What are some valid levels of escalation with “legal” roleplayers?

19 minutes ago, Koko said:

Because if your character is banging in Mirror Park and knows the area, they'd know this. Are you really going to be messing with cops in their home over close to nohting, when there's high chances that the people either side of someone's house are also cops? If you don't see how it matters that you probably have the biggest density of police officers per capita living in Mirror Park when you consider your approach to crime in the area, then honestly I don't know what to tell you.

While I agree with the sentiment, I think that this isn't a great argument to make.

You're assuming their characters would be aware of all the occupants of these houses. I don't think it's a determined IC fact that Mirror Park is teeming with police officers, that's out of character information that shouldn't weigh in unless explored in character.

Los Santos overall has the highest density of police in the world. I'd say it's probably about 1 in every 10 players are somehow related to law enforcement (I could of course, very easily be wrong but the number is still obscenely high) You could just as easily assume any person you met on the sidewalk was a cop. It's not fair to illegal roleplayers to assume that a neighborhood itself is "filled with cops", that really doesn't make much sense. It's not a cop bar, it's an entire suburb. There's nothing about Mirror Park itself that screams "cop". It's just an upperclass suburban neighborhood. If the gang comes to find that all their neighbors are cops through IC interaction, that's a different story. Until then it's just OOC conjecture.

Edited by Fancy Toothpaste
typos, typing on my phone
6 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

If the gang comes to find that all their neighbors are cops through IC interaction, that's a different story. Until then it's just OOC conjecture.

I agree, but this clashes with the idea of having a gang that has "deep roots in the neighborhood". American police IRL has access to really cheap loans just so they flock to particular areas because it does deter crime.

If you're a new gang on the block you don't have to know this, but you don't get to play an oldschool set without knowing about the gentrification process of your area and the long-standing efforts to push you out, imho.

28 minutes ago, Koko said:

Because if your character is banging in Mirror Park and knows the area, they'd know this. Are you really going to be messing with cops in their home over close to nohting, when there's high chances that the people either side of someone's house are also cops? If you don't see how it matters that you probably have the biggest density of police officers per capita living in Mirror Park when you consider your approach to crime in the area, then honestly I don't know what to tell you.

Most gangs in the eastside have strong sentiment against cops, at least the faction I’m in clearly states both in real life and in game that cops are heavily disliked. This isn’t an excuse to go around and shoot any cop seen but for example when a cop snitched on me in front of their house I came backs few hours later and smashed their, tagged their whole house, threw eggs, threw toilet paper on it as wel as death threats on the walls. Most of these characters simply have no regard for the law and obviously this whole thing was planned and what not.

5 minutes ago, Koko said:

I agree, but this clashes with the idea of having a gang that has "deep roots in the neighborhood". American police IRL has access to really cheap loans just so they flock to particular areas because it does deter crime.

If you're a new gang on the block you don't have to know this, but you don't get to play an oldschool set without knowing about the gentrification process of your area and the long-standing efforts to push you out, imho.

Yeah, I think that's just a symptom of other issues, really. Realistically, if I was a gang member my character would have grown up in that location and become familiar with it and it's people, but because GTAW characters (and oftentimes gangs) spawn in through the ether, appearing out of nowhere like a wraith, they cannot in good faith pretend as though they know everyone and everything about their surroundings. It's a quirk of the system that can be easily avoided in many cases with "My character just got back from Juvy" or the classic, "I moved here from another city."

Edited by Fancy Toothpaste
Just now, Fancy Toothpaste said:

Yeah I think that's just a symptom of other issues, really. Realistically, if I was a gang member my character would have grown up in that location and become familiar with it and it's people, but because GTAW characters *(and oftentimes gangs) spawn in through the ether, appearing out of nowhere like a wraith, they cannot in good faith pretend as though they know everyone and everything about their surroundings. It's a quirk of the system that can be easily avoided in my cases with "My character just got back from Juvy" or the classic, "I moved here from another city."

We're fully in agreement then I think tbh. I have no issues with people playing gang in gentrified neighborhoods, but yes, you have to internalize whatever history that neighborhood had beyond your gang. The world is trying to push you out and tbh many places have been quite successful, and you have to portray that you are actually trying to survive, and not show a disregard for your history and potentially dwindling numbers just because you happened to pop up 2 weeks ago in a server. Your character has a history that spans longer than your GTAW life.

And yes, your alternatives are the usual good take on it if you ask me.

