Geographical placement of gangs.

Rushing

30 minutes ago, hillievonb said:

Some areas of Vespucci, specifically the Canals for example, some areas of Mirror Park. If you look at the map you just posted, there is plenty of territory in the equivalent areas that isn't claimed.

Like, if someone wants to set up a gang in Vespucci or some corner of Mirror Park, sure... but they can't just force people o accept their gang's backstory as continuity, or decide that "actually, this represents this specific gang-ridden area of Los Angeles". Because the other residents can also go "no, actually, this represents this specific area of Los Angeles that's just full of Karens". Los Santos isn't Los Angeles.

saying stuff like "they don't have to accept your backstory" is what causes cringe shit like people in little seoul going around covering up every single peice of gang graffiti they can find even though they realistically wouldn't care about that. Certain facs need to change how they RP around locals, but majority of locals rp very cringe towards gangs and act like saints and vigilantes only when it comes to gangs.

As for the main post, the biggest problem is probably the fact the Watts (Rancho units) are taken up completely by rancho 13 so facs that want to rp there to follow IRL such as BHB can't establish there, I  know people actively want to make gangs like  PJ Watts and Grape ST but can't because those gangs entire cultures would rely on using those flats which are all taken up by 1 faction.

Edited by Pathway
27 minutes ago, Jedai said:

Gang placement isn't a problem on the server in my opinion, we've already established that since LA = LS per continuity management, that there's leeway in that regard. The issue is now how gangs in certain geographical locations act towards it's populace. THAT in my opinion is my issue. People need to understand that just because you're in a gang doesn't suddenly mean you throw your brain out the window when dealing with locals. 

Mirror Park is a prime example. It's okay to have a gang in this area. Roleplay around the fact that it's gentrified hipster paradise where cops and well off middle class folk live. Do not attempt to turn into South Central v2 because your gang couldn't be set up there because of the housing crisis the server has. It makes it a lot easier for people to deal with when you understand what you're doing if you make gangs in these areas. 

The issue with this is it's your subjective opinions. There's gangs in similar locations in real life, history aside, presence of cops in the neighborhood not aside, who will continue to act like that. Everyone has differing personalities, and everywhere has a different set of actors that influence how everyone acts towards others.

7 minutes ago, Midwest said:

The issue with this is it's your subjective opinions. There's gangs in similar locations in real life, history aside, presence of cops in the neighborhood not aside, who will continue to act like that. Everyone has differing personalities, and everywhere has a different set of actors that influence how everyone acts towards others.

It's not very subjective to say that gang members should know what demographic they're dealing with depending on what area they're in. My entire point is that this isn't being taken into account at all in these areas outside of South Central. 

1 minute ago, Jedai said:

It's not very subjective to say that gang members should know what demographic they're dealing with depending on what area they're in. My entire point is that this isn't being taken into account at all in these areas outside of South Central. 

Actually, it is subjective, because every person in existence acts differently in comparison to the varying factors of their development, current life situation, friends, family, social climate, ideological beliefs, religious beliefs, political beliefs; everything influences how people act. You have the mindset you do because of the varying factors in your life that've influenced you up to the current point that has helped you formulate your opinion. The same can be vice versa with anyone. Also on a whole nother level it absolutely is subjective to say that people "should know the demographic we're dealing with", that is entirely your personal opinion, and there is no factual backing that you "should know". When we're speaking on peoples lines of thought, it is inherently subjective when you say they "should know", because you're projecting your own line of thoughts towards others and making the assumption that it is the "correct" line of thought.

2 minutes ago, Midwest said:

Actually, it is subjective, because every person in existence acts differently in comparison to the varying factors of their development, current life situation, friends, family, social climate, ideological beliefs, religious beliefs, political beliefs; everything influences how people act. You have the mindset you do because of the varying factors in your life that've influenced you up to the current point that has helped you formulate your opinion. The same can be vice versa with anyone. Also on a whole nother level it absolutely is subjective to say that people "should know the demographic we're dealing with", that is entirely your personal opinion, and there is no factual backing that you "should know". When we're speaking on peoples lines of thought, it is inherently subjective when you say they "should know", because you're projecting your own line of thoughts towards others and making the assumption that it is the "correct" line of thought.

