Regarding the latest changes to Rule #2

I know of cars SD's been watching that have been insta-chopped upon entry to garages - Which is frankly utter bull and I'm glad it's actually black-and-white as powergame now.

If you are worried about anti-theft pooching you, actually use some degree of tactics to mitigate the risk. What @DasFroggy posted is actually one of the smartest things I've seen about someone who's properly deep into the chop game.

On 6/4/2021 at 2:15 PM, i dont wanna od in LA said:

You can't check if the vehicle has anti-theft.

She stated that you could steal the vehicle, park it at a random location, then leave it at that random location to scope out whether any officers or the owner arrives at the vehicle. If nobody arrives at the random location? Then, you're more than likely secure to chop the vehicle without any repercussions. 

Stealing and chopping a vehicle is SUPPOSED to be an extremely high-risk act. The system is fine, as it is, and I've been chopping vehicles for over a year. In fact, this rule will only heighten the quality of R.P. as people will be more cautious with stealing vehicles. If you get caught? Then, that's some development in one's R.P., alongside with a learning-curve for your character to steal vehicles more effectively.

• Upvote 1

To my knowledge, most car gps trackers that are actively running are either running off the car's battery and electrical system, or they have their own battery that needs to be charged every 4-5 days. So realistically, the people that RP having a GPS system that they literally just install and forget about it, leaving it constantly running, have ones that draw power from the car's battery. 

Doesn't this mean that simply popping the hood, and disconnecting the battery should be an acceptable way of disabling them?

26 minutes ago, Ellix said:

To my knowledge, most car gps trackers that are actively running are either running off the car's battery and electrical system, or they have their own battery that needs to be charged every 4-5 days. So realistically, the people that RP having a GPS system that they literally just install and forget about it, leaving it constantly running, have ones that draw power from the car's battery. 

Doesn't this mean that simply popping the hood, and disconnecting the battery should be an acceptable way of disabling them?

Only the really cheap security tracking is directly tied to the vehicle battery and nothing else for power, precisely because of what you're suggesting. It's very rare for security GPS tracking to lack an independent power source that is charged by the battery but also capable of continuing operation even if the battery is removed.

That's to say that in any case where the anti-theft tracking is operational, the owner purchased one of the many brands that have a connected power supply. For the ones that didn't? Roleplay to your heart's content that you does led it by removing the battery.

It's just like the movie depictions of jacking - what you're suggesting is the stuff of movies afforded alongside plot armor and bottomless magazines.

Edited by DasFroggy
On 6/7/2021 at 2:12 AM, DLimit said:

Stealing and chopping a vehicle is SUPPOSED to be an extremely high-risk act. The system is fine, as it is, and I've been chopping vehicles for over a year. In fact, this rule will only heighten the quality of R.P. as people will be more cautious with stealing vehicles. If you get caught? Then, that's some development in one's R.P., alongside with a learning-curve for your character to steal vehicles more effectively.

I'd add to this, not every idiot in real life can just start stealing and chopping cars. There are gangs with whole setups for this. Electronics, locksmiths, mechanics. When do people take a look from the window and realize that what rules over the world today is technology. Breaking into a car and stealing it takes few seconds, if you know how.

59 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

That's to say that in any case where the anti-theft tracking is operational, the owner purchased one of the many brands that have a connected power supply. For the ones that didn't? Roleplay to your heart's content that you does led it by removing the battery.

So are they RPing having to remove it and charge the battery every week or so, or do they just get to say they installed a GPS that doesn't use the car's battery, and also never has to be recharged or changed? That doesn't really make sense.

19 minutes ago, Ellix said:

So are they RPing having to remove it and charge the battery every week or so, or do they just get to say they installed a GPS that doesn't use the car's battery, and also never has to be recharged or changed? That doesn't really make sense.

No, there's two onboard batteries, the first and main source being the car battery, which charges when the motor is running during standard operation. Then there's the battery installed on the tracker, which is not as big and is charged by the car battery directly. No manual charging is needed, as just like your car battery, any anti-theft tracker you can get today automatically charges via the car battery.

Problem is, the anti-theft tracker battery isn't physically near the battery, so you can't pop the hood and get the car battery and the anti-theft tracker battery in one go. The anti-theft tracker battery is affixed directly to the anti-theft tracker, which is elsewhere in the car just like how your radio or AC is positioned. That means if you want to find the anti-theft tracker battery, you have to find the anti-theft tracker first, which means sifting through and distinguishing the wires from each other. Pick the wrong one, and you're just cutting power to the radio. Cut the right wire, and the anti-theft tracker switches to the battery installed in it, giving it a day or two of juice.

So, to summarize, the anti-theft tracker battery is mainly a backup attached directly to the anti-theft tracker. The anti-theft tracker and the battery attached to it is elsewhere in the vehicle, but both are charged automatically by the car battery.

Edited by DasFroggy

Is that really common though, and what the average person would have? Because when I was looking into them, it seemed like the vast majority of affordable car trackers for the average person run on a rechargeable battery. A longer battery life seemed to be a big selling point for most of them.

On 6/4/2021 at 3:43 PM, F0r3sT said:

Majority of the players that don't agree with this suggestion never tried chopping or illegal RP. +1 support.

What a convenient argument that doesn't entail defending the suggestion itself.

Majority of players that agree with this suggestion have a meta reason for doing so rather than basing their preferences on what is realistic. -1 support.

See how that works? Trust me, you're getting the easiest possible solution here.

If it were up to me, you'd take an hour to chop the car with an activity timer checking to make sure you're emoting every three to five minutes. Gonna have to show your work if you think it should be quicker than that.

Edited by Smilesville