Is it possible to have a functional stock market???

Darex567

Good Morning my fellow internet roleplayers, 

I have been asking myself several questions in regards to this community and I thought, why isn't there (to my knowledge) a stock market? I mean, what could go wrong? 

If you guys have any ideas about this, it would be appreciated and I'm looking for an answer from the admins too!

42 minutes ago, Coburn said:

Like Biscuit says, start one! Problem is, its a MASSIVE amount of work.

33 minutes ago, shaobadman said:

i've seen another server with it but i have no idea if it is "functional" in the sense that prices are actually based on anything, or if they're just arbitrary and move for player benefit

This kind of covers it already.

Players could start one, or the staff could. Either way it'd be a tremendous amount of work for something that might just crumble to pieces, shao actually said something that is probably the most viable, if one was to be made which could be a emulation stock market where the prices just move and it doesn't have to correlate off of anything in the state of the server.

Makes me think of something like Mafia Returns (which is just a browser game) where they have a drug market and the prices just bounce around and it's on players to watch to make sure they cash out properly, You're also limited (via rank/progress) to how much you can pick up.. Flip this to stocks and I don't see why we couldn't have one although it would need to be really fleshed out to stop people from just making very easy bank.

Just my two cents, interesting idea.

• Upvote 1

While the concept might be neat, I think it will be hard to implement in any way that doesn't just promote blatant money-making without roleplay involved.

My fear is that it will be another mechanic players use, like poker, where little actual roleplay is involved, but where money-making is a possibility.

I would be against this ever becoming a thing unless some very knowledgeable people ran it, and even then, I'd want heavy regulation and oversight on it from the admin team.

Next to impossible without scripted support and/or a bunch of start-up capital for paying out profit on shares. I've been wanting to try something similar for a while but haven't yet reached a suitable compromise between faithfully emulating stock trading and what is achievable in-game.

Don't forget to push Webistics.

I think we need to improve the existing economy before adding more complexity to it 😄  I don't see how we could have meaningful stock prices that move up and down with some logic right now.  Also there are so few players, it would just be people pump and dumping stocks or finding some other way to manipulate the prices that wouldn't be realistic.

The answer is no. A proper, realistic and functional stock market could not be implemented, especially not at this point in time.

A very basic one? Sure. A random one (but not a "functional" one)? It'd be harder, but possible. I've personally seen companies sell stock to investors, although this is hardly realistic, since these companies were always evaluated based on little to no data, but rather a personal opinion in the lines of "My company is worth $2 million, so here's 20% for $400,000". Most of the time, 

You'd, first of all, need a building. That's the least of the problems. You would need an organization (faction) to supervise it, a counterpart of the SEC, and a counterpart of the IRS. This would already be almost impossible, since not many people are open to role-playing a financial auditor, spend their 3 hours a day tracing numbers from one account to another and so on. Then you would need large, long-standing companies - this is already a problem, since the vast, vast majority of the legal scene is comprised of nightclubs, bars, grocery stores, gun stores and so on, most of these being set up and sold or closed down within months - none of these would ever qualify to be listed on a real-life stock market.

Now let's say that everything is set up - you need people with money to invest in them. There's plenty, which means that the companies will be valued at millions and tens of millions. In time, this will also increase inflation, which is already at a ridiculous level. You would also need brokers, so that companies can sell their stock and people can buy it. Moreover, these companies (the listed ones) would need to have extremely active accountants - having top-notch financial statements is vital, but it's a must if your company is public.

In the end, these companies would need to pay dividends. How would that even happen? You'd need a very, very, very complex system in place for people to trade these stocks, to know who owns what at which point in time, who gets a dividend and who doesn't. You would also need a highly-realistic and complex tax system (a "20% tax on all profits" won't work), besides the script support, the coding that would go into this system and in the end, you might end up with either a joke or no companies at all.

"Starting" a stock exchange is not really possible. A normal person can't really do it - in theory, yes, but in practice, not really. You need a lot of money, a lot of time, a lot of people who work across a lot of different range of careers, and much, much more.

Even if you'd be able to start a "random" stock exchange, that wouldn't be a stock exchange, just a betting site. You can definitely sell stock in your own company, but that's pretty much it - finding people to buy it is hard as it is. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic