What are some valid levels of escalation with “legal” roleplayers?

4 hours ago, ayame said:

The thing I don't understand is a gang harassing it's own neighbors constantly in Mirror Park, then when they get the cops called on them it's violence. You.. Live here... Do your crime somewhere else, the amount of people in Mirror Park who are cops, and "cop callers"... It makes no sense for you to continue actively doing crime in broad daylight in the neighborhood when the likelihood of cops being called is 70%, and each member has charges or past run ins with cops for the exact same thing in the exact same area multiple times. And everyone who continues doing crime here is an automatic suspect because of this, you're setting yourselves up for failure IC'ly and it doesn't make a lot of sense, sure gang members aren't the smartest but are they supposed to be incredibly stupid too?

Trespassing in someone's yard? Hey man, this guy was in my yard. Can you just tell him to leave me alone? Sure no prob, I'll talk to him. Verbal warning, he'll stay away!...
1hr later.
Fuck you cop caller! My fuckin hood, I'm bashin yo' windows up!

OK

Some people are only able to play when it’s daylight in server time bro.

20 minutes ago, sio said:

As someone who has been in this situation before I heavily disagree, all due respect. I think PD/SD do a good enough job of building their cases and noone really wants to do court so unless they are really desperate they will usually just plead guilty.

That's your personal experience and I respect that. I am at the "other end of the spectrum" with my experience over the past half year or so on investigative roleplay in which a lot happens behind the scenes. Here's a little in-sight.

Spoiler

Homicide scenes, lets say 5 out of 10 are located by police. Out of those located, 2 out of 10 are documented in any shape or form. Then again, out of those documented, 8 out of 10 are not investigated. Out of those investigated, another 8 out of 10 are dropped / classified cold through the investigation (namechanges, player banned, situation voided, player inactive, no further leads...) and those that make it, even strong cases, have charges frequently downgraded or dropped by the DA and courts if pleaded not guilty or no contest - usually through plea deals with the DA.

Most situations we come across on a daily basis are "Look, another body and casings" with the victim logged off 5 minutes after the shooting, no witnesses present and no way to obtain any further details surrounding the incident (e.g. CCTV, any items such as an ID card on person, elabored injuries outside of "has been shot X times in area Y" and marks on body, etc.) leading to follow-up investigations to not even be started. The only options out of these scenarios that will lead to prosecution are...

• A - the suspect going out of their way and confessing the crime to police.
  • B - a gun found matching the collected casings. Chances of actual charges pressed for Homicide w/o option A in courts? Approximately 2%.

Yes, there are people that do not wish to do courts, but it balances itself out with characters that generally say not guilty on arrests even, may it be due to the high value they see in their character or the hopes of finding mistakes with the documentation, processing and report that could drop charges...oooor a simple plea deal which the DA is very generous with. Little fun fact regarding the DA - they have too many cases that 'not guilty' pleas are indefinitely suspended as of earlier today.

Then there is also the release on parole/probation, or during courts on bond, for people all the way up to (attempted) murder suspects, even. Why that is the case for severe charges, I don't know, but I suppose the OOC factor plays into it with very lengthy waiting times of two weeks onwards, making the waiting time more punishment than the later decision by courts of a couple days in prison. 

And don't even get me started on all the OOC fuckery that goes along with investigations and the sheer toxicity you are faced from other players from time. There is a reason a lot of people that do Detective roleplay burn out and drop it after just a few months.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, RoyalPainter said:

Some people are only able to play when it’s daylight in server time bro.

The term "Broad daylight" usually gestured to out in the open, for all to see. Is that how you think all crime should be done, out where everyone can see and call the cops on you, over and over? Obviously I don't mean just because it's DAY-TIME. Out in the open and out in public where people see you constantly, buddy. Thought that was common knowledge!

26 minutes ago, ayame said:

The term "Broad daylight" usually gestured to out in the open, for all to see. Is that how you think all crime should be done, out where everyone can see and call the cops on you, over and over? Obviously I don't mean just because it's DAY-TIME. Out in the open and out in public where people see you constantly, buddy. Thought that was common knowledge!

Okay, take your inflated ego sarcasm someone else homie but criminals aren't masterminds. Crime still happens in broad open.

6 minutes ago, RoyalPainter said:

Okay, take your inflated ego sarcasm someone else homie but criminals aren't masterminds. Crime still happens in broad open.

I'm sorry if I offended you! Sure, not all criminals are masterminds, but does that mean they have to be painfully obvious all the time, specifically in MP in this case? No attempt to be discreet or careful whatsoever? No regard for being caught, or shot. Just, hey man, we're out here and we're running this neighborhood of people who constantly call the cops on us, let's continue to antagonize and irritate them further, what's gonna happen? 

Doesn't make much sense, does it. 

• Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, RoyalPainter said:

Just as long as you understand that you can't just kill anyone who reports you for being suspicious or breaking the law. Pretty sure the server rules explicitly disallow creating situations with the intent to have an excuse to kill people.

6 hours ago, RoyalPainter said:

You really have gone through the whole spectrum of bad takes on crime through this post, tbh. Your original question was "what are some valid levels of escalation with “legal” roleplayers?", and "my character is just dumb" isn't even really close to acceptable, particularly when it's a pretty well-known fact that a big percentage of Mirror Park homeowners are COPS to begin with.

We already suffer a plague of criminals who are selectively dumb as it is, with people who justify their actions by not being very smart while they then have the cold blood and know-how to clear all evidence from a scene before leaving, or using every precaution to not leave a single sliver of DNA when they break in somewhere.

2 hours ago, Koko said:

You really have gone through the whole spectrum of bad takes on crime through this post, tbh. Your original question was "what are some valid levels of escalation with “legal” roleplayers?", and "my character is just dumb" isn't even really close to acceptable, particularly when it's a pretty well-known fact that a big percentage of Mirror Park homeowners are COPS to begin with.

We already suffer a plague of criminals who are selectively dumb as it is, with people who justify their actions by not being very smart while they then have the cold blood and know-how to clear all evidence from a scene before leaving, or using every precaution to not leave a single sliver of DNA when they break in somewhere.

I don’t know which situation your talking about but having to wash your clothes or change after a crime is not a Einstein thing bro, I don’t get why you keep bringing up the fact most homeowners are cops like that doesn’t change anything to be honest with you man.

8 hours ago, ayame said:

I'm sorry if I offended you! Sure, not all criminals are masterminds, but does that mean they have to be painfully obvious all the time, specifically in MP in this case? No attempt to be discreet or careful whatsoever? No regard for being caught, or shot. Just, hey man, we're out here and we're running this neighborhood of people who constantly call the cops on us, let's continue to antagonize and irritate them further, what's gonna happen? 

Doesn't make much sense, does it. 

It’s mostly young teenagers and what not, I don’t feel comfortable taking advice on criminals from the same person who said that it doesn’t make sense for gangs to be in Mirror Park.

7 minutes ago, RoyalPainter said:

I don’t get why you keep bringing up the fact most homeowners are cops like that doesn’t change anything to be honest with you man.

Because if your character is banging in Mirror Park and knows the area, they'd know this. Are you really going to be messing with cops in their home over close to nohting, when there's high chances that the people either side of someone's house are also cops? If you don't see how it matters that you probably have the biggest density of police officers per capita living in Mirror Park when you consider your approach to crime in the area, then honestly I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by Koko
  • Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic