What is the deal with property trading?

Slamdance

Just now, DLimit said:

I'd rather just report them... a lot easier than having to make a complicated system that'll only add more labour for staff members on this server.

These wealthy people don't need a $200,000 paycheque to become millionaires... they'll find ways to earn it.

The new players and serious roleplayers? They need those cheques to start the foundation of their characters, whether it may be to purchase a vehicle or to invest in an apartment.

Weed out the poor quality roleplayers by reporting them. VERY easy to do.

I agree to an extent, but I still believe the issues need to be solved by A. Removing majority of requests and introducting all vehicles to the server and then locking them behind realistic prices and high insurance premiums. Forcing people to get actual jobs instead of the casual 700$ runs the world w. insurance and maintence even for some of the high end cars. or B. Lock everything behind another gated wall cause people are too unreasonable to deal with it themselves.

4 minutes ago, Mahiko said:

I agree to an extent, but I still believe the issues need to be solved by A. Removing majority of requests and introducting all vehicles to the server and then locking them behind realistic prices and high insurance premiums. Forcing people to get actual jobs instead of the casual 700$ runs the world w. insurance and maintence even for some of the high end cars. or B. Lock everything behind another gated wall cause people are too unreasonable to deal with it themselves.

I think that the insurance prices on these expensive vehicles should be much higher, alongside with a higher "Wealth Tax". My one millionaire character loses only a couple hundred dollars an hour... should be much higher.

Taxation's the real solution.

EDIT: Maybe, petition for the government to increase taxes?

Edited by DLimit
1 minute ago, DLimit said:

I think that the insurance prices on these expensive vehicles should be much higher, alongside with a higher "Wealth Tax". My one millionaire character loses only a couple hundred dollars an hour... should be much higher.

But again, this isn't a socalist dream. Taxation shouldn't be the need. Cost of living should be implemented as the 'tax' if you live in a wealthy area, consider a home owners association fee w. maintence for your building ect ect. I live in Denmark, and sometimes this server feels like it wants to turn into Denmark with the amount of taxation on everything. We just need to raise actual realistic costs of living instead of just hiding everything under a tax umbrella cause that forces characters to spend more money on the government which not everyone is interested in.

1 minute ago, Mahiko said:

But again, this isn't a socalist dream. Taxation shouldn't be the need. Cost of living should be implemented as the 'tax' if you live in a wealthy area, consider a home owners association fee w. maintence for your building ect ect. I live in Denmark, and sometimes this server feels like it wants to turn into Denmark with the amount of taxation on everything. We just need to raise actual realistic costs of living instead of just hiding everything under a tax umbrella cause that forces characters to spend more money on the government which not everyone is interested in.

I'd support an increase in cost of living, as-well. Let's start with having people lose money over medical bills.

Just now, DLimit said:

I'd support an increase in cost of living, as-well. Let's start with having people lose money over medical bills.

I agree with this, force insurance onto your character. The US is heavily insurance based, allowing for certain things to be covered. Have jobs offer to pay insurance for you ect ect. We have so many options to create money sinks that don't just rely on taxes. A better health insurance? Could mean you could roleplay recovering faster? Shitty one? Looks like you didn't get the pain meds included, can you afford them? No? Tough luck.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, DLimit said:

While in theory this might work, we need to fiddle with the concept in practice to produce results.

Heavy taxation alone will ensure only the people who grind out script cash have access to these things. This already hurts business quality and turns the profit motive against where we ideally want players focused (why would you take a risk if a bar works as well as anything will?) At that rate, the only people left on the server will be the people who grind.

The way I see it, the solution is switching from assessing liquid assets to assessing cash flow in determining whether someone can purchase a property or not instead of hard cash (<1% of buyers purchase a house outright with cash in real life, I guarantee you this.) So instead of putting $200,000 up front for the house, it will work like the old rental system did - costing $500 per paycheck. "Selling" that house will earn you nothing but that cash flow back; couple that with more storage units and the like on the server, and you'll see housing get back to normal in short order.

Best of all? This is how a mortgage works anyways,

In this way, we effectively provide incentives to get rid of housing you're not using in the form of:

• No appreciable return on real estate investment.
  • An alternative, cheaper item storage in the form of storage units.
  • A siphon on passive cash flow.

Introduce the storage units, then give people a month of notice before the update goes live. I guarantee the housing market will start moving again.

Edited by Smilesville

Best solution to the hyperinflation issue would been to have the 5k x 40 paychecks account bound so you'd have to choose which char you wanted them on / spread them out on. Then there'd be no more freebies no matter if you created a fresh character or not. But it's past the point of turning back now LOL.

Adding 9999999 different taxes would also have its pros and cons. But it'd definitely bite the normal people whom only have a few hours a day to play in the butt compared to the people who can put in 10 +/- hours.

• Thanks 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic