The Pentagon Wars: Reformers Challenge the Old Guard - James Burton, 1993
Trial of Charle I (transcript), 1649

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

I-730 (Rev. 6-9-2020)

FBQRP LOS SANTOS
Special Agent in Charge William Donovan
(555) 723-2224

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

"Operation Clown Town" Comes to an End, Identifies Several Issues Contributing to Low Quality Role Play

LOS SANTOS – Federal law enforcement authorities have announced the results of a targeted effort to curb low-quality role play across San Andreas. "Operation Clown Town" took place from June 3 to June 30 and resulted in the identification of several issues that contribute to the propagation of low-quality, unrealistic role play across Los Santos and its surrounding areas. The undercover operation was part of a series of law enforcement actions aimed at increasing the quality of role play across the board by identifying common sources of subpar role play and testing local response to these issues. 

"Operation Clown Town" was planned and directed by William J. Donovan, Special Agent in Charge (SAC) of the Realism Enforcement Branch (REB), FBQRP's Los Santos Field Office. Over the course of the investigation, SAC Donovan (codename @The Colonel) acted in an undercover capacity, posing as Water Resources Inspector III Richard Pagliacci of the San Andreas State Water Resources Control Board, in order to test in-character reactions to players alleging to be part of an organization that does not exist script-wise.

Throughout the operation, SAC Donovan was assisted by an FBQRP confidential informant (codename @arrdef) who agreed to cooperate with federal authorities following his arrest last year on charges relating to low quality, unrealistic role play. The confidential informant had previously posed as a middle-aged African-American male in a supervisory position engaging in field work and portrayed his character as being part of a non-existing Bureau of Sanitation operating under the City of Los Santos. His previous experience served as the basis for "Operation Clown Town", where he cooperated with SAC Donovan by assuming the identity of Department of Toxic Substances Senior Investigator William Coup.

The main result of "Operation Clown Town" was the identification of several key areas negatively affecting the quality of role play for all of those involved. In particular, SAC Donovan condemned the over-reliance on Out-Of-Character ("OOC") means of communication to foster role play, as well as the inevitable conflicts of interests and OOC connections and disagreements that come with it.

"It really was an eye-opener," said SAC Donovan. "The introduction of Discord within the role play community has drastically altered the balance towards a more pre-planned, scripted type of roleplay, even more than previous methods such as TeamSpeak3 ever did. Free-flowing, natural interactions that develop into full-fledged, long-term connections are hard to come by, as I have unfortunately experienced during the operation. To add on to that, communities where the use of Discord is prevalent seem to experience the bandwagon effect to a high extent and this in turn creates episodes of groupthink, collective narcissism and false consensus effect, especially within large factions and even more so within the so-called 'elite units' of said factions. This might represent the biggest challenge the Bureau has ever undertaken."

Another area where the FBQRP encountered several issues was a dependence on scripts and their ramifications for day-to-day role play, which often led players to react without taking into account other factors that are, in fact, pivotal to the scenario at hand. In one such case, the operation was almost completely derailed by a law enforcement agency whose members detained SAC Donovan and the confidential informant.

"It was a problematic encounter," commented SAC Donovan. "The officers kept insisting that since the agency we were portraying was not 'in [their] Mobile Data Computer (MDC)', they had to arrest us for impersonation. In an attempt to save the operation and avoid revealing I was an undercover federal agent, I contacted a local administrator to negotiate our release on the basis that what we were portraying was not any different from local law enforcement agencies integrating some non-existing divisions and units within their lore to enhance the general role play. Thankfully, my point was seen as valid and the operation could resume immediately."

"I have been informed that since our encounter, the local administrator who saved the entire operation (codename @mj2002) has been removed from her position for alleged violations not related to role play quality in an event that seems to be connected to the over-reliance on OOC communication methods I mentioned earlier. I would like to present her with my utmost and sincere gratitude and remind her that the position does not make the man, or, in this case, the woman, especially given that similar behavior was shown by some of her colleagues in the past and even in the present. Given her kind and fair disposition towards the confidential informant and me in the course of the operation, I will suggest her name for the 2021 FBQRP Director’s Community Leadership Award."

Despite some areas needing improvement, however, SAC Donovan said the operation was a partial success. "Many individuals took my portrayal of Water Resources Inspector Pagliacci seriously and acted accordingly, and the same can be said for the confidential informant who helped me during Operation Clown Town. It was refreshing to see that most players were interested in a kind of law enforcement role play different from the usual, and it was good to see them so open to cooperate with us. Unfortunately, however, the issues presented above seriously affected the quality of roleplay we were able to provide to the population at large, and this was particularly true for organized factions."

“Low quality portrayals and over-reliance on Out-Of-Character tools cannot stop the government's efforts to raise the overall level of roleplay," SAC Donovan concluded. "The FBQRP remains steadfast in its commitment to maintain the highest level of quality role play throughout its jurisdiction.”

Component(s): 
USAO - San Andreas, South

William J. Donovan
Special Agent in Charge
Realism Enforcement Branch
Federal Bureau of Quality Role Play — Los Santos Office

(555) 723-2224

Press Release Number: 
21-088

very good.... very good.