Jump to content

A discussion involving Rule 19.


Rhy Rhy

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Taina said:

Allowing an underage character to catcall another character is a loophole that encourages IC grooming?

 

The implication here is offensive.

 

There is a lot that is sick and disgraceful that is permitted on the server - because it's realistic. There are some things that should be banned without a second thought and, thankfully, those things already are but some of the things that many of you are trying to get banned (such as underage characters on the server and things like a catcalling teenager) don't necessarily point to inappropriate RP.

 

I'm not sure where across the globe many of you are, but there is nothing unrealistic about a catcalling teenager. If you are so triggered by the idea of a catcalling teenager in RL that you can't tolerate seeing it portrayed in RP, then indicate this on on OOC level with the other player - like you would anything else that makes you extremely uncomfortable ig.

 

As always, I am against the idea of banning anything that would allow players to realistically portray their characters simply because it makes some players uncomfortable.

The implication is not offensive and it does open the way to grooming. Most people do not verify the age of the other party they are roleplaying with. If the catcalling leads to anything more, the other party can be duped into participating in child exploitation if the other party is a child. Teenagers catcalling in itself is not unrealistic though.

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Midwest said:

The implication is not offensive and it does open the way to grooming. Most people do not verify the age of the other party they are roleplaying with. If the catcalling leads to anything more, the other party can be duped into participating in child exploitation if the other party is a child. Teenagers catcalling in itself is not unrealistic though.

So you're concerned about OOC grooming, which is not what I quoted from Alyssa's post.

 

If we're talking about OOC grooming, I share the same concerns.  Making it a rule that teenagers cannot engage in such things as catcalling, however, doesn't address this concern.  Banning underage players would address it.  Banning all types of sexual RP across the board (including even sexual talk) would address it.  The horrifying reality that underage players can be groomed IG by pedophiles isn't going to be addressed by making a rule against underage characters catcalling other characters.

 

And yes, the implication in her post is offensive. I'm capable of determining what's offensive to me and what isn't.

Edited by Taina
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Taina said:

So you're concerned about OOC grooming, which is not what I quoted from Alyssa's post.

 

If we're talking about OOC grooming, I share the same concerns.  Making it a rule that teenagers cannot engage in such things as catcalling, however, doesn't address this concern.  Banning underage players would address it.  Banning all types of sexual RP across the board (including even sexual talk) would address it.  The horrifying reality that underage players can be groomed IG by pedophiles isn't going to be addressed by making a rule against underage characters catcalling other characters.

This is why I am an ardent activist in GTAW's (and other roleplay servers) need to create staff dedicated to monitoring and enforcing such behaviors, similar to social media platforms and dating services. Especially when they're hosted out of an area that explicitly holds corporations responsible for the well-being of children and responsible for warding off exploitation under their supervision.

  • Applaud 1
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Zinneera said:

It's why she carries unconventional weaponry. 

 

And while plenty say it's not failRP, I have been reported for it. Just grumbling at them and walking off seems to just absolutely trigger gang rat RPers.

 

unconventional weaponry lmao

 

you'd look a lot smarter if you just said "yeah, walking around with a machete was pretty dumb in retrospect, and it probably shouldn't be done anymore." instead of trying to justify it over and over again lmao.

 

It's just....so bad. It's like...not even light-RP. What is this, a minecraft server? Jeez, what an awful decision lmao. It also sounds like you have a bit to figure out about PTSD and how it works, and how triggers work. Especially if you're gonna be talking about a character who went around shooting kids in the middle east or whatever (yeah ok LMAO. 90 percent of military personnel never fire their weapons at an enemy combatant, but this person is blowing up kids with IEDs.)

 

 

OT:

 

I think teens catcalling people older than them are okay. It happens all the time IRL. Most normal people just ignore them, or are momentarily flattered and walk off with a smirk or something if the teens are on the older side (16-18, around there). 

 

I think the bigger problem here isn't the rule, but just the community in general. There's a certain depth of maturity required to properly roleplay a minor, especially if they're involved in a gang or something like that. And apparently, that depth of maturity is just...not very abundant.

 

I wouldn't mind a ban on minor characters, I'd be indifferent to it, honestly.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment

Just let the kid RPers stick around, do whatever they want.

 

Not like they get anything beyond warnings or wrist-slaps. An illegal RPer being CK'd doesn't mean anything. They get CK'd daily. 

 

Not like they'll progress ICly, just let them make the kid, do dumb shit, die. Circle of Davis Life.

Link to comment

Just ban minor characters, easy. Cuz if you don't, there'll be people who'll behave like retards, ruining the underage aspects. Not to mention the systems that devs probably gotta implement like that damage modifier thing and what not.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Taina said:

So you're concerned about OOC grooming, which is not what I quoted from Alyssa's post.

 

If we're talking about OOC grooming, I share the same concerns.  Making it a rule that teenagers cannot engage in such things as catcalling, however, doesn't address this concern.  Banning underage players would address it.  Banning all types of sexual RP across the board (including even sexual talk) would address it.  The horrifying reality that underage players can be groomed IG by pedophiles isn't going to be addressed by making a rule against underage characters catcalling other characters.

 

And yes, the implication in her post is offensive. I'm capable of determining what's offensive to me and what isn't.

Just because you are offended, does not make you right, neither is creating a strawman.

 

Walking up to a grown woman / man and soliciting them for prostitution when you are an underage character is far from catcalling. When refused continuing to push more money at them, is not catcalling. Telling them directly that 'you want to fuck them', is not cat calling.

 

It's outright sexual harassment and is being used by a some underhand players to get away with the excuse 'I'm RPing a minor'.

I've never really been for forbidding minor's entirely, but this behavior needs to be nipped in the bud and players dealt with harshly.

 

The rules should explicitly forbid this kind of behavior.

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Just because you are offended, does not make you right, neither is creating a strawman.

 

Walking up to a grown woman / man and soliciting them for prostitution when you are an underage character is far from catcalling. When refused continuing to push more money at them, is not catcalling. Telling them directly that 'you want to fuck them', is not cat calling.

 

It's outright sexual harassment and is being used by a some underhand players to get away with the excuse 'I'm RPing a minor'.

I've never really been for forbidding minor's entirely, but this behavior needs to be nipped in the bud and players dealt with harshly.

 

The rules should explicitly forbid this kind of behavior.

I referenced catcalling because you specified catcalling in your post but I will be more clear - there are a lot of things that can be considered sexual harassment but it's ridiculous to demand that underage characters be banned from CERTAIN things like uttering the words "I wanna fuck you." or "Suck my dick!" or a plethora of other phrases that RL teenagers blurt out on a daily basis just because some players are uncomfortable.

 

Let's make a list of all the things we're offended by as a community and ban them all - nothing would be left of this server.

 

And let me be clear about one more thing - do not come at me again. You've already implied that I have poor morals and now you're accusing me of creating a strawman here. I've always been open to discussing things on this forum but I treat others with respect and I expect the same.

Edited by Taina
clarity
Link to comment
  • Storm locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
  • Create New...