[GUIDE] Game Crashing on "Finishing Handshake"

So your game suddenly started crashing consistently while your client is Finishing Handshake with the server, you restarted the game a few times but it still happens and all running tasks related to RageMP or the game suddenly close.

Whether it's your first time joining or if you've played before and it suddenly started happening, this guide should fix that for you. Keep in mind that with each attempt we make, you should run RageMP as administrator.

1. Redownloading GTAW resources and connecting to the server

We'll first make sure that there's no issue with the server resources. First, open the client_resources folder in RageMP and head into GTAW resources folder, if you don't know which one it is, it is the folder named "cb242ee11d52ccd84309050503ab5242". Once you're there, delete any 2 random files in the folder and reconnect to the server. If that works, then perfect.

If it doesn't work, then delete the entire GTAW resources folder, but not the client_resources folder.

Having deleted GTAW resources, head into this link and download the resources from there and extract them into the folder.
When it's done extracting, connect to GTAW through the server list and it should work.

Now I have seen a small percentage of people who still had their game crash on "Finishing Handshake" even after doing this. If you're one of those people, continue with the next 3 steps.

2. Uninstalling RageMP entirely

First of all, we'll uninstall RageMP. Do that by running uninstall.exe in its folder or through the Control Panel. After that, delete RageMP's folder entirely.
Having done that, we'll head into the registry editor. Open your Windows search bar, and type regedit, then browse your way to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ RAGE-MP

And delete the RAGE-MP registry (the "folder" itself, not any individual keys), then give your computer a reboot.

3. Reinstalling RageMP

Now that we have banished RageMP, we need to reinstall it. Otherwise we won't to be able to... play in the server, yeah.
The location is crucial in this part.

Does your computer have more than one disk? If so, we'll install RageMP on the same disk that has GTAV on it, and on the same drive as GTAV incase that disk is allocated into more than one drive. Don't install it in GTAV's own folder however.

On the other hand, if your computer has only one disk then we'll simply install RageMP on the C drive, inside its own folder in the Programs x86 folder.

4. Redownloading GTAW resources again, and connecting to the server

Our new RageMP folder doesn't come with a client_resources folder. However, avoid making it yourself. Open up your RageMP client and connect once to GTAW through the server list, then close it when a client_resources folder is created.

Then open the client_resources folder and delete whatever resides in it, and go to this link and download the resources from there and extract them into the folder.
When it's done, connect to the server through the server list of RageMP, it will download the rest of the resources and you should have no issues anymore.

If you got any questions or queries about this guide, feel free to PM me on forum or on discord.

Have fun!

Edited by Jaxium
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 12:41 PM, Bruno Franco said:

After the loading rage multiplayer and it goes to loading server resources just minimize the tab or I mean like press the little dash and sit on the desktop for like 2 minutes once you open the game again you'll be on the login screen 🙂

Does this really work? Whenever i want to play I have to verify integrity from steam and then open ragemp and connect otherwise it will just keep crashing..! 

12 hours ago, Joey said:

Does this really work? Whenever i want to play I have to verify integrity from steam and then open ragemp and connect otherwise it will just keep crashing..! 

What you can do is, first of all make sure your client_resources folder is clean and you don't actually have faulty files (you can do this by letting the server re-download them). Then you can start singleplayer, story mode. After you're in it successfully, quit and open Rage. Usually this handshake crash happens when your game kinda fails to recognize you as the legitimate owner, so attempting twice helps most of the times. If you did that and you're still crashing, the problem is with the files themselves!

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, $hadow said:

What you can do is, first of all make sure your client_resources folder is clean and you don't actually have faulty files (you can do this by letting the server re-download them). Then you can start singleplayer, story mode. After you're in it successfully, quit and open Rage. Usually this handshake crash happens when your game kinda fails to recognize you as the legitimate owner, so attempting twice helps most of the times. If you did that and you're still crashing, the problem is with the files themselves!

Alright I'll try that