What are some valid levels of escalation with “legal” roleplayers?

I mean there’s an IC level of fear, PF warriors are a thing because calling the police gets you shot, targeted or killed. Geography rarely matters, nor does inner culture.

Gangs in general regulate their neighrborhood sure, but this is rarely seen. Every interaction is a fight, and every fight is a gunbattle.

With all this violence and being in a country with more guns than people, I’m shocked every citizen isn’t packing. Escalation is a dual process, it takes two to tango.

If you want less retaliation, consider how you deal with snitches and average citizens. Use fear, not force.

Also I’d love to play a civilian in the hood but I keep getting murdered for walking on the sidewalk. That hurts illegal roleplay more than anything.

Edited by KinnyWynny
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
21 hours ago, RoyalPainter said:

Valid points but if you ask me, gangs rule by fear especially in the east where they’re more connected to their roots.

I would tag up their house and break their windows, do simple shit like that.

people not in the life arent snitches

moving into mirror park as part of a 2 week old gang doesnt make it your hood;

it makes you stick out like a sore thumb in the only vestige of suburban, white-picket-fence rp on the server when you pull up in full hood ensemble

thats to say, hate having the cops called on you? maybe its a good idea to have picked a different neighbourhood, the only way i can see MP becoming a gang area is if richman houses were released to the script, for all the script money to be poured down into them

• Upvote 5
  • Applaud 1

A truly disruptive and realistic gang in Richman would be a Westboro Baptist Church picket against sinful behavior. The police would face a much more interesting scenario than gang #4753

Edited by arrdef
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

If you want less retaliation, consider how you deal with snitches and average citizens. Use fear, not force.

The problem here is that being a criminal (and imho slinging a gun neither, even if rules state a little differently now) does not necessarily make you scary:

Same as any character, a criminal with gun in hands too can, if they're unlucky, badly portrayed or just not on top in a situation, appear absolutely power- and harmless.

@Henning@UTOPIAI  have no doubts you guys could come up with creative scenarios to make another character pee their pants, don't get me wrong-

But on the other hand I think you two also can relate when I say, all in all, the majority of people who demand others to "rp fear"- specially those people that have to demand it ooc instead to you know, just be feared in character (may it be situationally for their behaviour or by reputation)- just tries hard to be scary but actually fails at being so.

That's why I am heavily against blueprints that declare certain behaviour to be "scary" by default (i.e. moron pulling a gun to act tough), or to let "mental instability" be used as excuse to escalate situations at the player's will.

Don't get me wrong guys, I know this goes both ways and in a hypothetical situation on the receiving end I also can't just claim autism on my character to ignore the environment and do my own thing while being threatened in some way.

It lays in the nature of the game though that for every scary big shot in the criminal scene there's ten or more wannabes- and those people's behaviour needs to be taken in account too when we apply general rules for everyone, not just ones fitting the elitists who usually put elaborate effort in their scenarios anyway, opposed to stick to the bare minimum and demand people to "rp fear" in /b then when they realize their tough guy behaviour doesn't impress.

18 minutes ago, knppel said:

But on the other hand I think you two also can relate when I say, all in all, the majority of people who demand others to "rp fear"- specially those people that have to demand it ooc instead to you know, just be feared in character (may it be situationally for their behaviour or by reputation)- just tries hard to be scary but actually fails at being so.

This, to be honest. I think that people who are heavily involved in Gang RP, read up on it extensively and make their RP revolve around gang culture seem to expect every civilian to be terrified of a lone gang member or that their tattoos are universally recognizable as gang ink when in reality in the real world every other young person in a metropolitan area in America has a full sleeve of nonsense and most people aren't inspecting random people's ink IRL unless they're deep in gang.

That and the fact that gang iconography and stylings have pretty much been absorbed by mainstream Hip Hop anyway, diluting the effect of even having a bunch of face tattoos these days if you're young. Ink, clothes and attitude means nothing a lot of the time because hood culture has been jacked by the mainstream, and the guy looking like a thug can a lot of the times just be a poser.

