Why do you cover up graffiti CIMs?

Whoopty

Opening this as a genuine question to the people (civillians/illegal facs) that go around covering every graffiti /cim they find with "It has been covered up with black paint". I'd could beat around the bush but I'll be straight forward and say ive only ever really seen this in Little Seoul. 

Wont even mention IRL LA and tell you about how theres graffiti everywhere in the area it's based off, even if we go off purely IC knowledge it's been a heavily gang infested area for the past 2 OOC years. What incentive does your character have to be covering up every tag they see, especially since some of these characters doing this are in their early 20's or even teens, or are literal mob underbosses, even if you're a regular civillian, you shouldn't really care.

Posting this to get some insight, don't turn this into trolling, I'm just genuinely curious the incentive of peoples characters to do this, every single day, without fail. Even if we don't end up seeing eye to eye, i'd like to know.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

I'd say that some people ic'ly see it as an eye-sore, some people don't want it in their areas. Just a way to stop gang-related graffiti being spread around the area.

I haven't ever personally covered it up but this sounds like a great idea for the Department of Labor off SAGOV to perhaps start a city-cleaning career.

I have to agree, it's quite strange to see.

When it comes to graffiti in particular, it's everywhere. Teenagers throw it up on random walls everywhere. Some people will spray over others' spraypaint with their own bullshit, but that's innocent.

When it comes to gang tags? No random person is going to just cross one out... it's dangerous and stupid, there's literally no gain in it. The only way I'd see this as a reasonable course of action from a civillian would be business owners cleaning their property. But random people cleaning random tags in back alleys? It's cringy. It also breaks my immersion, because I like seeing graffiti around. It's realistic.

I don't know, it comes across as an attempt to be dicks to gang RPers for no real reason - it's borderline trolling and I would say a violation of common courtesy to mess with somebody's portrayal for their gang member who does tags just because someone finds it funny to be obnoxious. Even moreso if, as you allege, members of mob factions are doing it. I think in these cases a RPQM would be pertinent.

The only people who would waste their time removing graffiti are people who work for the city government, and that's because they get paid for it. They don't go into back alleys to clean graffiti because noone sees it.

Edited by sio

Gives locals stuff to do and it's an eye-sore in character to most characters. Is what it is bro. Most graffiti in and around Little Seoul is put up on businesses and the front of busy housing blocks, so locals will clean it up.

• Upvote 1
Just now, moulton said:

I'd say that some people ic'ly see it as an eye-sore, some people don't want it in their areas. Just a way to stop gang-related graffiti being spread around the area.

I haven't ever personally covered it up but this sounds like a great idea for the Department of Labor off SAGOV to perhaps start a city-cleaning career.

You're not thinking of this on a larger scale. Little Seoul easily has hundreds of active players go through it a day, as it's a hotspot of the server. Many of these are gang rpers that go back and forth (very common irl and never gets removed) wall-banging and crossing eachothers tags out and dissing eachother via graffiti. This is almost ESSENTIAL to Gang RP. People always complain about gang rpers resorting to shooting too much, but when we wanna do harmless wall-banging rp with eachother it gets covered up EVERY DAY, if not every hour, without fail. 

This is the opposite of realistic. Nobodys going out of their way to do this IRL unless it's on their business, and it's really killing wall banging rp since before any opposing gang sees it some 20 yr old korean comes and covers it up with black paint.

Residents of Koreatown IRL wouldn't do this, as they're used to the graffiti, and it's pointless and time consuming to keep doing it when it's everywhere. But since ingame we're limited to 1 CIM at a time and the only effort it takes to cover it up is /cim 7 black paint covers the tag, everybody does it, ruining the feeling of the enivorment for factions in and surrounding the area.

I'd understand if it was a city cleaning career (which would have to be toned down too so they don't get unrealistic and kill tag banging rp too) , but these are civillians, sometimes minors, sometimes literal mobsters that shouldn't care, but almost always people that have no reason to do it.

To you, it doesn't matter, to gang rpers it's one of the main forms of RP and a way for us to avoid dm wars.

Speaking as someone who's never done either IC(Graffiti or covering it up,) I presume it's locals from the community doing it. Little Seoul for example has a very active community of locals, and as far as I've seen they're fairly protective of that community. Covering up outside gang graffiti might just be part of that, which makes sense from an IC perspective. Can easily be explained as locals trying to fight back against eyesores and the crime in general, or lowering the visual impact of outside gangs trying to push into the territory.

1 minute ago, Goopy said:

https://www.kyccla.org/services/environmental-services/graffiti-removal/#:~:text=We remove graffiti seven days,of graffiti.

Korea Town/Little Seoul IRL

People like graffiti. People don't like gangers writing on the walls their signs.

This is a professional organization, not random people coming out of their apartments to paint over gang tags by themselves. It's fine if you want to RP that kind of thing but at least put some effort into it rather than lazy /me's.

3baa7bb3792047b9c3a9c1d7f3b7c69b.jpg?width=1440&height=411

Frankly this is immature.

unknown.png

This makes no sense. You are removing a tag by... painting a window?

1 minute ago, Whoopty said:

You're not thinking of this on a larger scale. Little Seoul easily has hundreds of active players go through it a day, as it's a hotspot of the server. Many of these are gang rpers that go back and forth (very common irl and never gets removed) wall-banging and crossing eachothers tags out and dissing eachother via graffiti. This is almost ESSENTIAL to Gang RP. People always complain about gang rpers resorting to shooting too much, but when we wanna do harmless wall-banging rp with eachother it gets covered up EVERY DAY, if not every hour, without fail. 

This is the opposite of realistic. Nobodys going out of their way to do this IRL unless it's on their business, and it's really killing wall banging rp since before any opposing gang sees it some 20 yr old korean comes and covers it up with black paint.

Residents of Koreatown IRL wouldn't do this, as they're used to the graffiti, and it's pointless and time consuming to keep doing it when it's everywhere. But since ingame we're limited to 1 CIM at a time and the only effort it takes to cover it up is /cim 7 black paint covers the tag, everybody does it, ruining the feeling of the enivorment for factions in and surrounding the area.

I'd understand if it was a city cleaning career (which would have to be toned down too so they don't get unrealistic and kill tag banging rp too) , but these are civillians, sometimes minors, sometimes literal mobsters that shouldn't care, but almost always people that have no reason to do it.

To you, it doesn't matter, to gang rpers it's one of the main forms of RP and a way for us to avoid dm wars.

Hate to break it to you mate but it's a relatively normal thing in Koreatown Los Angeles. It's a sense of pride in the community and keeping the area clean.

Where I live IRL, if you're caught up graffiting random walls chances are you will get your legs broken. Gang RPers need to stop bitching each time someone does something against only 3 venues of RP they have (graffiting walls, selling weed and shooting eachother).

• mj2002 locked this topic