A discussion involving Rule 19.

Rhy Rhy

Just now, ThatDutchPerson said:

This, honestly, falls to the discretion of the parents. There are tools out there any parent can find with a quick google search to monitor and moderate their child's online behaviour. I bought GTA5 /when/ I was a minor and I can honestly tell you it was impossible if it wasn't for my mom who bought it with me at the store at that time.

Don't get me wrong. GTA World has a responsibillity, but it is not entirely to blame. Parents play a huge part in this and its their fault if they let their kid play a game thats full of murder, gang violence, sex, drugs and even rape. GTA5 is classified as 18+, and that covers GTA World aswell to an extent. That is on the parent's their fault, not GTA World's and I am of opinion that GTA World has no obligation to accomodate for minors due to this. They do this, at this time, purely out of common courtesey. But again, we strive into territory of age verification on the internet; which is basicly impossible.

Your legal guardians and/or parents have no legal responsibility to stop you from accessing sexual content. It's on the site/platform/service not to offer any descriptive sexual material to minors.

1 minute ago, Eid said:

Or ban sexual rp and people under 18? The issue is sexual rp is just one mature piece of roleplay that happens, you have torture murder and a long list of other offensive stuff that occurs as well that people under 18 should not be subject to.

This doesn't solve anything. ERP has to go, underage players are good to stay. As I said earlier, there's no legitimate way to check anybody's age without infringing or violating the GDPR, so basically most of the playerbase would have to be prohibitted from accessing the server, whereas simply removing the sexual contents (and thus explicitly stating in the server rules that GTAW does not recognize or encourage or condone any kinds of descriptive sexual roleplay and takes all the necessary steps to weed it out) would save the server from any legal consequences as well as simply deal with all the weirdos erping with minors.

2 minutes ago, Taina said:

I imagine it'd be similar to all other things that are currently bannable, which would require the community's assistance in reporting sexual RP or suspected sexual RP.

Okay, but again, how?

And besides that, the 18+ tag on the basegame itself puts the blame on the parents for letting their kids buy and play this.

1 minute ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Your legal guardians and/or parents have no legal responsibility to stop you from accessing sexual content. It's on the site/platform/service not to offer any descriptive sexual material to minors.

This doesn't solve anything. ERP has to go, underage players are good to stay. As I said earlier, there's no legitimate way to check anybody's age without infringing or violating the GDPR, so basically most of the playerbase would have to be prohibitted from accessing the server, whereas simply removing the sexual contents (and thus explicitly stating in the server rules that GTAW does not recognize or encourage or condone any kinds of descriptive sexual roleplay and takes all the necessary steps to weed it out) would save the server from any legal consequences as well as simply deal with all the weirdos erping with minors.

Yes, it has to go away along with the underage players. GTA itself deals with mature themes as does the server aside from sexual stuff and it should honestly be we don't allow any mature topics and allow underage players or we allow mature topics and ban underage players or just go away with both.

Okay, but again, how?

And besides that, the 18+ tag on the basegame itself puts the blame on the parents for letting their kids buy and play this.

No it doesn't. PEGI and the american game rating system holds no legal power. Therefore, if you went to your local Gamestop (and let's say you are 12yo) they cannot refuse to sell it to you.

Okay, but again, how?

I'm not sure how to be more specific. There is an entire list of things that are currently bannable IG and typically, admins become aware of people engaging in these rulebreaking behaviors via reports made by other players.  Think underage ERP, bestiality, etc.

If ERP/sexual roleplay were to be banned entirely from the server, enforcing it as a rule would work in this same way.

2 minutes ago, Eid said:

Yes, it has to go away along with the underage players. GTA itself deals with mature themes as does the server aside from sexual stuff and it should honestly be we don't allow any mature topics and allow underage players or we allow mature topics and ban underage players or just go away with both.

See the issue is that no law explicitly states that minors are not allowed to witness homicides in a video game, whereas there are laws that explicitly state that if the overage party displays explicit sexual material to a minor they're committing a crime.

No it doesn't. PEGI and the american game rating system holds no legal power. Therefore, if you went to your local Gamestop (and let's say you are 12yo) they cannot refuse to sell it to you.

Au contraire. Movie theaters refuse to admit minors to R rated movies all the time.

They may not be legally obligated to do so, but they are legally permitted to do so.

I'm sure you're right about the rating system holding no legal power but I've personally seen minors refused service at Gamestop while trying to purchase games with mature ratings. ThatDutchPerson might have had the same experience.

• Upvote 1
  • Storm locked this topic