What is the deal with property trading?

Slamdance

1 minute ago, Melnik said:

"worth" is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it, not what you imagine a house in Davis should cost.

When you compare yes, I don't want to see a hood house go for higher price than Mirror Park, does not make any sense. Even in real life.

47 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Either stop complaining about people wanting a guarantee to still own a house, therefore they trade. Or open the economy and let people sell their houses for what they're actually worth.

...or just keep fine tuning the tax system until the people holding the housing market hostage ultimately succumb.

Let's put it this way, you and others are trying to get the property sale value cap removed, by holding on to houses in order to keep them profitable. This trend has been going on for over a year. What are you getting? A new tax.

Renting out is as easy as simply making houses no longer rentable properties, as that's better suited for apartments anyway, and a minimum activity time per character would be wildly easy to implement, further making owning multiple houses too time-consuming to be worth it.

If you want to keep holding the housing market hostage, go ahead, but the current answer is just to keep squeezing until you relent and sell for roleplay instead of script profit.

33 minutes ago, Melnik said:

"worth" is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it, not what you imagine a house in Davis should cost.

But, nobody would realistically pay a million dollars on a small 1-bedroom apartment in the projects... Hence, realism is important.

26 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

...or just keep fine tuning the tax system until the people holding the housing market hostage ultimately succumb.

This is akin to burning down a whole apartment block to smoke out a petty thief in it. 

The people who are holding the housing market hostage have many many millions due to all of their hoarding, you are going to choke every single roleplayer that owns a home until the literal 1% caves in.

Property hoarding should be dealt with an iron fist. Start going down house by house, see which character owns them, what they have done with the place, how active they are and if their character is up to snuff. If they're not? Expropriate it and make the house leasable. I know this'll put another strain on PM and God bless them they really don't need another one, but this can be done over months IMO.

• Applaud 1
39 minutes ago, Pádraig said:

This is akin to burning down a whole apartment block to smoke out a petty thief in it. 

The people who are holding the housing market hostage have many many millions due to all of their hoarding, you are going to choke every single roleplayer that owns a home until the literal 1% caves in.

Property hoarding should be dealt with an iron fist. Start going down house by house, see which character owns them, what they have done with the place, how active they are and if their character is up to snuff. If they're not? Expropriate it and make the house leasable. I know this'll put another strain on PM and God bless them they really don't need another one, but this can be done over months IMO.

PM already does these checks, it's not enough to solve the problem.

54 minutes ago, Pádraig said:

Not necessarily. It is entirely possible to make the expense purely and exclusively detrimental to ONLY the people hoarding homes. If you have only one house on your account, that much is fine; the average activity of any player would sufficiently make the tax null, and no additional taxes would be levied against anyone responsible enough to own only a single house.

This would in essence, literally target only people who are hoarding houses for script gains. For everyone else that is willing to prioritize roleplay, there would be no difference from how it is now.

That's the miracle of coding. It's entirely possible to establish parameters that would fix this situation very fast and without drama.

...and before you say "But what about real estate agents?" - that is something that can be applied for and monitored.

16 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Not necessarily. It is entirely possible to make the expense purely and exclusively detrimental to ONLY the people hoarding homes. If you have only one house on your account, that much is fine; the average activity of any player would sufficiently make the tax null, and no additional taxes would be levied against anyone responsible enough to own only a single house.

This would in essence, literally target only people who are hoarding houses for script gains. For everyone else that is willing to prioritize roleplay, there would be no difference from how it is now.

That's the miracle of coding. It's entirely possible to establish parameters that would fix this situation very fast and without drama.

...and before you say "But what about real estate agents?" - that is something that can be applied for and monitored.

My only worry is it's a temporary solution to a permanent supply issue. It might kick some people out of their houses at first but they'll be replaced by people who can afford the extra amount and won't mind the extra costs because supply's still so low. I could see it working for a generation or two of owners before they're re-enveloped into someone with the cash to cover the extra cost. At the end of the day there just aren't enough houses and as much as I wish I could provide an end-all solution I honestly have no idea

11 minutes ago, Sush said:

My only worry is it's a temporary solution to a permanent supply issue. It might kick some people out of their houses at first but they'll be replaced by people who can afford the extra amount and won't mind the extra costs because supply's still so low. I could see it working for a generation or two of owners before they're re-enveloped into someone with the cash to cover the extra cost. At the end of the day there just aren't enough houses and as much as I wish I could provide an end-all solution I honestly have no idea

Normally I'd agree, but again, the tax would only apply for each additional house owned beyond the first, meaning the only people who can really afford to participate, will be the people willing to have only one house.

Applying the tax, more specifically a tax that only adjusts upward and only for people who have more than one house, means that they'll only be able to hold on to a second house for a little bit before their bank account empties, and they can't just park their alts in houses, because that means grinding eight to twelve hours of roleplay a week per character, which stacks up to a LOT of time to avoid the tax via roleplay timer.

Forget about owning a third house. I don't even think that's possible even now?

This would massively push interest towards apartments, where we can have a nigh I finite supply. Want a place for your inactive alt to live? Get an apartment, easy peasy. Settle for having a house only on your main, or help the economy by letting the taxes drain your savings while you temporarily enjoy a second house for vacationing or something.

That second house needs to be a bank-busting tax for sure, which will not only fix the housing crisis without impacting people focused on roleplay, it'll also help drain a lot of that excess cash floating in the economy too.

• 2 months later...
  • Wuhtah locked this topic