A discussion involving Rule 19.

Rhy Rhy

10 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

You're absolutely right, of course. I simply believe there needs to be a higher standard when playing out particular concepts - be it because of sensitivity issues, potential for abuse, et cetera - the "serial killer" comes to mind.

I would very much like to see people RPing someone under 18 to be held to higher standards if they are to remain on the server.

I agree with this - but I think it should extend to the enter player base because we all feed off one another in RP.  The things one character does can influence what another character does, and it'd be unfair to hold an underage character to a higher standard if an adult character is dishing subpar RP that forces an underage character's hand in a situation.

Just now, Taina said:

I agree with this - but I think it should extend to the enter player base because we all feed off one another in RP.  The things one character does can influence what another character does, and it'd be unfair to hold an underage character to a higher standard if an adult character is dishing subpar RP that forces an underage character's hand in a situation.

I'm not particularly opposed to disparate treatment of underage characters - it may not be equal to how we treat other players, but the subject matter is such that it definitely requires deeper scrutiny.

I'm having a hard time envisioning anything that would force someone to lower their standards that we would blame on the reacting individual. What sort of situation would be a good example for what you're concerned about?

4 minutes ago, frankcloud7 said:

If you rp as a child in an adult game I think it's a little too far, since you are enacting things that are very much disgusting and really wrong irl, like using drugs as a minor (ain't even gonna talk about erp) 

If you're murdering people in game even as an adult char, it's going to far because irl that's terrible.  

If you're sexually harassing another character even as an adult char, it's going too far because irl that's unacceptable.

If you're stealing in game, it's going too far.

And the list continues...

The goal on a server based around criminal roleplay shouldn't be to remove all things that are 'disgusting and really wrong irl'.  Instead, it should be to protect the community - the concern here should be for the underage players that are being exposed to ERP rather than putting at ease the adult players that are made uncomfortable by the idea of RPing with underage characters.

2 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

I'm not particularly opposed to disparate treatment of underage characters - it may not be equal to how we treat other players, but the subject matter is such that it definitely requires deeper scrutiny.

But why?

2 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

I'm having a hard time envisioning anything that would force someone to lower their standards that we would blame on the reacting individual. What sort of situation would be a good example for what you're concerned about?

In order to answer this, I'll need to have a clearer understanding of what you meant when you said this:  

29 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

I would very much like to see people RPing someone under 18 to be held to higher standards if they are to remain on the server.

Can you provide an example of the higher standard that you'd like for underage players to be held to?

• Storm locked this topic