on FaceBrowser got banned over it cause they broke the rules for it, hence why it initially was voided.

Just now, Galloway said:

Do you know how much crying that would cause? Not to mention the strain on admins to also keep up with reports. It also wasn't over IC events, the person that gathered people over it on FaceBrowser got banned over it cause they broke the rules for it, hence why it initially was voided.

I'm not talking about any particular scenario here because I simply have no knowledge of it. All I'm saying is that if an event like this is to happen over a valid IC reason (i.e. a cop kills somebody and their family/friends/whoever starts some fundraiser/riot/march thing) then it should be allowed and dealt with via IC means. Otherwise, it obviously shouldn't be allowed if it's meant to be used as a DM fest or whatever like that.

6 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I'm not talking about any particular scenario here because I simply have no knowledge of it. All I'm saying is that if an event like this is to happen over a valid IC reason (i.e. a cop kills somebody and their family/friends/whoever starts some fundraiser/riot/march thing) then it should be allowed and dealt with via IC means. Otherwise, it obviously shouldn't be allowed if it's meant to be used as a DM fest or whatever like that.

And that's the point OP is making here, no peaceful protest ever remains peaceful on this server. People will join in, just to DM and do non-rp things because they feel it's an excuse. They always turn into cluster fucks which are just no fun, not too mention the lack of roleplay that generally is involved from most parties. You have people running around shouting whatever nonsense because they simply have no idea what the 'protest' is actually meant to be 'protesting', which again comes back to my point of people joining just to join and do a bunch of stupid shit.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Galloway said:

And that's the point OP is making here, no peaceful protest ever remains peaceful on this server. People will join in, just to DM and do non-rp things because they feel it's an excuse. They always turn into cluster fucks which are just no fun, not too mention the lack of roleplay that generally is involved from most parties. You have people running around shouting whatever nonsense because they simply have no idea what the 'protest' is actually meant to be 'protesting', which again comes back to my point of people joining just to join and do a bunch of stupid shit.

I fully agree with what you're saying but there's no other way to make it work than have a constant admin presence during such events. Perhaps a change to the rules could be made that the group/person hosting such a march/protest should obtain an admin's permission in order to start it?

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA