Force or Clarify Usage of the Partnership Script

u10sil

Since the release of:

..., it's been apparently decided that when a person is looked up on the MDC, it will show the person's partner's name (in addition to residence, vehicles, etc.)

image.thumb.png.f019362beb0e192880e6b2fcf5db9c5d.png

Rough example of how this might look for a person that has a scriptwise partnership:

In many US states (incl. CA), marriage records are public. You don't even have to be a cop to look this stuff up IRL. So I suppose it makes sense why it would be shown on the MDC lookup.

The issue is that we've decided to show Partnerships on the MDC if a person has a partner scriptwise, however there's no rule stating that people who RP marriage/civil partnerships need to use the script.

This has the potential to lead to conflict and discrepancies; I can already envision player reports over someone RPing that their married, but they're not scritpwise partners, and that having some impact in the RP of an LEO RPer (investigating a suspected stolen vehicle... trying to locate where an outstanding warrant might be... a whole host of things.)

Server administration either needs to:

• Mandate that people who RP a civil partnership or marriage must use the Partnership script

or...

• Establish continuity that in San Andreas, marriage information is public information. It'd still be ICly stored by some bureaucratic arm of the government, and could be applied for if needed by court ordered subpoena/etc. But it wouldn't show up alongside residences, drivers licenses, etc in the MDC.

Agreed, the author clearly explained the reasoning on why it should be done, it needs to be separated. I've seen myself and I assume that other factions (outside the one I am in) with the access to the MDC have been informed about it and told not to actually use it, since realistically the MDC wouldn't show such information. 

Edited by dawpi

Yeh, while I was kidding when I said on discord we now need an own department to check if people actually live in romantic relationships it definitely needs some sort of clarification on the legal status in character to prevent the scenarios described in the op.

11 hours ago, dawpi said:

Agreed, the author clearly explained the reasoning on why it should be done, it needs to be separated. I've seen myself and I assume that other factions (outside the one I am in) with the access to the MDC have been informed about it and told not to actually use it, since realistically the MDC wouldn't show such information. 

Interesting. In the LSPD on a recent discussion thread, we were told no such thing. Also, it was intentionally added to the MDC, didn’t just show up there automatically. Definitely wasn’t a mistake by developers. 

Honestly this is a good idea, and roleplaying being married while not using the script could be considered powergaming in that regard. Ofcourse only for marriages, not for partnerships like the average relationship. ''Partnership'' is a broad term overal. You should make a clear difference in it.

How about word the suggestion just a bit different to make a clear difference between relationship and marriage?

Instead of ''partnership = script must be used'', say;

Marriage must be scriptwise

Relationship can't be scriptwise (because people don't go report their relationships to the government, duh 😛 )

3 hours ago, u10sil said:

Interesting. In the LSPD on a recent discussion thread, we were told no such thing. Also, it was intentionally added to the MDC, didn’t just show up there automatically. Definitely wasn’t a mistake by developers. 

Probably it wasn't, but let's use our common sense here. Realistically, you would not see such information on the MDC and that's what we've been told. It doesn't make much sense why a simple name search would show up someone's marriage status. If it shows their potential addresses in their names, sure, it'd be appropriately updated and stuff, but who they're married to - no way. Since we got it, thought everyone did too, but I guess it wasn't the case then.

2 hours ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

Honestly this is a good idea, and roleplaying being married while not using the script could be considered powergaming in that regard. Ofcourse only for marriages, not for partnerships like the average relationship. ''Partnership'' is a broad term overal. You should make a clear difference in it.

How about word the suggestion just a bit different to make a clear difference between relationship and marriage?

Instead of ''partnership = script must be used'', say;

Marriage must be scriptwise

Relationship can't be scriptwise (because people don't go report their relationships to the government, duh 😛 )

Just because someone is married does not mean they are sharing everything IC, though. They might even have secrets from one another. So why force someone to give their IC partner access to their property if that's not something that would happen IC?

1 hour ago, hillievonb said:

Just because someone is married does not mean they are sharing everything IC, though. They might even have secrets from one another. So why force someone to give their IC partner access to their property if that's not something that would happen IC?

Have an option to open a secondary bank account, shared by the two players, with joint access. And don't lock it behind a 'you can only be married for this feature' wall. It would allow partners to have total (and equal) access to corporate funds without one or the other having to be online. Also for people who want to be in a relationship but for IC reasons don't want to get married.

• Upvote 1