Why do you cover up graffiti CIMs?

Whoopty

Just now, sio said:

Then whoever is doing it is doing RP wrong regardless, because if it's gang members nobody does tags like that. But if that's the case I get the impression you hastily googled "GRAFFITI REMOVAL KOREATOWN" once you seen this topic and actually put 0 research into it - because that's the impression this type of behavior gives.

I think that's unfair to have a go at George for this. You and I both know that Koreatown in real life has several projects for the restoration and betterment of the community, regardless of the ethnicity of the people in the area. End of the day, people are having fun, if, and this is a big if, it becomes that much of a problem for you, you are always welcome to report them or even message me and I can personally speak to them if they're apart of the Koreatown faction.

Ofcourse, I'm sure we're all here to have fun, and that neither side is completely innocent in this, Sio, so let's look to a solution instead of arguing like children on the forum.

Just now, Powley said:

I think that's unfair to have a go at George for this. You and I both know that Koreatown in real life has several projects for the restoration and betterment of the community, regardless of the ethnicity of the people in the area. End of the day, people are having fun, if, and this is a big if, it becomes that much of a problem for you, you are always welcome to report them or even message me and I can personally speak to them if they're apart of the Koreatown faction.

Ofcourse, I'm sure we're all here to have fun, and that neither side is completely innocent in this, Sio, so let's look to a solution instead of arguing like children on the forum.

I mean, sure if you want to play the "Koreatown in real life" card but I always got the impression that only certain aspects of the culture there was cherrypicked. Koreatown, LA has a large hispanic presence and a huge gang presence. It's not a suburb, it's not a nice area. Sure, the people that are from there are proud to live there - but that's not unique only to the Korean community, latinos have been living there too since the 50s. So have African-Americans, growing up in the area most locals should be aware of gang activity. Koreatown (especially at night) is a dangerous place. You can get stabbed simply for being (as George mentioned earlier) the "wrong shade of Asian" just for walking around in the park at night.

At the end of the day I'd rather not report anyone, I have made my discomfort with this particular concept of mixing aspects of Korean-American neighborhood watch and community groups with the portrayal of a parasitic organization like a Korean jo-pok clear in the past when I was a member of the faction. Now that I've seen subtle behaviors continue (such as cleaning graffiti) I thought I would post my thoughts on the subject on a thread that happened to cover said topic.

It's not something that has to be said privately, and at the end of the day? It's not a big of a deal, it's a roleplay server after all. But I think people do need to start evaluating what exactly they are RPing instead of hiding behind statements like "keep it IC" or "take it to RPQM" because at the end of the day that doesn't give the impression that anyone is actually willing to listen to what you have to say.

3 minutes ago, Powley said:

I agree, the only issue in this IMO is really the speed and scale of the removals which gets unrealistic and annoying OOCly, glad you can understand instead of taking it as a personal attack or being defensive. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Whoopty said:

I agree, the only issue in this IMO is really the speed and scale of the removals which gets unrealistic and annoying OOCly, glad you can understand instead of taking it as a personal attack or being defensive. 

And at the end of the day, this is the crux of the issue. Personally I would like to just see more effort made into the RP if it's going to be done by locals of the Koreatown community, research into the type of equipment used to remove graffiti and proper attire (because someone doing this dripped out in Gucci is about as jarring as someone doing graffiti in cat ears) helps up the general quality of RP and really helps give a vibe of good portrayal.

Koreatown IRL is a fairly big place, ingame it's very small and so when you try to RP graffiti removal it ends up with every single CIM having another placed over it, and i've seen myself people not even RPing the cim, so you can understand it gets annoying and at a certain point can't be taken IC. 

It's the equivelant of me saying IRL there are a lot of robberies in Koreatown, so I then get ingame and rob EVERY person I can find without fail. 

What's the issue? 

Covering graffiti is entirely IC, I actually think for the most part the back and forth between taggers and the people covering graffiti up as been pretty cool. I saw one the other day where a small gangtag was covered with a rose and "Love not Guns" was written underneath. Some may think it's cringe but I think it adds a cool level of depth to communities. There's genuinely some local going around Vespucci trying to promote a end to gang violence and that's pretty cool to me. 

As for the point others have brought up about how it can be dangerous to cover up a gangs tags, that threat of danger is entirely on gangs to create. It's not a given IC just because it happens IRL, it's on you to enforce and create that sense of fear in your communities. I'm normally in the camp that believes civilians should be showing more fear but tbh, this shit is entirely on criminals.  

Just now, Henning said:

What's the issue? 