The factual backing is using your eyes to look around your environment. It doesn't take that long to realize what's going on. You're being a contrarian for the sake of it at this point. There's a reason a lot of people are a "product of their environment". This applies to just about everyone. Some people break the mold, others dont. It really ain't subjective to tell people roleplaying in these areas to use their eyes and understand the demographic they're dealing with else we might as well just be Chiraq RP all over the map. 

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Jedai said:

The factual backing is using your eyes to look around your environment. It doesn't take that long to realize what's going on. You're being a contrarian for the sake of it at this point. There's a reason a lot of people are a "product of their environment". This applies to just about everyone. Some people break the mold, others dont. It really ain't subjective to tell people roleplaying in these areas to use their eyes and understand the demographic they're dealing with else we might as well just be Chiraq RP all over the map. 

Yes I am being contrarian, why? Because when we're talking facts about how people factually act it's important to use facts, not just expanding to the entirety of anything that facts usually are facts and rule as facts over opinion. I talk factual subjects in factual manners usually. You literally countered your own point, also, here is an article that goes over the meanings of Objective and Subjective, it's a good article that actually explains the difference, whether or not you're correct here, it is still subjective. 

Difference Between Objective and Subjective (with Comparison Chart) - Key Differences

Remember, what people *should* do, is  opinion. What people do, do, is factual. Also I'm not defending "chiraq rp" but people have a very very very very very very very very very horrible misconception about how people in general act, and how people act how they do, furthered and pointed specifically to how they think gang members really act.

Edited by Midwest
4 minutes ago, Midwest said:

I'm not being contrarian. You literally countered your own point, also, here is an article that goes over the meanings of Objective and Subjective, it's a good article that actually explains the difference, whether or not you're correct here, it is still subjective. 

Difference Between Objective and Subjective (with Comparison Chart) - Key Differences

Remember, what people *should* do, is  opinion. What people do, do, is factual. Also I'm not defending "chiraq rp" but people have a very very very very very very very very very horrible misconception about how people in general act, and how people act how they do, furthered and pointed specifically to how they think gang members really act.

My opinion is based off of dealing with gangs irl and even then west coast gangs (especially LA) still differ (not to an insane extent) from even some of my experiences. I don't really care for the all the extra stuff you're linking to keep it a buck. My entire point and I'm going to stay firm with that is, people need to look at these areas they're in so they act accordingly with their portrayal. I'm not really going to go into another circle about this. 

9 minutes ago, yungskywalker said:

Mirror Park needs to be added in there as well.

This is one of those grey areas like Vespucci because, much to @i dont wanna od in LA's point, the GTA 5 map is pretty consolidated. The same way you've got Long Beach and Venice combined in Vespucci, you've got Echo Park and Silver Lake combined in Mirror Park. Silver Lake is relatively safe while Echo Park is ridden by gangs. There's an easy compromise: live and let live.

That same compromise means don't do stuff like this because you make no sense with what you're trying to portray (e.g. a local gang in a hipster-central area).

The bigger issue is factions, groups, etc. circumvent their surroundings to fit what it is they're trying to portray with total disregard to the IC history surrounding the place. I'll make an easy example: Vespucci is mostly known to be a pretty rough area, especially on the far end near Goma St. Mirror Park has been (and still is, despite recent factions) middle class & pretty safe. Continuity needs to look at establishing better history to hold the server's population to so everyone can be on the same page.

Edited by liq
1 minute ago, Jedai said:

My opinion is based off of dealing with gangs irl and even then west coast gangs (especially LA) still differ (not to an insane extent) from even some of my experiences. I don't really care for the all the extra stuff you're linking to keep it a buck. My entire point and I'm going to stay firm with that is, people need to look at these areas they're in so they act accordingly with their portrayal. I'm not really going to go into another circle about this. 

I mean I've lived in suburban areas with gangs that're bigger and do a whole lot more than those smack dab in the middle of inner cities. It all differs from person to person and gang to gang. The more wealthy the area, the bigger the targets and the bigger the customers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rohan. locked this topic