What are some valid levels of escalation with “legal” roleplayers?

26 minutes ago, RoyalPainter said:

Valid points but if you ask me, gangs rule by fear especially in the east where they’re more connected to their roots.

I would tag up their house and break their windows, do simple shit like that.

I see, this is what I never understood honestly. United States of America, which was always deemed as most secure country has all these issues. In a small country like mine, I like to think we have democracy and all that. But, from what I know...in here PD regulates whatever gangs we have, which are only small groups of dealers. And they regulate them heavily (we have ongoing neonazi issues, but fine.). We don't even have organized crime anymore, not what you would expect. Everything seems to be ruled from a small patch in the middle of our capital, called Intelligence service. Back in 90s they used organized crime to keep those few rich people in power for ages and they do it also today. Honestly here you don't even call cops. They are usually on every street and it is within their rights to randomly stop and strip search anyone they want. And believe it or not, the city I live in, is safe.

Edited by Engelbert
3 hours ago, RoyalPainter said:

You’re walking through Mirror Park with your homies before someone calls the cops on your group for acting “suspicious “ and what not, this is not a specific example but it ties back to the broader question. What would you do in this scenario? What would be fair levels for revenge?

If some random guy was running around in your backyard IRL I feel like having the cops come down and talk to him is a reasonable solution. In the situation I know you're referencing, the guys involved got in 0 trouble with the police. The cops literally just asked them to stop and left, so there was no need to escalate it further. It's the classic turning nothing into something; especially considering the original provocateur's were the ones trespassing in the first place. 

Edited by Sush
7 minutes ago, Sush said:

If some random guy was running around in your backyard IRL I feel like having the cops come down and talk to him is a reasonable solution. In the situation I know you're referencing, the guys involved got in 0 trouble with the police. The cops literally just asked them to stop and left, so there was no need to escalate it further. It's the classic turning nothing into something; especially considering the original provocateur's were the ones trespassing in the first place. 

Pretty much what would happen in real life.

Not a great mindset if you think every action has to have a reaction. Not every situation requires “revenge” just because you’re a gang member. Like people said in most cases the cops will just ask you to leave. No harm, no foul. Move on and live another day. 

2 minutes ago, Numelo said:

Not a great mindset if you think every action has to have a reaction. Not every situation requires “revenge” just because you’re a gang member. Like people said in most cases the cops will just ask you to leave. No harm, no foul. Move on and live another day. 

That also happens with civilians. You call the cops, you're pretty much dead meat meanwhile, I hear in the US people call the cops over a flat tire, but that could probably just be me.

Just now, Wolfhound said:

That also happens with civilians. You call the cops, you're pretty much dead meat meanwhile, I hear in the US people call the cops over a flat tire, but that could probably just be me.

My first job was a security guard in a gated community. People call the cops over the dumbest shit lol. Random people walking by. Too many cars in the road. Someone drove by without music too loud. It was always a great conversation when the cop was leaving, he always stopped by to tel me the dumb shit people called in 😂

4 hours ago, Biscuit said:

Talk to the cops and go about your day.

Not everything has to result in a bloodbath.

^ That'd be the solution. Now, if it were to be a continuous issue? I'd probably jump the snitch if I had ever found out who they were.

Not murder... but jump/assault them 10 deep.

37 minutes ago, Numelo said:

My first job was a security guard in a gated community. People call the cops over the dumbest shit lol. Random people walking by. Too many cars in the road. Someone drove by without music too loud. It was always a great conversation when the cop was leaving, he always stopped by to tel me the dumb shit people called in 😂

I saw a fucking video of a black guy who worked UPS or some other delivery company who was given the code by a resident so he can DELIVER the order, and some randoms started demanding him to answer how he got in etc.. the guy kept filming the whole thing.

So, I think when examining you have to keep in mind the sort of people who get involved with crime and how they react emotionally to certain situations. Boiling the question down to OP's extent doesn't paint a full picture because it's not a straightforward answer, it's not black and white. 

While it is often overplayed and at points cliché, criminals are often individuals with anger management and other emotional regulatory issues. If in OP's example the criminal player can easily identify the individual who report them and can quickly close the distance between them without interruption by PD? I wouldn't classify that as bad RP. It shouldn't be encouraged, but I wouldn't consider it bad RP. 

However, these very specific circumstances rarely appear IG. Issues arrive when criminals hold on to the smallest grudges for retribution at a later time. We RP living in a huge metropolitan area, if your characters from strawberry and an incident happens in Vinewood your not going to return to Vinewood looking for the person who reported you at a later time. 

The other question that needs to be asked is, how will a criminal organization respond to the same scenario? Because again, the situation presented by OP isn't black and white. It's one thing to piss off an individual or fuck with their business, it's another thing entirely to cause problems or bring attention to a criminal group. Retaliation can vary depending on how large of an issue your call created and what ethnicity or type of criminal organization that is being portrayed. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic