ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms) Like Agency

Just now, Kasper McQueen said:

If the ATF sees a brewing site in the woods, they can do some investigative work, do a stakeout, and then see if whoever is brewing is selling it illegally. That is the premise; scale doesn't matter. It's as if they're breaking the law and the RP here. The whole point is to do investigation work on the law side and the criminals have to be smarter about their activities. This opens up a whole range of RP possibilities. I don't think we have to follow each line of reality when it comes to RP in a virtual space here. 

It doesn't open any range of rp possibilities. What it does instead is opening a really wide range of stupidity. You keep saying ATF this ATF that, while it doesn't really make any sense. As I already pointed out above, in order for DOJ to operate we'd need the federal courts and the US DOJ and this simply won't happen. A state agency dedicated to "illegal brewing" wouldn't work out either, like who does that? Let me remind you that we're portraying a modern-day LA County counterpart, not 1970s Texas.

Just now, i dont wanna od in LA said:

It doesn't open any range of rp possibilities. What it does instead is opening a really wide range of stupidity. You keep saying ATF this ATF that, while it doesn't really make any sense. As I already pointed out above, in order for DOJ to operate we'd need the federal courts and the US DOJ and this simply won't happen. A state agency dedicated to "illegal brewing" wouldn't work out either, like who does that? Let me remind you that we're portraying a modern-day LA County counterpart, not 1970s Texas.

My title is ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms) Like Agency, hence "Like Agency." I don't understand how you still haven't picked up the fact that I'm using ATF as an example. In the modern day they still have an ATF and ATF like agencies, so what's your point?

1 hour ago, Bauer said:

I think maybe as a task force within PD/SD (maybe a joint task force). However, I don't think adding a fifth LEO faction is the solution.

LAPD already has several task forces under their Gang and Narcotics Division, mainly with the DEA, FBI, and US Marshals. So it wouldn't be unrealistic for us to add a LSPD/LSSD joint task force.

Right, it doesn't have to be anything completely separate as long as it has its sole purpose. As long as the other agencies know when it's a case for another department to handle. Then through the proper chain of command, they can hand it off. I don't think two departments should handle every different kind of case.

57 minutes ago, Rasta said:

To be honest why wouldn't it carry the same weight? Police focused tasks in one direction create roleplay for that specific direction, don't see how it would have a different mentality or be watered down.

I can picture a hypothetical scenario where the criminals just think of them being raided by "regular cops," so they try to fight back. If they were to be raided by the ATF they know they're in trouble and it's a reason why the ATF is knocking. 

Like if a cop knocked on my door, I would be like, what the hell? If a swat team knocked on my door, I would be like, WTF!?

20 minutes ago, Kasper McQueen said:

Do the LEO factions actively follow crimes, create leads, interrogate and execute sting operations directly about alcohol, tobacco, and firearms with the full intent to lower these illegal activities?

I never said they did. I said they could. There's already to different detective bureaus. 

5 minutes ago, Kasper McQueen said:

I can picture a hypothetical scenario where the criminals just think of them being raided by "regular cops," so they try to fight back. If they were to be raided by the ATF they know they're in trouble and it's a reason why the ATF is knocking. 

Like if a cop knocked on my door, I would be like, what the hell? If a swat team knocked on my door, I would be like, WTF!?

That's your personal reaction on the given situation. Fact is that if cops are involved its a very serious situation, why would anyone fight back the cops and not the ATF? They carry the same weight and both are LEOs in every aspect. If you are getting raided by the cops it doesnt matter what title they carry, they are still "cops", so the reaction example makes no sense.

I am strictly against the creation of more LEO factions and all for the expansion of already existing ones. Cops investigate all aspects of the penal code so what would warrant the creation of a LEO faction that would only focus on a few? I do not believe it would bring anything to the table than what is already possible trough existing LEO factions. Investigative work is for detectives and Im pretty sure they need more man power in the force, not another LEO faction with a mind of their own.

1 minute ago, Tennplugg said:

I never said they did. I said they could. There's already to different detective bureaus. 

So no, they don't, and do they have plans on doing anything like this in the future? My whole suggestion is an injection of this agency, even if it's under the branch of existing bureaus that will recruit from already active LEOs.

(I'm not trying to be mean here, I'm asking questions to help round out this suggestion.)

2 minutes ago, Rasta said:

That's your personal reaction on the given situation. Fact is that if cops are involved its a very serious situation, why would anyone fight back the cops and not the ATF? They carry the same weight and both are LEOs in every aspect. If you are getting raided by the cops it doesnt matter what title they carry, they are still "cops", so the reaction example makes no sense.

I am strictly against the creation of more LEO factions and all for the expansion of already existing ones. Cops investigate all aspects of the penal code so what would warrant the creation of a LEO faction that would only focus on a few? I do not believe it would bring anything to the table than what is already possible trough existing LEO factions. Investigative work is for detectives and Im pretty sure they need more man power in the force, not another LEO faction with a mind of their own.

Maybe it is just my reaction, but thinking hypothetical as a criminal, my responses could differ depending on who's knocking at my door. If it were just one detective in a suit, I might be inclined to chat with him to give him misleading information. If it were FBI agents dressed down and not in full gear, I probably wouldn't answer. If it's ATF with rifles trying to kick my door down, I might arm up if I haven't surrendered. It all varies, I believe, depending on the agency. I don't think ATF makes house calls for information. If they show up, they're there for a real reason. But I do completely understand your point.

Then to build off of this, my suggestion of a task force such as this could be injected into the already existing factions and help out the roles by not spreading one department too thin. I wonder if you added some flair to a position other than "detective" if it would help with recruitment or provide more interest from existing LEO's to apply for a new task force such as this. 

1 hour ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Federal agency would require the federal DOJ and the federal court system as well. It's simply not feasible. HOWEVER, the California State DOJ has their own counterpart of ATF on a state level which is the California Bureau of Firearms https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Bureau_of_Firearms

Other than this, this suggestion doesn't really make any sense. I'd suggest you to do some more research on American law enforcement.

This sums it up very well. Federal factions are too iffy to implement. And I don’t think LFM wants to bother with that headache. (Unless it’s USPS. I’d kill to see that. USPS SEAL team - making sure your packages are sealed properly.)

4 minutes ago, Kasper McQueen said:

Maybe it is just my reaction, but thinking hypothetical as a criminal, my responses could differ depending on who's knocking at my door. If it were just one detective in a suit, I might be inclined to chat with him to give him misleading information. If it were FBI agents dressed down and not in full gear, I probably wouldn't answer. If it's ATF with rifles trying to kick my door down, I might arm up if I haven't surrendered. It all varies, I believe, depending on the agency. I don't think ATF makes house calls for information. If they show up, they're there for a real reason. But I do completely understand your point.

Then to build off of this, my suggestion of a task force such as this could be injected into the already existing factions and help out the roles by not spreading one department too thin. I wonder if you added some flair to a position other than "detective" if it would help with recruitment or provide more interest from existing LEO's to apply for a new task force such as this. 

But these tasks are already being performed by Detectives, Officers and Deputies. We do not need agents or anything new for that matter to incorporate what you are suggesting. Intelligence gathering for these kind of penal code enforcements need alot of investigative work and that gets gathered by every LEO role, detectives then put all the dots together to create a case and work on from there collaborating with all roles that LEOs moving forward. Right now PD, SD and PR offer an incredible varity for LEO RP, if you are into that, you will find a spot that serves your interests.

• Thanks 1