4 minutes ago, RoyalPainter said:

Most gangs in the eastside have strong sentiment against cops, at least the faction I’m in clearly states both in real life and in game that cops are heavily disliked. This isn’t an excuse to go around and shoot any cop seen but for example when a cop snitched on me in front of their house I came backs few hours later and smashed their, tagged their whole house, threw eggs, threw toilet paper on it as wel as death threats on the walls. Most of these characters simply have no regard for the law and obviously this whole thing was planned and what not.

All gangs hate cops, either openly or more covertly depending on where they are and their circumstance. They're entities that stand in direct opposition of one another, and that's just natural. But yeah, if your characters have no regard for the law then they're probably not going to be long for this world. And that's fine if that's what you're trying to portray, but you should show at least some willingness to survive (and I'm not sure that filling someone's house with death threats when you'd instantly be the main suspect shows that). Each case is its own different world and obviously I don't know the specifics of this situation, so who knows? It could be perfectly legit, I'm in no position to comment other than my reaction to what I read here.

2 minutes ago, Koko said:

We're fully in agreement then I think tbh. I have no issues with people playing gang in gentrified neighborhoods, but yes, you have to internalize whatever history that neighborhood had beyond your gang. The world is trying to push you out and tbh many places have been quite successful, and you have to portray that you are actually trying to survive, and not show a disregard for your history and potentially dwindling numbers just because you happened to pop up 2 weeks ago in a server. Your character has a history that spans longer than your GTAW life.

Sure, that works, I suppose. I think there's plenty of hyjinx involved in claiming you've always existed somewhere you've only been for a few weeks or even months, and it can be difficult for some groups to roleplay around that discrepancy. In the end, the culture of locations is very fluid, even if we go by what the GTA map bases it's locations off of. Should a gang exist in a middle to upperclass neighborhood and act like it's any old poverty stricken hood? Probably not, but I see that more as an IC issue then an OOC issue.

Illegal organizations might as well be stepping on egg shells everywhere they go due to the incredible police presence and population. It's hard to take that IC when there's nothing pushing it.

In short, a gang might get the message that "they don't belong" if locals hammer that into their skull.

16 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

Should a gang exist in a middle to upperclass neighborhood and act like it's any old poverty stricken hood? Probably not, but I see that more as an IC issue then an OOC issue.

Just want to reiterate that I agree with this, regardless of what my posts may convey. If you can portray it well, anything might go. But yeah, it's also an IC issue for sure. Which is why places like K-Town have driven off gangs because they had a no-tolerance approach to things like tagging or drug dealing.

33 minutes ago, Koko said:

And yes, your alternatives are the usual good take on it if you ask me.

All gangs hate cops, either openly or more covertly depending on where they are and their circumstance. They're entities that stand in direct opposition of one another, and that's just natural. But yeah, if your characters have no regard for the law then they're probably not going to be long for this world. And that's fine if that's what you're trying to portray, but you should show at least some willingness to survive (and I'm not sure that filling someone's house with death threats when you'd instantly be the main suspect shows that). Each case is its own different world and obviously I don't know the specifics of this situation, so who knows? It could be perfectly legit, I'm in no position to comment other than my reaction to what I read here.

I agree by all means but you need to remember these are teen crash dummies and what not. Most of them probably won’t make it past their teens just like in real life where most of them are oblivious to the consequences of their actions.

2 hours ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

While I agree with the sentiment, I think that this isn't a great argument to make.

You're assuming their characters would be aware of all the occupants of these houses. I don't think it's a determined IC fact that Mirror Park is teeming with police officers, that's out of character information that shouldn't weigh in unless explored in character.

Los Santos overall has the highest density of police in the world. I'd say it's probably about 1 in every 10 players are somehow related to law enforcement (I could of course, very easily be wrong but the number is still obscenely high) You could just as easily assume any person you met on the sidewalk was a cop. It's not fair to illegal roleplayers to assume that a neighborhood itself is "filled with cops", that really doesn't make much sense. It's not a cop bar, it's an entire suburb. There's nothing about Mirror Park itself that screams "cop". It's just an upperclass suburban neighborhood. If the gang comes to find that all their neighbors are cops through IC interaction, that's a different story. Until then it's just OOC conjecture.

You can quite literally take a stroll around MP and see the unmarked cruisers parked in front of several MP houses as well as in driveways, they’re everywhere. 

8 minutes ago, ayame said:

You can quite literally take a stroll around MP and see the unmarked cruisers parked in front of several MP houses as well as in driveways, they’re everywhere. 

That still doesn't mean NO crime at all happens, your replies on the original report or whatever shows how clueless you are on how gangs work. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic