Guide or Video For Driving?

Nyami

I have never been behind the wheel in my life so I am very new to it and I'm finding the roads confusing, heh. But yeah, the taxi idea is a great one! The last one I had was totally reckless but I think I'm just on a bad luck streak right now 😆 Will do it again and see how it goes.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Nyami said:

I have never been behind the wheel in my life so I am very new to it and I'm finding the roads confusing, heh. But yeah, the taxi idea is a great one! The last one I had was totally reckless but I think I'm just on a bad luck streak right now 😆 Will do it again and see how it goes.

Maybe that opens up some roleplay opportunities for you. You could roleplay that your character basically is a bad driver and as such you avoid driving as much as possible, taking the taxi or walking more often than not. And then gradually as you learn the way of the road you can build that on your character. Don't be ashamed of the fact that you do not know how to drive, a lot of people on the server don't know how to drive properly but at least you are trying your hardest to learn 🙂 Hey as someone mentioned you can also put up an advertisement stating that you are searching for a driving instructor to teach you how to drive and maybe pay them. 

Its all about the roleplay you create and find 🙂

Good luck!

Thanks! That's a good idea, using the RP angle, especially as my character is supposed to be a nervous guy so it would make sense for him I guess! I really appreciate all of you guys' help, I honestly worried that when I made this topic I'd be trolled to death 😆 but I've been pleasantly surprised for sure!

5 hours ago, Nyami said:

Thanks, that site seems pretty useful too. I think I'm having the most trouble getting confused/overwhelmed by the arrows on the road and the two way streets? I think that's what this is called:1.png.ffd8d8e2430b5f2ce7dc1f4278df81cf.png

I will continue to study though, and I'll try not to space out so much, heh. If anybody knows of any more particularly helpful YouTube videos to share, I would love to see them! I really appreciate all of your help!

The arrows on the road indicate which lane you need to be in depending on the direction you're wanting to go. If the arrow is going to the left, you need to be in that lane to turn left, same thing with turning right. If the arrow is straight, you cant turn there (unless its a small road where theres no markings, I.E one lane) and have to go straight. 

The picture you linked is a four way intersection, in that picture, the white car has a red light, and the other two have a green light, meaning the white car has to wait for the light to turn green before proceeding. 

Read this for further assistance regarding road markings; https://www.streetwisedrivingacademy.org/uploads/1/0/6/7/10672962/pavement_markings_3.pdf

Ooh that link looks especially helpful! Thank you, thank you, thank you! 😄

This one in particular has been confusing me a bit:

1.png.4348e8e79f4182b9d74755e34dde5b0a.png

I drew the green lines on the road to show how I think you are supposed to do it. Am I correct? Starting at the curved arrow and then turning to the straight arrows? Are you allowed to stay in the middle if you want to go straight?

Edited by Nyami
39 minutes ago, Nyami said:

Ooh that link looks especially helpful! Thank you, thank you, thank you! 😄

This one in particular has been confusing me a bit:

1.png.4348e8e79f4182b9d74755e34dde5b0a.png

I drew the green lines on the road to show how I think you are supposed to do it. Am I correct? Starting at the curved arrow and then turning to the straight arrows? Are you allowed to stay in the middle if you want to go straight?

The lanes on the side(the ones with the arrow pointing straight) are meant if you want to proceed on that road and go straight. The arrowed lanes in the middle are for taking the exits on each side respectfully.

What you drew was U turning which is not allowed. So you can either go right or left in the middle lane depending from which direction you are coming and taking the exit, the side lanes are for continuing forward. This is a weird example to be honest and generally you wont experiance intersections in game like this.

I normally play around 22:00 - 02:00 server time during the week. And weekends vary. I'm GMT -4 time zone. My in-game name is Desmond Collins. PM me if you ever catch me online and we can RP something, maybe stumbling into each other or something and I'll help you out.

9 hours ago, Rasta said:

The lanes on the side(the ones with the arrow pointing straight) are meant if you want to proceed on that road and go straight. The arrowed lanes in the middle are for taking the exits on each side respectfully.

What you drew was U turning which is not allowed. So you can either go right or left in the middle lane depending from which direction you are coming and taking the exit, the side lanes are for continuing forward. This is a weird example to be honest and generally you wont experiance intersections in game like this.

Oh you're right, that is a U turn. I don't know what I was thinking, heh. Yeah that one is really, really confusing. Are there certain areas that have this that I should avoid for now until I'm better at this? Or areas that are just easier to drive through in general?

@Scorgasmic Oh, nice. I will look for Desmond Collins in game! My character's name is Paul Burke. (I hope this doesn't count as metagaming!)

10 hours ago, Nyami said:

Oh you're right, that is a U turn. I don't know what I was thinking, heh. Yeah that one is really, really confusing. Are there certain areas that have this that I should avoid for now until I'm better at this? Or areas that are just easier to drive through in general?

@Scorgasmic Oh, nice. I will look for Desmond Collins in game! My character's name is Paul Burke. (I hope this doesn't count as metagaming!)

To be honest it's best to just drive around and experiance the road, you will get used to it eventually but until then you will make mistakes but we all learn from mistakes so that's a good thing. Even I that understand road laws and such tend to make a few mistakes here and there just because the road signals can be very confusing at times, follow the lanes, do not skip lanes too often and obey the signals and markings provided to you by the road and you should be fine.

To be honest it's just like real life, the country roads and the highways/freeways outside of a city are generally easy to drive on since they are simple and don't change much. It becomes complex when you enter the city with changes on almost every new street and loads of intersections. But like I said, it could create for you and others some unique and interesting roleplay opportunities.

3) Metagaming

Providing in-character (IC) information to another player using out-of-character (OOC) means. Providing OOC information to another player using IC means. Using OOC means to find in-character information. Using OOC communication and/or information to influence anything in-character.

Keep in mind that if you use ANY information to act out with your character which you gained trough OOC means would be considered metagaming. So it's best to try and advertise yourself like I said in game trough IC means such as the advertisement system. This way you'll avoid potential metagaming trough the forums so I wouldn't act upon the information provided here to meet with others.

I did advertise in-game and found a very helpful person! That was an excellent idea and I thank you for that. They pointed out my biggest issue is stopping in the middle of an intersection, which I keep doing because of the crosswalks. I'm not supposed to stop at the second crosswalk I drive through, am I? (Unless there's a person crossing of course!) Also, roundabouts are very challenging and often confuse and scare me. I guess it does just take practice!