Admin NPC Phonecalls during /breakins

If you don't already know when doing a /breakin once your request is accepted after 1-2 minutes after being inside which is barely enough time to get hardly 1-2 lines of RP in, the admin handling your breakin request does an NPC phone call as a neighbor alerting the police.

What are your thoughts on it, because NPCs aren't allowed in RP and the actual server population is the actual IC population, so I feel the NPC phonecall rule during breakins should either be removed or bumped up to 5-10 minutes, as it gives the robbers more chances to RP if there isn't an alarm. 

Being honest, NPCs are used on the server. Just not widely. 

Like FD, when theres a fire 9/10 if its admin involved, there'll be a 'concerned citizen' lurking that called 911. 

I don't have an issue with this rule, I guess it just sucks if you aren't a fast typer. Could possibly bump it up a little to give people a chance.

24 minutes ago, Jorgensen said:

Being honest, NPCs are used on the server. Just not widely. 

Like FD, when theres a fire 9/10 if its admin involved, there'll be a 'concerned citizen' lurking that called 911. 

I don't have an issue with this rule, I guess it just sucks if you aren't a fast typer. Could possibly bump it up a little to give people a chance.

To be fair, in all robberies, it's not a matter of the robber being a slow typer, it's admins being slow to respond to what you find, which could possibly lead to up to ten minutes of you sitting there waiting, possibly spamming for a reply.

Admins calling in on behalf of NPCs needs to be used more. This server has a weird phenomenon where nobody (figuratively speaking) calls 911. I've played on servers with lower pop that had higher 911 call volume than this server. 

Recently I was involved in a situation where a group of people were beating down a guy at the gas station in Sandy Shores. Realistically there'd be somebody out there who'd call 911. Made a report to see if we could get an NPC to report it to the police. Immediately closed with the excuse that a player can call 911 if they're witnessing it. Well problem is that basically everyone involved was an aggressor, poor dude stood no chance. 

Edited by SugarDavis

It's perfectly reasonable to NPC phone calls, maybe bump it up a little on some occasions to give the robbers a fairer chance depending on the time of the day, the amount of noise the robbers would be making and the area the robbery is occurring at, but they make absolute sense. The success rate of robberies would be unrealistically high if these calls didn't happen which is exactly the opposite of what we need in a city with its already monstrously high crime rate. 

25 minutes ago, SugarDavis said:

Admins calling in on behalf of NPCs needs to be used more. This server has a weird phenomenon where nobody (figuratively speaking) calls 911. I've played on servers with lower pop that had higher 911 call volume than this server. 

Recently I was involved in a situation where a group of people were beating down a guy at the gas station in Sandy Shores. Realistically there'd be somebody out there who'd call 911. Made a report to see if we could get an NPC to report it to the police. Immediately closed with the excuse that a player can call 911 if they're witnessing it. Well problem is that basically everyone involved was an aggressor, poor dude stood no chance. 

Look up the bystander effect. You'd be surprised how many people just continue on with their day like they didn't just see some fucked up shit happening. A lot of people in that situation wouldn't call the police simply for fear of being targeted by those people themselves. People who call 911 during these incidents are not random bystanders, they are almost always someone who has some layer of protection from the incident, IE someone looking outside their house or a store window. 

That being said I don't particularly have a problem with NPCs calling police if you're doing a "fast and loud" style break in but definitely think it should be circumstantial and not routine on every single break in attempt, and the amount of time taken for them to call should vary. 

19 minutes ago, SugarDavis said:

Recently I was involved in a situation where a group of people were beating down a guy at the gas station in Sandy Shores. Realistically there'd be somebody out there who'd call 911... Well problem is that basically everyone involved was an aggressor, poor dude stood no chance. 

As a long-time resident of Blaine County I can tell you no one ever shows up when we call 911 unless it's an "interesting" call like an active shooting, so most people don't bother calling unless it's something serious.

Your last sentence is exactly why there shouldn't be admins calling 911 as NPC's. Sandy ICly is a "closed community". Everyone knows everyone and locals are held above all others. If an out-of-towner gets lippy and the entire local posse decides to teach him a lesson, then keep that IC. Why would I call 911 on the guy I see every other day to save some asshole I'll probably never see again? Ultimately, the choice to call 911 is that of the local population. If someone wants to call 911 on their neighbors that's an IC decision with IC consequences.

The problem with NPC's is they don't exist (duh), and therefore there's no interaction. It's like some faceless entity just summoned the LSPD from thin air. It doesn't just feel unfair, it is unfair.

• Upvote 2

NPC's are used by staff to give PD an unfair advantage, it's not just breakin's or fires. I had a faction CK which took place way out in the middle of nowhere, well coordinated and well planned. After the CK we were informed by a staff member that a "camper" in the area had seen the CK unfold and had immediately contacted police. When we pressed the admin for more information since 1. We didn't see any campers and 2. we wouldn't have gone through with the plan if we had we were told "Well, nobody really comes out here so it's the admins way of making things fair". 

Bodies and evidence disappears, I get that. It's not something we as a community can do much about but Jesus Christ if your trying to make things fair this is the absolutely worst way to do it. In theory I can see why an admin might think it's the right call but in practice it almost always ends up with the criminal getting fucked while PD has an arrest handed to them on a silver platter. 

Not to mention staff (Mostly management) occasionally spawn themselves in as gunmen or barricaded suspects to give metro and SWAT a fun scenario for them to use all their toys in. Disregarding the fact that they might be doing so in the middle of an area actively used by gang RPers and will likely get those players fucked. 

Imagine my factions reaction when we found out what we thought was a RICO indictment coming down was actually a staff member with a spawned in AK shooting cops in our apartment complex.

• Upvote 1

So I NPC call 911 on breakins and fires, and sometimes when I see an accident happen on a busy street but when there is no one around.

Because of the way breakins are supervised, I will handle the breakin first and give feedback to what burglars might find inside. When they are done and gone, and there is no alarm that went off, I might NPC a 911 call if I believe the area is busy enough where someone might notice something from the outside. A broken window, a kicked in door, etcetera. Really though, the burglary itself and responding to the questions about if anything might be found where the burglars are searching is enough work and doesn't even give me time to properly call 911 before they are actually gone. 

If you have a specific issue with how a breakin request was handled, you can staff report them, but it might be worth asking first how much time was actually between your breakin and calling 911. Usually, more than enough time is in between. The only other issue I can think of is if the house alarm failed and 911 had to be called manually instead.