Regarding the latest changes to Rule #2

27 minutes ago, Ellix said:

Is that really common though

Are people buying the best that the script allows? If the best the script allows is what most people are buying, then yes, it really is that common.

28 minutes ago, Ellix said:

it seemed like the vast majority of affordable car trackers for the average person run on a rechargeable battery

Yes,recharged by the car battery, but not exclusively powered by the car battery alone. 

I need to ask at this point, how familiar are you with automotive engineering? Have you changed an oil filter before, or replaced a blinker lightbulb?

1. Get rid of the OOC list of cars to steal so shitboxes don’t need full security systems and more expensive cars are logically more favored to steal.

2. Remove the system of chopping cars and making knives from each other, it makes 0 sense and is highly unrealistic.

3. Of course you roleplay before using a script command. (Unless the command starts a timer of something like an hour and requires you to remain there while roleplaying and can be undone until up to 75% or so of it is completed) (too rpg IMO though, roleplay standard should simply be higher)

4. Ask the developers for jamming devices and additional commands to remove tracking first, the latter of which should still take time, and the jamming would not remove the last known location from an expensive security system, so you better jam before you arrive at your chopping location.

Honestly, you’re in the wrong section here and need to switch to https://forum.gta.world/en/forum/45-game-suggestions/ to address the issues you face.

5. Can’t believe this topic actually exists and that OP blatantly admits to having always powergamed this out of OOC fear of being caught, you should’ve suggested something better instead of following a low standard of roleplay.

Edited by Triple Seven
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

I have had a vehicle parked outside an apartment without security system for fifteen minutes, only to find it already being chopped with this system message popping up. The same applied to expensive vehicles with security systems installed, but that was a rather rare occurence.

From personal experience since playing on the server since the beginning, there has been ups- and downs in the popularity of chopping vehicles, but one thing is for certain: There is a bunch of players who literally have despawned their cars outside open business etc. to avoid getting their car nicked for the one hour they are inside.

The later it got within the evening, the worse it got with your vehicles just being gone. Even worse, you couldn't leave your vehicle parked outside your apartment (even in wealthy areas), because the next time you would find them either being chopped (if you were online fast enough to even notice it) or have them parked at some port warehouse or in the middle of nowhere.

I mean, I might live in a rather rural area of Germany with barely any crime, and we portray the USA here, but honestly I have never ever feared for my car being stolen IRL. Though in-game for example, I have had to deal with the constant troubling thoughts: "I can't park here, otherwise it's going to be gone within minutes." 

This changed after the fact I have purchased one of the more expensive vehicles the server has to offer, which resulted it in never happening once, I suppose it isn't on any chopping list. With a Benefactor Schafter V12, a vehicle which I had a year ago or so, this was a frequent occurence.

On 6/4/2021 at 8:32 PM, DasFroggy said:

As long as folks don't metagame it, sure.

This is your problem - you're jacking the car and going straight to your garage. If the car is truly and wholly required, be smart and don't take it straight to the garage. 

Take it to an empty parking lot, and watch from a distance. If the car has anti-theft AND someone monitoring it, they'll show up. If nobody arrives after twenty or so minutes, leave your concealment and take the car to your garage.

What I won't be sharing is where I park specifically, but I've got this nice little place with a good amount of escape avenues, but only one obvious way for police to go if they want to confirm the location of the car. Makes it easy to see that they're checking, and allows for a quiet and inconspicuous departure.

What won't work is some fast n' furious nonsense. Stealing cars isn't meant to be fast and safe. It's meant to be risky and tedious, moreso if you have no intention to be smart about it.

Anyways, I agree with what @DasFroggy is saying here. This is how it should have been done in the first place, but like explained above - people have been so fearful of it happening, as it was a frequent occurence that it was nothing but pretty fucking annoying.

I cannot really roleplay my car being stolen and chopped five times a week because I have been playing actively.

On 6/4/2021 at 8:32 PM, DasFroggy said:

As long as folks don't metagame it, sure.

This is your problem - you're jacking the car and going straight to your garage. If the car is truly and wholly required, be smart and don't take it straight to the garage. 

Take it to an empty parking lot, and watch from a distance. If the car has anti-theft AND someone monitoring it, they'll show up. If nobody arrives after twenty or so minutes, leave your concealment and take the car to your garage.

What I won't be sharing is where I park specifically, but I've got this nice little place with a good amount of escape avenues, but only one obvious way for police to go if they want to confirm the location of the car. Makes it easy to see that they're checking, and allows for a quiet and inconspicuous departure.

What won't work is some fast n' furious nonsense. Stealing cars isn't meant to be fast and safe. It's meant to be risky and tedious, moreso if you have no intention to be smart about it.

