ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms) Like Agency

Short description: Create an agency that handles all things related to Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. 

Detailed description: The ATF would locate brewers or brew sites and stake them out to see if they are selling their brew without a brewing license. ATF agents would do the investigation work and only execute a sting operation with the help of local law enforcement only when they've uncovered enough evidence of an illegal operation. Most raids would have to be approved by a judge after the ATF or ATF Agent has provided enough evidence. Operations could range from a brew kit in the woods to a full-blown brewing operation in a barn. 

ATF would also locate the cache of illegal firearms through undercover sting operations to turning confidential informants. The ATF agent can execute undercover operations to arrest a low-level arms peddler and press them for more information to get them to turn on their suppliers for reducing sentences and fines. Use the CI (confidential informant) to go undercover to gather more evidence until the entire organization is taken down piece by piece. 

Commands to add:  /knockATF /Placewire /Panicbutton

Items to add: ATF vest, or coat, or something agency-related. A wire you can place on a person will transmit conversations in the proximity of the person wearing it remotely. The panic button option is used for who ever is wearing the undercover wire to use in case if they're in trouble and want law enforcement to intervene. 

How would your suggestion improve the server? The ATF will add more balance to some of the crime that goes on in the server. An ATF agency will bring a new host of RP opportunities to law enforcement and criminals alike. An agency like this will start to shape more of the judicial process and law enforcement roles. Having another task force capable of doing joint operations with other agencies will create more dynamic situations only possible with such a specific focus on criminal activates. ATF will be a rich opportunity to be on both sides of a stakeout, investigation, integrations, manhunts, informants, undercover agents, sting operations, and more.

Additional information: If we can keep it ATF, that would be great since it would be an agency, especially for these three things that way, it slims other agencies' focus and doesn't overstep jurisdictions/roles. 

6KW4Bka.jpg

Do you think maybe spread the current registered/active LEO's into different divisions instead of other agencies that do a specific task within the server? This way, we don't have 20 patrol cars driving around. A different agency will give LEO's more of a purpose and more RP if they're interested in applying for a different role within the law enforcement field. ATF wouldn't be recruiting new players to add more LEO's to the server, but it will pull from the currently active pool. 

1 minute ago, Invictus said:

I'd love to see more local/federal agencies since only 2 major leo factions are not enough for 900 players, 20 scenes and 50 calls.

Joint agency operations are a perfect solution, so we don't have 100 patrol cars patrolling the streets. This way, a percentage can have a different task as different task forces would balance out specific crimes in the city. (Exp.) We don't need a whole Special Victims Unit, but maybe a handful that works with the lawyers, judges, and other agencies to bring down the baddies and get them their punishments. 

4 minutes ago, Rasta said:

I can see this as a task force within the PD not as a stand alone faction. Having a pair of big LEO factions is the goal, not ten small factions.

If that is the case I hope they provide them with a real impactful AGENCY needed to stand on their own. I think if they’re not separate they’ll just be treated like normal Police and won’t carry the same weight as a specific agency. This will be in the mentality of the officer and the criminal, and it will give you a watered-down experience of RP. (IMHO)

This is very reminiscent of the SABI - it was discussed at length a few months ago, the pros and cons of an investigative faction. ATF, FBI, SABI, no matter the name we're all looking to form the same thing which is a more investigative arm of law enforcement . 

Bospy did a great job summarizing some of the problems that come up when discussing forming such a faction...

The critical issue with a purely investigative faction is to what degree it becomes involved in investigations under the jurisdiction of other agencies. Can it involve itself? Or does it offer help? What happens when nobody wants their help? I am absolutely for an investigative agency, but legal FM has repeatedly drilled over the past several months they have no plans or designs for a third law enforcement faction any time soon. An investigative agency needs the right amount of freedom to exist, it must be capable of operating independently, and it has to have a function which fulfills a niche nobody else is fulfilling.

The creation of this faction MUST be outlined from the very beginning with the specific concessions sought from current legal factions and their present and future responsibilities. PD and SD both need to know what they're sacrificing and what they no longer will have any responsibility for. They must have responsibilities that are their primary characteristics. Organized crime? Potentially later on, but to start with I'd envision it as an agency to facilitate info sharing and task forces between PD, SD, and JSA. Then you focus on setting up the niche investigations - gambling, alcohol control, loansharking, wire fraud, etc. This is the "investigator" portion of the faction. Then, when you've farmed enough investigators, you select the "special agents" who are the "hard" characters not permitted to have alts.

An investigative faction obviously can't be patrolling like a traditional law enforcement faction. The reality of an agency like the FBI or a state gambling control board composed of LEOs is they do a ton of office work with warrant services interspersed and field investigations. They aren't really going to be pulling people over or doing proactive traditional police work. They need to be working ties.

My rough idea would consist of "investigators" composed of alternative characters, focused on crimes such as gambling/white collar crime/laundering/traditional organized rackets like extortion. The other half of the faction would be full-time "special agents" with the authority to investigate organized crime, kidnappings, and more FBI-style crimes. Basically, one half of the faction is composed of part-time office worker alts who sometimes exit the office for stings/busts like alcohol control and gambling or gun trafficking, and the other half of the faction is a proactive investigative force which does the heavy lifting RICO stuff and federal-related stuff. Cybercrime, kidnappings, capital crimes, hardcore robberies, aggravated rapes, serial killers, etc. This is very unique RP they can engage in. I foresee a lot of plainclothes work and sometimes raid jackets with kevlar. I wouldn't even segment their responsibilities. If you're a special agent, ALL of these will be your responsibility. You'd treat this as the Los Santos Squad of the San Andreas Bureau of Investigation.

This agency should never have any OOC corruption permission equivalent. Much like the FBI is in real life, the professionalism and culture would prevent a lot of the "traditional" police corruption you'd see. You all wear suits, there's crony politics and leapfrogging, but to get that high up in a state law enforcement agency you are absolutely scouted for any sketchy ties or bad motivations.

I think maybe as a task force within PD/SD (maybe a joint task force). However, I don't think adding a fifth LEO faction is the solution.

LAPD already has several task forces under their Gang and Narcotics Division, mainly with the DEA, FBI, and US Marshals. So it wouldn't be unrealistic for us to add a LSPD/LSSD joint task force.

12 minutes ago, Kasper McQueen said:

If that is the case I hope they provide them with a real impactful AGENCY needed to stand on their own. I think if they’re not separate they’ll just be treated like normal Police and won’t carry the same weight as a specific agency. This will be in the mentality of the officer and the criminal, and it will give you a watered-down experience of RP. (IMHO)

To be honest why wouldn't it carry the same weight? Police focused tasks in one direction create roleplay for that specific direction, don't see how it would have a different mentality or be watered down.