What is the deal with property trading?

Slamdance

Just now, wickjeffe said:

I would like to meet those who can never afford a house, the server is filled over the top with people who are driving a Ferrari equivalent vehicles, and obviously as I have stated, people only dared to ask for such high ridiculous prices is because the server is pumping a lot of cash on daily basis because of what is called starter cash, remove that, drain the economy a little bit, reverse the price limit cap, then we can actually decide on that.

And oh by the way, I'd rather see a property/business being sold for 1.5M rather than not see it being sold at all.

Agree to disagree 👍

• Upvote 1

Wanting to bring things back on topic for a minute—

The absolutely scuffed state of housing availability and cost has done more harm than good, where many people on the server are occupying houses that they haven’t set foot into whatsoever for the past six months.

Does this happen in the real world? Absolutely; rich people do it all the time.

Does that mean we should let it happen on a server where there aren’t many properties that exist? Absolutely not.

The solution as far as I’m concerned can go one of two ways:

(1) - More apartment complexes are added to the server to keep up with the increased demand, not to mention an increase in motel/hotel rooms that can be rented. This is a short term solution.

(2) - Restrictions on non-business property ownership are put in place, meaning that players can only have one house to ensure that enough properties are available (with exception for any they are renting out to others). This is a long term solution.

• Applaud 1

The bigger issue, in my opinion, is that EVERY ONE wants a house. Most citizens in the U.S. live in apartments and condos, not houses. The apartment property market isn't an issue, what-so-ever, and people should be grateful that we all can finally afford an apartment when it's needed.

1 hour ago, DLimit said:

The bigger issue, in my opinion, is that EVERY ONE wants a house. Most citizens in the U.S. live in apartments and condos, not houses. The apartment property market isn't an issue, what-so-ever, and people should be grateful that we all can finally afford an apartment when it's needed.

Actually, 70% of people in the US live in houses and only 17% live in an apartment or condo. Even places like New York max out at around 25% with regards to apartment residence. Given the limited server resources, we could be forgiven for sequestering most of the population into apartments - but even accounting for that, we still have issues with limited properties.

There are 6,101 properties in total right now, if the UCP is to be believed. I'm willing to bet the number of unique characters logging on per week exceeds that number before we even take into account the vast preference for housing over apartments that translates into real life as well.

We have a number of houses sitting unscripted or owned by the Property account for no discernible reason, too, but even if we fixed that? The problem remains.

Just as an FYI, the limit is not removed on trading properties and still fully applies. If you find people trading properties above the value (trading a house worth 400k max value for a house worth 500k max value), that is still reportable and punishable.

7 minutes ago, effion said:

Just as an FYI, the limit is not removed on trading properties and still fully applies. If you find people trading properties above the value (trading a house worth 400k max value for a house worth 500k max value), that is still reportable and punishable.

This doesnt make sense if you're trading something with the same market price, but different value. For example max value of apartment is 500k (100K MP and 200k furn) and max value of another apartment is 350k (100k MP and 50k furn), this doesnt mean that apartments are worth that much though, its just a limit. Maybe apartment for 350k is worth and the one for 500k is not worth that much, or the location is not the best and so on. 

6 minutes ago, Beatrix said:

This doesnt make sense if you're trading something with the same market price, but different value. For example max value of apartment is 500k (100K MP and 200k furn) and max value of another apartment is 350k (100k MP and 50k furn), this doesnt mean that apartments are worth that much though, its just a limit. Maybe apartment for 350k is worth and the one for 500k is not worth that much, or the location is not the best and so on. 

The price is set by the seller and agreed on by the buyer, if you're buying the apartment for a higher amount - then that's your own fault.
Cash can be added on top of transactions to compensate for price. I'll write down an example later to explain what I mean.

Remove the restrictions on houses in Richman/Vinewood Hills and make all houses available on the free market. Then introduce property districts with adjusted rules and varying tax amounts (Richman house can only sell for 1.5xmp with higher taxes, Davis house can sell for 4xmp with lower taxes).

11 minutes ago, effion said:

The price is set by the seller and agreed on by the buyer, if you're buying the apartment for a higher amount - then that's your own fault.
Cash can be added on top of transactions to compensate for price. I'll write down an example later to explain what I mean.

I understand that, just saying that having max price on 500k doesn't mean it's worth 500k, while another property is worth that much.

• Wuhtah locked this topic