Add Weekly Offline Property Tax

maramizo

39 minutes ago, Entity said:
  • 12% as a default value for all properties valued at $35,000 or less, which would yield a result of a maximum $4,200 a week in tax.
  • A decrease of 0.03 percentage points for each 5,000 (or 0.000006% per dollar).
  • This would mean the following, as examples:
    • A $95,000 MP property will have a $11,058 weekly tax, at 11.64%.
    • A $105,000 MP property will have a $12,159 weekly tax, at 11.58%.
    • A $200,000 MP property will have a $22,020 weekly tax, at 11.01%.
    • A whopping $400,000 MP property will have a $39,240 weekly tax, at 9.81%.

Heya, the actual excel equation to calculate the percentage here would be "=IF(A1<=35000,12%,12%-A1*0.000006%)".

5 minutes ago, maramizo said:

These literally include this very suggestion of a weekly tax, lol.

The thing is that your tax has some fucking mathematics behind it. The way management plans to get it done os 5% of MP if you're inactive and 1% of MP if you get more than 20h in a week. It's relatively easy and has no variables behind it. I guess that we all can agree that nobody wants to sit here and calculate whether they can afford to own a house or not.

3 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

The thing is that your tax has some fucking mathematics behind it. The way management plans to get it done os 5% of MP if you're inactive and 1% of MP if you get more than 20h in a week. It's relatively easy and has no variables behind it. I guess that we all can agree that nobody wants to sit here and calculate whether they can afford to own a house or not.

It's calculated by the script, and should effectively be in the /pinfo information. That way it would say:
Weekly tax: $X.

Edited by maramizo
3 hours ago, Entity said:

I quit the server around a month ago so I am not sure what the situation is right now, although I suppose it is similar. I have a solution though.

20% would be way too much. Lots of decent properties cost around $100,000-$200,000, which would translate to a $20,000-$40,000 weekly payment. They're not huge mansions either.

The best (and only) way to regulate this would be to introduce a regressive tax system. Otherwise some people will end up paying WAY too much for just wanting to play, while people holding onto cheap properties would not pay much at all. Introduce tax brackets for housing. It's not that big of a deal.

This is my solution.

• 12% as a default value for all properties valued at $35,000 or less, which would yield a result of a maximum $4,200 a week in tax.
  • A decrease of 0.03 percentage points for each 5,000 (or 0.000006% per dollar).
  • This would mean the following, as examples:
    • A $95,000 MP property will have a $11,058 weekly tax, at 11.64%.
    • A $105,000 MP property will have a $12,159 weekly tax, at 11.58%.
    • A $200,000 MP property will have a $22,020 weekly tax, at 11.01%.
    • A whopping $400,000 MP property will have a $39,240 weekly tax, at 9.81%.
  • This would, obviously, only take into consideration the MP of the property and not the price of the furniture, or else people with nice homes will be taxed for no reason.
  • Decrease the percentage by 2.5% - 5% if the player is inactive - add it as a donator perk - a decrease, not a complete removal of the tax.
  • The taxes could be looked at as various in-character upfront, occasional and continued expenses (ref), although this is an entirely OOC problem. More on this below.
  • I will attach a simple Excel file that I used to generate these numbers in order for other people to play with them and come up with better numbers. This is just an example (which I believe is pretty good, honestly). Either way, there has to be a tax and it has to be regressive.
  • @effion you guys might be interested in this.

Increasing the number of houses won't fix anything. Say you add 5,000 more houses, huge number (of applications, especially). It will be fine for a month (besides the tremendous work from Property Management) until everyone who wanted a house will have one, and then, when there are none left (considering there are 100,000 users and thousands more registering every month, number that was increasing last time I checked), you'll be back here, at square one. Removing the price cap will also do nothing. GTA World will just be LSRP v2, houses will definitely be on sale, but for millions upon millions of dollars.

As I said before, this is in no way an in-character problem and it can't (and shouldn't) be referenced as such. It is not a realistic issue. In real life, if you have the money, you can buy a house, or at least an apartment. If there are none available (which is unlikely), you can build one from scratch. People are also not "hoarding" houses (in this way, for these reasons). There are two problems in-game: there is a highly limited supply of housing that physically cannot be increased - even scripting all of the houses on the map will just delay this same issue - and the fact that buying decisions are for the most part, influenced by the OOC decisions of players (and not characters) of buying a certain property in a specific area, thus making some purely worthless areas (the real-life counterparts) extremely sought-after for no realistic reason - think of $300,000 for a run-down trailer twice the size of a prison cell, looking worse than one, in the middle of nowhere, or having to wait for months in order to buy a small apartment in Forum Drive - these are not realistic decisions and should not be referenced as such. They are, however, perfectly fine on an out-of-character level.

Either way, something has to be done and I believe that implemeting taxes on housing is a must. If someone is truly using a property to role-play, that means that the character should afford it. Living in a $35,000 Forum Drive apartment as a gang-banger and paying $5,000 a week is not a big deal. Living in a $400,000 ultra-mansion and portraying a mob boss and paying $40,000 or so a week is also not a huge deal. This will weed out the people who don't actually do anything but rather hoard properties - if someone only keeps a really cool house (that someone else wants to RP in) for possible future profits, they'll be paying $20,000 a week on it and all of those profits will be gone in weeks. They will either sell it or run out of money and sell it. Hoarded properties will become a money sink.

taxes.xlsx 11.69 kB · 1 download

Hah, no. I have 2 apartments (Penthouses) which are used for our roleplay to throw parties and I have a studio which again is a property for roleplay, this will mean that I will have to pay upwards to $100,000 every week which is utterly stupid and in the meantime I don't get any sort of income besides of once in every 2-3 months if I get to realize my events because it takes long enough to get something done when admins are involved or something big is planned while the pay is not really big. 

I can't grasp it what you guys are on but it's not the solution that will help the server but only ruin it. I assure you that most of the people will sell their properties on MP because what you suggest is RIDICULOUS, I have a lot of money but hell I am not looking to get drained in a months time just because you want to implement something you have no idea from.

Your suggestion might only work for people to change houses every week/month so everyone gets to own it for a bit because nobody will hold onto anything long-term and so why would they even purchase it in the first place.

Can you please provide me with your character's income and if it is steady every week so we can look at it more seriously? Oh, you don't play anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1