Park Rangers & You

Pillsbury

LSLzp75.png?1

Hi folks,

Seems just about right to make one of these. While some people take these topics as memes, I think it's good to have the community, the one's we are interacting with the most, be able to openly discuss the San Andreas Park Rangers, leave feedback, criticism and for us overall, to be able to adjust and become better for the community. For those that don't know, I am Pillsbury, while being a Manager here in the community, I have also been appointed recently as the Director of the Department of Fish and Wildlife, which in RP terms, oversees the San Andreas Park Rangers. The exact faction we are here to talk about today. 

The San Andreas Park Rangers were just recently established by Legal Faction Management in the early days of April, 2021, meaning, we have just reached our second month as an official faction supported by GTA World. The point of the San Andreas Park Rangers is to enforce and regulate the San Andreas Hunting & Animal Protection Act, however, like our real-life counterpart, the California State Parks Peace Officers - we are sworn Law Enforcement, so that we can uphold these acts, and in the middle of our daily routines, conduct Law Enforcement activates to keep crime away from the Parks. Originally the faction was opened by Bjork and Canadian, however, in early May, both of them stepped away in which I was appointed leadership. Canadian and Bjork built this Department to be the 'backbone' of Law Enforcement, not a primary force like the Los Santos Police Department the Sheriffs Department. 

A lot of our work that we do, is about the passive RP that comes behind it. Most of us who have joined the Park Rangers, are former members of the LSPD/LSSD - in which they wanted to take the step back constant pursuits, shots fired, and other various of calls that might become repeat behavior for an average faction member of the PD/SD. Like the State Fire Marshals, we have a specialty and one we like to continue to strive for - and that is, to keep the Parks Safe, bring RP to the Parks, and have an enjoyable time within the faction, and bring that enjoyable and fun experience to the community around us. 

Now-- some might ask, what is the big difference between PD, SD, and SAPR? Well, as I said - we have a general and main focus, unlike the PD/SD who have a variety of duties that come with, just being a "beat cop" as some would call it. We are not the type that are going to respond to the Domestic Disturbance in Davis, or the Assault in Mirror Park. Our jobs are to focus inside the State Parks, and the relevant Commercial Fishing areas that we have been elected to enforce. Statistically speaking, we are not here for making arrests or general enforcement of the penal code. State Park Rangers while yes, might have arrested you before, will be a way rarer of an occurrence of enforcement of the generalized penal code, then both of our primary police agencies. 

At the moment, our Command and Leadership strategy is to continue to show a passive roleplay presence in the State Parks and the generalized areas that we might be seen. We have a variety of divisions that have special appointments, like the Marine Unit, Animal Control Unit, In-Service Training - and on top of that, we have made a fully in-game police academy, that tests the abilities of faction members under stressful situations, and gives them an idea of policing in this server. We know our faction is a slow and boring one - so we are built off the presence of passive RP and creating an environment that you would be happy working in. It takes a special person to drive around in circles in Paleto Forest and not see a single soul for an hour, but yet, they stop on the side of the road to create constant RP for those they encounter, and for themselves. It's one of the reasons we brought an actual police academy in-game again, rather than testing only on the knowledge of learning through educational platforms, like the forums or a manual, due to the presence our Rangers will have to make. And rather them having a fulfilled Field Training Program of traffic stops, pursuits, shots fired calls, and constant calls of service - they are built from the ground up. 

However, the purpose of this topic is to get feedback from the community, and to see how you the community members, are feeling about us. How can we improve? Have you had a good interaction with a faction member? A bad one? We are looking for the community point of view on the faction. The one thing that I ask, is please don't troll the thread, we are looking for serious feedback and constructive criticism - we already know we are Super Rangers and Power Rangers, and fake mall cops, thank you.

I appreciate all of you have given me the chance to read this, and we look forward for the community feedback.

sapr.gta.world
https://discord.gg/7rFKCRUfK3

• Upvote 11
  • Applaud 5

Over a few different characters and one in particular my interaction with the SAPR has been nothing but full of quality in many factors and area. It's niche, but I am in belief it is a niche to be filled and a presence to be acknowledged. While LSPD and LSSD are spread out all over San Andreas island, there is no real focus in the 'back water' areas i.e parks and forest. With the introduction of the wild life and hunting, this gives the department an even more reason to exist where they can focus on this 'niche' aspects whereas; Other departments aren't able to mobilize to, or thereof 'lacking interest' persay. 

One thing I'd like to see is that the department itself doesn't become on a level of unaccountability where you don't know who the next John Doe is besides you serving as a sworn law enforcement officer. 

One of the greatest things I've experienced was the academy itself, right now a character feels like they're part of more than just a 'department' but like it's a home away from home.

• Upvote 2

I think this was a great idea and a very welcoming addition to the server. I appreciate the people who are willing to sacrifice their time to offer immersion to others. Even if not by interaction but just sheer presence. 