Covering graffiti is entirely IC, I actually think for the most part the back and forth between taggers and the people covering graffiti up as been pretty cool. I saw one the other day where a small gangtag was covered with a rose and "Love not Guns" was written underneath. Some may think it's cringe but I think it adds a cool level of depth to communities. There's genuinely some local going around Vespucci trying to promote a end to gang violence and that's pretty cool to me. 

As for the point others have brought up about how it can be dangerous to cover up a gangs tags, that threat of danger is entirely on gangs to create. It's not a given IC just because it happens IRL, it's on you to enforce and create that sense of fear in your communities. I'm normally in the camp that believes civilians should be showing more fear but tbh, this shit is entirely on criminals.  

I mean, I agree. That is cool. Painting windows with gang tags on them instead of cleaning the windows however is not. It just seems a little silly.

Anyways, gangs can't really offer a danger over tags when people are doing it at odd hours with rushed /me's. Realistically someone would need to pressure wash that shit off the wall, and nobody wants to RP that because it's time consuming.

1 minute ago, Henning said:

What's the issue? 

1 minute ago, Whoopty said:

Koreatown IRL is a fairly big place, ingame it's very small and so when you try to RP graffiti removal it ends up with every single CIM having another placed over it, and i've seen myself people not even RPing the cim, so you can understand it gets annoying and at a certain point can't be taken IC. 

It's the equivelant of me saying IRL there are a lot of robberies in Koreatown, so I then get ingame and rob EVERY person I can find without fail. 

5 minutes ago, Whoopty said:

1 minute ago, Henning said:

I saw one the other day where a small gangtag was covered with a rose and "Love not Guns" was written underneath. Some may think it's cringe but I think it adds a cool level of depth to communities. There's genuinely some local going around Vespucci trying to promote a end to gang violence and that's pretty cool to me. 

Id find that cool too, but in most cases it's people doing a /cim of "black paint covers the tags" and sometimes literally with no RP. And it happens in MINUTES of me putting it up, like come on man? How are you telling me to keep it IC? Bro? bRo???? brOo???????

Just now, sio said:

I mean, I agree. That is cool. Painting windows with gang tags on them instead of cleaning the windows however is not. It just seems a little silly.

Anyways, gangs can't really offer a danger over tags when people are doing it at odd hours with rushed /me's. Realistically someone would need to pressure wash that shit off the wall, and nobody wants to RP that because it's time consuming.

That's such a tedious thing to be upset about though, don't you think? Like it's idiotic yes but is it outside of reason? Not really. 

2 minutes ago, sio said:

I mean, sure if you want to play the "Koreatown in real life" card but I always got the impression that only certain aspects of the culture there was cherrypicked. Koreatown, LA has a large hispanic presence and a huge gang presence. It's not a suburb, it's not a nice area. Sure, the people that are from there are proud to live there - but that's not unique only to the Korean community, latinos have been living there too since the 50s. So have African-Americans, growing up in the area most locals should be aware of gang activity. Koreatown (especially at night) is a dangerous place. You can get stabbed simply for being (as George mentioned earlier) the "wrong shade of Asian" just for walking around in the park at night.

I'm simply working with what I've got. Currently, in real life Koreatown isn't even ranked as one of the most dangerous neighbourhoods within LA. I understand that there are indeed gangs in the area, most prominently being MS13. I've never claimed it was a suburb, infact, it's a massive area of Nightclubs and convenience stores. I think it's unfair to cry about the community just trying to keep themselves busy and have fun. I think you're being unfair, Sio.

6 minutes ago, sio said:

At the end of the day I'd rather not report anyone, I have made my discomfort with this particular concept of mixing aspects of Korean-American neighborhood watch and community groups with the portrayal of a parasitic organization like a Korean jo-pok clear in the past when I was a member of the faction. Now that I've seen subtle behaviors continue (such as cleaning graffiti) I thought I would post my thoughts on the subject on a thread that happened to cover said topic.

Please, report away. If it's that much of an issue for you Sio, please report away any issues. I think we both know it's such a petty subject that it doesn't need to go to forum reports.

7 minutes ago, sio said:

It's not something that has to be said privately, and at the end of the day? It's not a big of a deal, it's a roleplay server after all. But I think people do need to start evaluating what exactly they are RPing instead of hiding behind statements like "keep it IC" or "take it to RPQM" because at the end of the day that doesn't give the impression that anyone is actually willing to listen to what you have to say.

All due respect I've been actively trying to improve things for the longest time and I'm aware of who cares to actually improve the area and who complains for the sake of complaining at this point.

• mj2002 locked this topic