What are some valid levels of escalation with “legal” roleplayers?

9 minutes ago, Henning said:

So, I think when examining you have to keep in mind the sort of people who get involved with crime and how they react emotionally to certain situations. Boiling the question down to OP's extent doesn't paint a full picture because it's not a straightforward answer, it's not black and white. 

So we seriously have to keep the oh-so-fragile minds of criminals in account now?

Come on, you can't be serious on this one

1 minute ago, knppel said:

So we seriously have to keep the oh-so-fragile minds of criminals in account now?

I am serious because it plays a significant role in violent crime. Perfectly happy and jolly people don't snap and assault other people on the street. Do I think the angry criminal stereotypical portrayal is revolutionary and great? Not really, I think it's a cliché but nonetheless it's still a driving factor behind these scenarios.

This is a heavy RP server, we're supposed to be RPing a reflection of real life. Let me remind you and everyone else reading, in the real world the only thing stopping someone from murdering you in the streets is the fact they don't feel like it. It's not laws, rules or policing; those are all encouragements against said actions. But they do nothing to stop someone from murdering you if they truly feel like it. 

If you've ever been mugged or confronted by someone in the street IRL (As I have), you quickly come to the very scary realization that the person your in a confrontation with could be unhinged enough to end your life. It's a very real and scary feeling. Unfortunately we play a video game where you know your going to respawn and you know there's a limit to what your assailant can do. That feeling rarely comes across and is even more rarely portrayed. 

The whole point of my response was to highlight that boiling down this issue to such an extent does no service to solving it unless solving it to you means making RP worse. One of the foundational building blocks behind criminality is some form of mental illness or other mental imbalances so to discount it to "Ugh, these fragile minded criminals? Really?" just goes to show you don't have any idea of what the fuck your talking about.   

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, knppel said:

More-so the players behind the characters who are playing the criminals, it is important to be mindful of that and understand that common courtesy goes a long way, naturally, every situation you come upon in roleplay will be different, there will always be different ways to respond and there will never be a cookie cutter solution to this issue; nonetheless, when a player does not roleplay fear at the sight of a gun and threats of violence, it leaves the criminal with very few choices and more or less turns the situation into a huge mess.

The victim will ultimately have the upper hand in these situations if they DO roleplay fear because they will be able to create roleplay for both the perpetrator and law enforcement by giving them their statement, providing them with information which ultimately may result in the perp. being caught. I understand this doesn't yield near as much as entertainment as it would otherwise if you were to shoot them in the face, but showing other players within the community common courtesy is a very mindful and respectable thing to do, and people do not forget that.

5 hours ago, RoyalPainter said:

You’re walking through Mirror Park with your homies before someone calls the cops on your group for acting “suspicious “ and what not, this is not a specific example but it ties back to the broader question. What would you do in this scenario? What would be fair levels for revenge?

A) I'm a smart criminal. (Mafia)

- You talk to the cops, explain to them that you're just chilling with the boys, understand that they are just doing their thankless job and move on with your day.

B) I'm a real n***a.

- You pull up to the dude who called the cops on you for just kicking it with the homies. You explain to them that you didn't appreciate what they did, but you also get where they are coming from and why.

B1. You shake hands.

B2. This dude is giving you an attitude, so you smack him up.

C) I'm insecure and starving for street cred.

- You see this as an opportunity to show the lil'homies how tough and fearless you are, so you go find the snitch. It's all escalation that could've been avoided from there on, but you don't take shit from nobody. You may do time.

These are all VALID/REALISTIC reactions, IMO. It all depends.

Edited by SCANDALOUZ
23 minutes ago, Stiggz said:

The audacity of the staff team to take sides against illegal roleplayers shooting back at somebody is absolutely pathetic. Nervous (or whoever is in charge) really needs to re think this staff lineup. 

I mean, you guys have it pretty good right now. Not only can people be robbed within direct line of sight of a police station without repercussions, civilians aren't allowed to use CCW's in self defense without extreme and thorough OOC review, during which their character background is explored to verify whether they are allowed to use the CCW at all. No combat experience? No history with violence? Not allowed to use a gun.

Doesn't get much easier than having an administrative team making CCW's meaningless to have.

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Sevataris said:

People gotta stop acting like LS is under some stupid "code of silence", people call the cops for the tiniest things including a flat tire. Having the cops called on you for being suspicious or just BEING somewhere shouldn't warrant a Sinaloa style public execution.

/endthread

5 hours ago, RoyalPainter said:

You’re walking through Mirror Park with your homies before someone calls the cops on your group for acting “suspicious “ and what not, this is not a specific example but it ties back to the broader question. What would you do in this scenario? What would be fair levels for revenge?

Revenge? For what? A neighbor calling the cops because someone is acting suspicious?

What I'd do is tell the cops I just went with my friends to enjoy the park and have a couple of drinks at the Mirror Park Tavern, and then try to go about my day.

If I had criminal intentions I'd realize someone has given the police my description or my details, would conclude that this neighborhood is alert and I'd go try crime elsewhere. Revenge when there's been no real victims other than your ego for being told you acted "suspicious" would be pretty ridiculous by real world standards.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 2
6 minutes ago, Koko said:

Revenge? For what? A neighbor calling the cops because someone is acting suspicious?

What I'd do is tell the cops I just went with my friends to enjoy the park and have a couple of drinks at the Mirror Park Tavern, and then try to go about my day.

If I had criminal intentions I'd realize someone has given the police my description or my details, would conclude that this neighborhood is alert and I'd go try crime elsewhere. Revenge when there's been no real victims other than your ego for being told you acted "suspicious" would be pretty ridiculous by real world standards.

Literally this.

20 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

I mean, you guys have it pretty good right now. Not only can people be robbed within direct line of sight of a police station without repercussions, civilians aren't allowed to use CCW's in self defense without extreme and thorough OOC review, during which their character background is explored to verify whether they are allowed to use the CCW at all. No combat experience? No history with violence? Not allowed to use a gun.

Doesn't get much easier than having an administrative team making CCW's meaningless to have.

Are you referring to this admin and their initial questioning of the player in this report? It's pretty stupid.

image.png.a8943e0106e52332f643fb4b8aeb0377.png

• Wuhtah locked this topic