• Upvote 3

Coming here from RCRP and adjusting to GTAW's LEO side of things has been a challenge but the guys in the SAPR have helped me with a lot already, always friendly and honestly the faction is like a big family. I'm super excited for what's to come, haven't had this much fun with RP in a long time, SAPR has revived my motivation all together.

Plus, I love the unpredictability, it's always fun to have that little hit of adrenaline when something happens, it keeps you on your toes. I much prefer small, quiet patrols with random and unpredictable bits of action scattered about over constant action and such. Not to mention the wilderness scenery of GTA5 is underrated, I'll never get bored of cruising around the trails just enjoying the views.

All in all, this faction is bloody amazing and I'm extremely stoked to see where it takes us.

Edited by PeopleKind
  • Upvote 2

i have yet to have a single negative experience with the rangers and our factions are fairly close which is rare given that one is an LEO faction and the other is an illegal - I have nothing but praise for every single roleplayer in the SAPR and I can say you've all genuinely been a pleasure to roleplay with. 

• Upvote 1

I'm currently a member of the Sheriff's Department, and I must say I've had nothing but great interactions with every single Park Ranger I've met so far. The role-play has been simply amazing and as someone who mostly patrols the country side, I look forward to meeting them every single time there's an opportunity to do so. Keep doing what you guys are doing, you're awesome.

• Upvote 2

My encounters with the Rangers were mixed, not bad, but mixed. Main issue was not the Ranger, but the law and the way it is written, which is a bit unrealistic to the location and area along with a few things that do exist irl in California the laws of which we mimic.

I.E.

150feet away from vehicles/residences/structures to shoot your rifle. Lets be honest, the wilderness is rather small and realistically, if you'd shoot a deer/hog down and go to get your truck, by the time you're back there's a high chance predators (Coyotes) will be munching away on the kill, as realistically a deer/hog are too heavy to drag.

must be 21 of age to hunt even though an 18 year old can obtain a PF & a hunting rifle by law.

A person who is not 21 can not hunt with a guardian who is 21 or older.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Cruor said:

I'm currently a member of the Sheriff's Department, and I must say I've had nothing but great interactions with every single Park Ranger I've met so far. The role-play has been simply amazing and as someone who mostly patrols the country side, I look forward to meeting them every single time there's an opportunity to do so. Keep doing what you guys are doing, you're awesome.

1 hour ago, Martyn said:

I think this was a great idea and a very welcoming addition to the server. I appreciate the people who are willing to sacrifice their time to offer immersion to others. Even if not by interaction but just sheer presence. 

27 minutes ago, celestialrage said:

i have yet to have a single negative experience with the rangers and our factions are fairly close which is rare given that one is an LEO faction and the other is an illegal - I have nothing but praise for every single roleplayer in the SAPR and I can say you've all genuinely been a pleasure to roleplay with. 

Thank you all for the feedback. We look to keeping up the community experience. We appreciate it a ton, it's good to know we have been making a good impact out in the Parks and to our fellow LEO's. 

Just now, Vash Baldeus said:

My encounters with the Rangers were mixed, not bad, but mixed. Main issue was not the Ranger, but the law and the way it is written, which is a bit unrealistic to the location and area along with a few things that do exist irl in California the laws of which we mimic.

I.E.

150feet away from vehicles/residences/structures to shoot your rifle. Lets be honest, the wilderness is rather small and realistically, if you'd shoot a deer/hog down and go to get your truck, by the time you're back there's a high chance predators (Coyotes) will be munching away on the kill, as realistically a deer/hog are too heavy to drag.

must be 21 of age to hunt even though an 18 year old can obtain a PF & a hunting rifle by law.

A person who is not 21 can not hunt with a guardian who is 21 or older.

Were looking to advocate for some changes in the Hunting Act - however we do not have control over it, but merely can add suggestions to it. Being the Director of the Department of Fish and Wildlife, being a spot in the 'Governors Cabinet' per say - I can always bring up possibility of changes, and have it go through the Senate.

The reason it's restricted to 21, is because having a Hunting License does not allow you to buy a firearm from a store in-game, you need a PF - which is 21 for the server. That has been something that's been in the community as a restriction for quite a long time. At the moment SAPR does not regulate Hunting Licenses, so you can go and buy one with $10,000 at the licensing center, and bam, now you would have access to a rifle. 

SAPR is probably the only LEO faction that I do not have to worry about what the others will judge about me on OOC basis. Everyone is friendly, every member welcomed us (Cadets, some are new to GTAW) to the faction with open arms and so many more.

In addition, I am deaf which is probably known to some and, this faction, its members and leadership did their best to cater to me to a degree, especially during the academy and the whole no-mic permission thing.

I am happy to be part of an LEO faction that created a friendly and welcoming environment and that everyone is here to have fun and provide quality passive LEO RP. The leadership is active and will quickly respond to your concerns.

I had nothing but enjoyable times with the faction since day 1. I hope the faction will go far. 🙂

• Upvote 3
  • Wuhtah locked this topic