ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms) Like Agency

Federal agency would require the federal DOJ and the federal court system as well. It's simply not feasible. HOWEVER, the California State DOJ has their own counterpart of ATF on a state level which is the California Bureau of Firearms https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Bureau_of_Firearms

Other than this, this suggestion doesn't really make any sense. I'd suggest you to do some more research on American law enforcement.

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
22 minutes ago, delanto said:

This is very reminiscent of the SABI - it was discussed at length a few months ago, the pros and cons of an investigative faction. ATF, FBI, SABI, no matter the name we're all looking to form the same thing which is a more investigative arm of law enforcement . 

Bospy did a great job summarizing some of the problems that come up when discussing forming such a faction...

I think he summarizes it very well. I know not many want to add a third faction on this server. There's a critical point in this that Bospy doesn't touch on, and that's the deployment of an overhaul change in roles for all agencies currently active. When an agency is formed around that specific department, then the role is only handled by that department/faction.

For example, if there was a dead body reported by a hiker but that hiker called it to local PD, local PD would arrive to see that it's not in their jurisdiction and sees that it was a homicide. The local PD should radio the State Police whose jurisdiction it is, and then when they arrive, they can contact their homicide department if they have one or hand it over to local homicide. If local homicide finds out that the homicide was related to a failed firearms deal, then they would contact the ATF to see if they had any information they can share of the victim or if anything has been heard of the murder. ATF then can decide if there is something to pursue here. 

Bospy implies that potentially separate agencies or internal agencies don't want to work together. A complete overhaul of roles will sort of make cooperation dependent on this. If a local PD tries to bust an arms deal then their commanding officer should shut them down. They then should transfer all their information to the appropriate agency, and local PD should only be used upon request for these matters. I wouldn't want a homicide detective an arms bust, just as I don't want to order a burger at a Chinese restaurant.  

I believe there's enough crime out there to create an actual agency for investigative work. If we restructure all roles of each unit, department, and LEOs, we wouldn't have a jurisdiction issue as long as commanding officers know what their department handles. 

2 minutes ago, Kasper McQueen said:

I think he summarizes it very well. I know not many want to add a third faction on this server. There's a critical point in this that Bospy doesn't touch on, and that's the deployment of an overhaul change in roles for all agencies currently active. When an agency is formed around that specific department, then the role is only handled by that department/faction.

For example, if there was a dead body reported by a hiker but that hiker called it to local PD, local PD would arrive to see that it's not in their jurisdiction and sees that it was a homicide. The local PD should radio the State Police whose jurisdiction it is, and then when they arrive, they can contact their homicide department if they have one or hand it over to local homicide. If local homicide finds out that the homicide was related to a failed firearms deal, then they would contact the ATF to see if they had any information they can share of the victim or if anything has been heard of the murder. ATF then can decide if there is something to pursue here. 

Wrong. This wouldn't happen simply because the 911 dispatcher would patch whoever's jurisdiction it actually is. The vast majority of homicide cases never makes it to the state DOJ level, not to mention the federal level.

22 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Federal agency would require the federal DOJ and the federal court system as well. It's simply not feasible. HOWEVER, the California State DOJ has their own counterpart of ATF on a state level which is the California Bureau of Firearms https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Bureau_of_Firearms

Other than this, this suggestion doesn't really make any sense. I'd suggest you to do some more research on American law enforcement.

I understand that we wouldn't need it to be a federal matter, but someone mentioned we have U.S. Marshalls. I would only isolate it into the government structure we currently have. This will hopefully lead to more Government roles or processes needed to create checks and balance system for crime and law. The request is not specifically ATF, but ATF is an example of a focused task force that deals directly and only with three things. The agency request here doesn't have to be Federal, and as you said, California Bureau has a counterpart agency which we can form here to separate these investigations. 

I would have to disagree with you because an agency that does the investigative work-limiting and eliminating illegal brewing for distribution, would be nice. The same agency will actively work to get illegal guns off the streets instead of waiting for crimes to happen. 

7 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Wrong. This wouldn't happen simply because the 911 dispatcher would patch whoever's jurisdiction it actually is. The vast majority of homicide cases never makes it to the state DOJ level, not to mention the federal level.

No one is saying this has to be a Federal Agency or has to involve the DOJ. 

2 minutes ago, Kasper McQueen said:

I understand that we wouldn't need it to be a federal matter, but someone mentioned we have U.S. Marshalls. I would only isolate it into the government structure we currently have. This will hopefully lead to more Government roles or processes needed to create checks and balance system for crime and law. The request is not specifically ATF, but ATF is an example of a focused task force that deals directly and only with three things. The agency request here doesn't have to be Federal, and as you said, California Bureau has a counterpart agency which we can form here to separate these investigations. 

I would have to disagree with you because an agency that does the investigative work-limiting and eliminating illegal brewing for distribution, would be nice. The same agency will actively work to get illegal guns off the streets instead of waiting for crimes to happen. 

Then again, a state agency wouldn't really investigate a person who brews 20L of beer a month and is missing an RPG-ish brewing license (because that's what it really is on the server) that doesn't even impose any restrictions. Not needed.

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
1 minute ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Then again, a state agency wouldn't really investigate a person who brews 20L of beer a month and is missing an RPG-ish brewing license (because that's what it really is on the server) that doesn't even impose any restrictions. Not needed.

If the ATF sees a brewing site in the woods, they can do some investigative work, do a stakeout, and then see if whoever is brewing is selling it illegally. That is the premise; scale doesn't matter. It's as if they're breaking the law and the RP here. The whole point is to do investigation work on the law side and the criminals have to be smarter about their activities. This opens up a whole range of RP possibilities. I don't think we have to follow each line of reality when it comes to RP in a virtual space here. 

43 minutes ago, Tennplugg said:

This is something the LEO factions we already have can do. 
I don't think a third agency will help. 

Do the LEO factions actively follow crimes, create leads, interrogate and execute sting operations directly about alcohol, tobacco, and firearms with the full intent to lower these illegal activities?