I know which player was behind the car theft of my character’s vehicle sometime ago 👀

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

Yes,recharged by the car battery, but not exclusively powered by the car battery alone. 

I need to ask at this point, how familiar are you with automotive engineering? Have you changed an oil filter before, or replaced a blinker lightbulb?

I feel like you're being a little patronizing here. Yes, I've changed an oil filter, what does that have to do with anything?

I'm trying to see where you're coming from, but the more I look into it, the more I only find things that seem contradictory to what you're saying. For example, a simple google search for car gps trackers turns up lists like this: https://cartreatments.com/best-car-gps-tracker/

Literally every one of those is either powered by it's own battery (which is not continuously charged by the car battery, as evidenced by saying things like "2 week battery life, so you need to keep an eye on it" "Great 7 day battery life" etc. OR it's powered by the OBD II port, which means it's getting power from the car's battery, and does not have it's own power source aside from that. You can look through the Q&A and reviews on the products to see that when they're disconnected from the car's battery, they do not function.

I'm sure trackers like the ones you describe exist, but your claim that all trackers are like that now just isn't true. Those seem to be the exception, more than the rule.

20 minutes ago, Ellix said:

I feel like you're being a little patronizing here. Yes, I've changed an oil filter, what does that have to do with anything?

I'm trying to see where you're coming from, but the more I look into it, the more I only find things that seem contradictory to what you're saying. For example, a simple google search for car gps trackers turns up lists like this: https://cartreatments.com/best-car-gps-tracker/

Literally every one of those is either powered by it's own battery (which is not continuously charged by the car battery, as evidenced by saying things like "2 week battery life, so you need to keep an eye on it" "Great 7 day battery life" etc. OR it's powered by the OBD II port, which means it's getting power from the car's battery, and does not have it's own power source aside from that. You can look through the Q&A and reviews on the products to see that when they're disconnected from the car's battery, they do not function.

I'm sure trackers like the ones you describe exist, but your claim that all trackers are like that now just isn't true. Those seem to be the exception, more than the rule.

We have different grades of security systems on the server. The most expensive one should obviously have all features, including a backup battery. And yes they do exist, the importance of a backup battery is stipulated in multiple places during a one minute Google search. Whether it's more exception than rule doesn't matter in this case.

Any criminal should assume the more expensive cars are equipped with the most expensive security and roleplay precautions accordingly like mentioned before in this thread. However, I still believe this does not belong in rule suggestions. OP or anyone else involved in this sort of roleplay should post a (or multiple) suggestion(s) in game suggestions. Something being an issue, doesn't mean you powergame out of it.

Just now, Ellix said:

Fair enough for the most expensive anti-theft option, but what about the cheaper ones? It seems more realistic that those would have the sort of GPS tracker that are much more commonly found, wouldn't they?

of course, there should be more information what the security options do in the menu however. I doubt the mechanics all know what the difference is to be honest, it's really vague, unless you have this topic at hand.

10 hours ago, Triple Seven said:

1. Get rid of the OOC list of cars to steal so shitboxes don’t need full security systems and more expensive cars are logically more favored to steal.

2. Remove the system of chopping cars and making knives from each other, it makes 0 sense and is highly unrealistic.

3. Of course you roleplay before using a script command. (Unless the command starts a timer of something like an hour and requires you to remain there while roleplaying and can be undone until up to 75% or so of it is completed) (too rpg IMO though, roleplay standard should simply be higher)

4. Ask the developers for jamming devices and additional commands to remove tracking first, the latter of which should still take time, and the jamming would not remove the last known location from an expensive security system, so you better jam before you arrive at your chopping location.

Honestly, you’re in the wrong section here and need to switch to https://forum.gta.world/en/forum/45-game-suggestions/ to address the issues you face.

5. Can’t believe this topic actually exists and that OP blatantly admits to having always powergamed this out of OOC fear of being caught, you should’ve suggested something better instead of following a low standard of roleplay.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 lol /endthread

The fact that someone feels it correct to use the script before RP is honestly the issue at hand. That’s not how it’s supposed to go. Just put a timer on when they use the script to where the car doesn’t actually despawn for a certain amount of time. I agree the standard should be higher to not need a timer but here we are with this thread lol

Edited by Numelo
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 12:25 PM, Numelo said:

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 lol /endthread

The fact that someone feels it correct to use the script before RP is honestly the issue at hand. That’s not how it’s supposed to go. Just put a timer on when they use the script to where the car doesn’t actually despawn for a certain amount of time. I agree the standard should be higher to not need a timer but here we are with this thread lol

I mean, when you catch 100+ people actively using and spreading cheats among their factions and let them off with a warning, that really shouldn't be a surprise any more tbh.

Edited by Smilesville