What is the deal with property trading?

Slamdance

7 minutes ago, Protheus said:

It's better than the alternative when what you're saying about being rich is simply not true. Sure, anyone can become rich by doing the right script jobs or roleplaying the right places, but that still leaves the rest with bread crumbs in comparison just for not roleplaying the "right" things.

[...]

I do not know the answer, or I would be in Suggestions and shout my idea from the rooftops, but simply opening the market to the richest bidder wouldn't really improve much.

You're talking about fixing the entire economy there. I've already outlined how we can take steps to fix the game's economy. The short version is that we'd have to shift how we perceive the economy - zoom out to cash flow rather than absolute cash. Buying a beer would be free, but a house, car, etc would drop your cash flow.

In the short term though? I prefer some people buying houses over nobody buying houses.

33 minutes ago, Protheus said:

Sure, anyone can become rich by doing the right script jobs or roleplaying the right places, but that still leaves the rest with bread crumbs in comparison just for not roleplaying the "right" things.

To be fair, having a rich character unless you RP fully illegal and never make it past a street-level thug, or a character that just socializes and has no real occupation is not a matter of "if", but a matter of "when" if you RP any form of employment or become influential in crime. 

All the assets you amass are essentially you reinvesting your money into something else because everything can be resold. Taxes are laughable unless you have stupid amounts of money and even cars just have you lose minimal amounts of money (usually what you put in customisation) because people try to resell them for dealership prices.

Namechanges also ensure that pretty much the majority of a character's money stays for long unless you blow it on items for RP, and not a lot of people are out there blowing their money on a ton of cocaine or the entire Hawaiian Snow catalogue.

GTAW economy as it currently stands:

- They managed to turn LS onto Venezuela somehow.
- PM discredited money by adding a price cap limit so people started to trade goods in-order to avoid the cap limit that PM set.

- New characters still, until this very day, get 200k for some reason that nobody can really explain at all.

- The average citizen in LS owns multiple luxurious items including high end vehicles.

- 90% of LS businesses have a luxurious atmosphere and is targeting the rich characters cause why not, everyone got cash.

And once again, people who could implement a real change, still until this very day, think that the 200k starter cash is still good for the economy and it should still continue to exist, It was okay to have when the server was relatively new as the economy had to be revived, but as it currently stands, people are holding onto their businesses, I mean, take a look at the properties ads in forum section, whoever is asking for a business is met with an empty response, no business is worth selling for whatever price.

Edited by wickjeffe

You can’t leave properties unregulated. If you haven’t actually been apart of a server to see what happens when they are left uncapped, you truly don’t understand. Houses will be in the millions and suddenly that 200K doesn’t seem so large of a starting fund. This only encourages more grinding and money becomes even more useless. Imagine someone just starting out on the server and a basic house costs 1.5 million or more. This would just be plain stupid. I’ve seen it fail horribly on more than one server. It doesn’t work. This is not the solution. There must be another way. Back to the drawing board. 

Edited by Numelo
13 minutes ago, Numelo said:

You can’t leave properties unregulated. If you haven’t actually been apart of a server to see what happens when they are left uncapped, you truly don’t understand. Houses will be in the millions and suddenly that 200K doesn’t seem so large of a starting fund. This only encourages more grinding and money becomes even more useless. Imagine someone just starting out on the server and a basic house costs 1.5 million or more. This would just be plain stupid. I’ve seen it fail horribly on more than one server. It doesn’t work. This is not the solution. There must be another way. Back to the drawing board. 

This doesn't justify anything, I was around during that period, yes people would actually flip houses for a lot of profit, but at the same time, the market was alive, people were actually willing to sell properties and money still held it's value back then, yes, this issue had to be addressed eventually, speaking of the flipping issue, but tackling it this way is obviously not the way you would want to go with, and looking at how PM actually handled that, it's completely messed up, they put in a solution and never actually cared to follow-up on the results.

The sole reason of why a lot of players dared to ask for high prices is once again, because of the starter cash, 200k for every single character that exists, you are pumping possibly more than 2 millions onto the economy every 24 hours, people had a lot of cash that they didn't know where to spend.

4 minutes ago, wickjeffe said:

This doesn't justify anything, I was around during that period, yes people would actually flip houses for a lot of profit, but at the same time, the market was alive, people were actually willing to sell properties and money still held it's value back then, yes, this issue had to be addressed eventually, speaking of the flipping issue, but tackling it this way is obviously not the way you would want to go with, and looking at how PM actually handled that, it's completely messed up, they put in a solution and never actually cared to follow-up on the results.

The sole reason of why a lot of players dared to ask for high prices is once again, because of the starter cash, 200k for every single character that exists, you are pumping possibly more than 2 millions onto the economy every 24 hours, people had a lot of cash that they didn't know where to spend.

It justifies everything. One of the servers got so out of hand they were forced to put price controls on properties. New players get the shaft and can never afford a house unless they spend 8 hours a day grinding. People have lives. I don’t want to have to play for over a year before I can afford a house that now costs 2 million dollars when it has no business costing that much. It’s bad economics. 

The whole point is so people don’t have to play this like a second job to afford these things. We’re never going to agree on this. Uncapped prices only work if you’ve been on the server a while and actually have money. It hurts ANY new players coming in and basically opens the door for grinding rather than role play. It doesn’t work. Sorry.

Edited by Numelo
1 minute ago, Numelo said:

It justifies everything. One of the servers got so out of hand they were forced to put price controls on properties. New players get the shaft and can never afford a house unless they spend 8 hours a day grinding. People have lives. I don’t want to have to play for over a year before I can afford a house. The whole point is so people don’t have to play this like a second job to afford these things. We’re never going to agree on this. Uncapped prices only work if you’ve been on the server a while and actually have money. It hurts ANY new players coming in and basically opens the door for grinding rather than role play. It doesn’t work. Sorry.

I would like to meet those who can never afford a house, the server is filled over the top with people who are driving a Ferrari equivalent vehicles, and obviously as I have stated, people only dared to ask for such high ridiculous prices is because the server is pumping a lot of cash on daily basis because of what is called starter cash, remove that, drain the economy a little bit, reverse the price limit cap, then we can actually decide on that.

And oh by the way, I'd rather see a property/business being sold for 1.5M rather than not see it being sold at all.

• Wuhtah locked this topic