Gangs are intimidating, it is one of their purposes, but gang members don't radiate an aura of terror just by walking down the street.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Koko said:

That and the fact that gang iconography and stylings have pretty much been absorbed by mainstream Hip Hop anyway, diluting the effect of even having a bunch of face tattoos these days if you're young. Ink, clothes and attitude means nothing a lot of the time because hood culture has been jacked by the mainstream, and the guy looking like a thug can a lot of the times just be a poser.

nah homie my character is quite obviously a mara salvatrucha-13 flats hitman and you're not rping fear for not knowing that!!!!

people need to understand that on gta:w, you run into weak egos and mental disability with 8/10 people, regardless of where they are on the crime spectrum. my character might not know who your character is, my character might not be interested to learn either. fear needs padding, can't fear a person that's a pasted copy of the same person you've met 50 times just today, with all the peacocking and attempts at inserting importance or one-upping you by beating you over the head with the "muh rp fear" bat

7 minutes ago, Koko said:

I think that people who are heavily involved in Gang RP, read up on it extensively and make their RP revolve around gang culture seem to expect every civilian to be terrified of a lone gang member or that their tattoos are universally recognizable as gang ink when in reality in the real world every other young person in a metropolitan area in America has a full sleeve of nonsense and most people aren't inspecting random people's ink IRL unless they're deep in gang.

yeah...........

"legal" characters arent second class citizens. if you gotta tell somebody to rp fear, you've already fucked up. 

1 hour ago, AlphaBatal said:

people not in the life arent snitches

moving into mirror park as part of a 2 week old gang doesnt make it your hood;

it makes you stick out like a sore thumb in the only vestige of suburban, white-picket-fence rp on the server when you pull up in full hood ensemble

thats to say, hate having the cops called on you? maybe its a good idea to have picked a different neighbourhood, the only way i can see MP becoming a gang area is if richman houses were released to the script, for all the script money to be poured down into them

If I want to roleplay in a area then I mean, I should be able no? I’m not leaving because someone called the cops on me. I think it’s important to remember and common courtesy to assume the area has that gangs deeply embedded in their roots.

It’s situational but it’s expected to roleplay some degree of fear when a group of gang members are surrounding you in front of your house.

Just now, RoyalPainter said:

If I want to roleplay in a area then I mean, I should be able no? I’m not leaving because someone called the cops on me. I think it’s important to remember and common courtesy to assume the area has that gangs deeply embedded in their roots.

It’s situational but it’s expected to roleplay some degree of fear when a group of gang members are surrounding you in front of your house.

Oh, roleplaying in an area is fine. It's complaining that people roleplay your presence, nobody's asking you to leave, as a person or as a roleplayer. Again, as I said, it's a question of roleplay. And a question of where the faction you're portraying is situating, and how their poor approach to the locals is having repercussions in the form of prejudice and prosecution.

What roots, though? I've been in the area for close to a year and only now did I start to see people having jedi fights with bats at the Mirror Park gas-station.

What roots? It's a gentrified area, there weren't gangs for the longest time, save for the Mongols, who just ran a bar in the area. So now, because there's no properties in South Central and nobody's got the time to actually go through the paces of reporting inactive alts that hog them and property flippers that keep them for two weeks at a time, gangs are starting to move into suburban neighborhoods, acting like their faction threads and the text written within are gospel as to how suburban characters need to change their roleplay to accommodate.

Fear when a group of gang members surround you? Sure.

But where's the fear of having the cops called on you? Of moving into an area like Mirror Park and expecting your presence not to be acknowledged and trying to claim that just because your unofficial faction has two lines of text in the thread, it's now continuity that it's your hood, that Mirror Park is the ghetto and that by that twisted sort of logic, I'm now a local and gunning me down is appropriate for doing what everybody would realistically do; that is, call the police when I see something dumb.

People roleplay what they want, but it's realistic to know where your character belongs. It's also generally a good idea not to impose lore on people and claim roots, history and knowledge where none exist.

Don't get me wrong. I've ran into some illegal factions in the area before, but never barrio roleplayers walking in picket fence central like they own it. The factions I've seen have kept to the cab central area and haven't spilled down, because it wouldn't make sense to.

32 minutes ago, RoyalPainter said:

Mirror Park is based on what's currently a heavily gentrified suburban area known for Hipster cafés and houses that cost $750,000 in real life (Echo Park & Silver Lake). Both areas are the 20th and 22nd most walkable areas of Los Angeles. Additionally to this, even when not taking real life LA into account, the server has also made Mirror Park into the ultimate suburban dream: people are fighting to pay top money for Mirror Park property. You can RP wherever you want but that also includes other people RPing what they want (which is to push gangs out of their neighborhood).

You can rep Mirror Park all you like but your character would be deeply stupid to try and consistently mess with neighbors that are obviously against you being there and have no problem with calling the cops. Are you gonna really risk the charges of being caught because you're loitering in someone's yard and they catch you with an illegal gun over some beef?

Edited by Koko
  • Upvote 4
  • Wuhtah locked this topic