Appealing Admin Records?

I think there should be some appeals. I have exactly one A jail on my record and it was given to me by someone who at the time was a trial admin and I don't believe it was handled fairly. In fact it was one of the largest reasons I quit outright about a year ago because it left me with such a bad taste in my mouth. 

To put it shortly, I got an A-Jail for at the time according to this admin, lying about a forum report and getting shitty with the other people in the thread. I could handle the a-jail for getting shitty with the people in the thread. I have an issue with the lying though. I was asked to be a witness to an incident I was not apart of but saw. I guess because I had no RP in the logs because I wasn't technically apart of the incident and because I was only like a week or two old at the time and didn't think to screen shot other people's RP, the admin assumed I was lying to waste time. When I got A-Jailed for lying to staff I took that as a personal insult. Punish me for something I actually did, not something you think I did but have no real evidence of. 

It still bothers me anytime I have to submit my record for things like PF Licenses because I feel like lying to staff is one of the WORST things a player can do and I don't feel I earned that brand. I would be nice to not have to carry it around one day. 

Bruh, doesn't appealing already exist? If you'd give people the ability to appeal and remove their past punishments from their profiles at a later date what point is there to punishing at all? Plus, don't admins take past punishments into consideration, making the punishment process overall more efficient with them knowing who's a good record and who hasn't? 

Just now, HaminLord said:

Bruh, doesn't appealing already exist? If you'd give people the ability to appeal and remove their past punishments from their profiles at a later date what point is there to punishing at all? Plus, don't admins take past punishments into consideration, making the punishment process overall more efficient with them knowing who's a good record and who hasn't? 

"If you'd give people the ability to appeal and remove their past punishments from their profiles at a later date what point is there to punishing at all." Is terrible logic. 

The point of punishment is to correct undesirable behavior, not to brand someone for eternity. That said, I don't think there should be a set "after 1.5 years from this date this punishment will be expunged." I think it should have a few factors, like if a year passes and you don't get any more OOC action against you, then maybe it should be dropped, but if you step out of line even once and get another a-jail or whatever, I think it should reset them timers. 

4 minutes ago, TheSaintEaon said:

"If you'd give people the ability to appeal and remove their past punishments from their profiles at a later date what point is there to punishing at all." Is terrible logic. 

The point of punishment is to correct undesirable behavior, not to brand someone for eternity. That said, I don't think there should be a set "after 1.5 years from this date this punishment will be expunged." I think it should have a few factors, like if a year passes and you don't get any more OOC action against you, then maybe it should be dropped, but if you step out of line even once and get another a-jail or whatever, I think it should reset them timers. 

This.

7 minutes ago, TheSaintEaon said:

Or, it could be kept under your profile and you can simply explain to whoever it is you're showing your admin record to that it happened a long time ago and you learnt from your mistakes, etc etc. I'm sure that if you'll explain to someone what happened that caused you to get a punishment a year and a half ago he'd understand and wouldn't mind, but removing old punishments all together doesn't really make sense to me considering it basically erases actions you've done in the past, even if you've learnt and improved since

Just now, HaminLord said:

Or, it could be kept under your profile and you can simply explain to whoever it is you're showing your admin record to that it happened a long time ago and you learnt from your mistakes, etc etc. I'm sure that if you'll explain to someone what happened that caused you to get a punishment a year and a half ago he'd understand and wouldn't mind, but removing old punishments all together doesn't really make sense to me considering it basically erases actions you've done in the past, even if you've learnt and improved since

I think you're kinda making my point. If you can just explain that your only infraction was years ago and you've learned from it, and you've had no infractions sense, and your employer be fine with that, why did that employer need to see that infraction to begin with? If the argument is "If you really have learned, it won't matter what's on your record." then why keep the record? 

1 minute ago, TheSaintEaon said:

I think you're kinda making my point. If you can just explain that your only infraction was years ago and you've learned from it, and you've had no infractions sense, and your employer be fine with that, why did that employer need to see that infraction to begin with? If the argument is "If you really have learned, it won't matter what's on your record." then why keep the record? 

Because you've still done it? If it really doesn't matter, why do you want it removed from your profile so much? I don't see what's the big deal with letting people see shit you've done in the past, and for you to explain what happened and how you've improved since? 

1 minute ago, HaminLord said:

Because you've still done it? If it really doesn't matter, why do you want it removed from your profile so much? I don't see what's the big deal with letting people see shit you've done in the past, and for you to explain what happened and how you've improved since? 

"Because you've still done it?" Doesn't win the argument though. If you got a-jailed, then had zero infractions for a set period of time, you've done that too. You committed the crime, taken the punishment, and been rehabilitated as best as the system can muster. 

"It doesn't really matter" is your stance, not mine. I think it does matter. I think if someone joins a pretty hardcore RP server and in their first 2 weeks gets flagged for poor portrayal, learns from it, improves, and doesn't have the issue anymore a flag like that should be stricken from their record. 

If all it takes to make a record not matter is you taking time to explain that you've improved, then the record doesn't really matter, and if the record doesn't really matter there's no point in keeping it. The record only matters if the player repeatedly breaks rules and constantly wracks up A-Jails, and even then it should only really matter to Admins or things like PF Licenses where said player would get easy access to things that could be used to make other people's times significantly worse. For someone who one time had a bad day, got a-jailed, and never let it happen again, there's no point in keeping a record on them or have them present it. 

You're the only who wants to keep records forever though, I've justified my position to you, justify your position to me. If by your own words it shouldn't matter, then why should we keep those records? Bear in mind that "Because you did it" is not a particularly strong argument, as in the presupposed situation, you also didn't reoffend for a significant portion of time.

15 minutes ago, TheSaintEaon said:

"Because you've still done it?" Doesn't win the argument though. If you got a-jailed, then had zero infractions for a set period of time, you've done that too. You committed the crime, taken the punishment, and been rehabilitated as best as the system can muster. 

"It doesn't really matter" is your stance, not mine. I think it does matter. I think if someone joins a pretty hardcore RP server and in their first 2 weeks gets flagged for poor portrayal, learns from it, improves, and doesn't have the issue anymore a flag like that should be stricken from their record. 

If all it takes to make a record not matter is you taking time to explain that you've improved, then the record doesn't really matter, and if the record doesn't really matter there's no point in keeping it. The record only matters if the player repeatedly breaks rules and constantly wracks up A-Jails, and even then it should only really matter to Admins or things like PF Licenses where said player would get easy access to things that could be used to make other people's times significantly worse. For someone who one time had a bad day, got a-jailed, and never let it happen again, there's no point in keeping a record on them or have them present it. 

You're the only who wants to keep records forever though, I've justified my position to you, justify your position to me. If by your own words it shouldn't matter, then why should we keep those records? Bear in mind that "Because you did it" is not a particularly strong argument, as in the presupposed situation, you also didn't reoffend for a significant portion of time.

Bro I just said my opinion, I never tried arguing or anything lmao, I personally think they should permanently stay on your record, simple as that

• Wuhtah locked this topic