Adjustments to the ALPR system.

Blackbird

Just now, Blackbird said:

According to the 20 replies in this thread, it seems like a lack of the script. It would be as equally stupid to report negligent operation or unrealistic portrayal when it's not the player's fault the script is lacking. Though, I do agree that extensive and obsessive sniffing for vehicle plates tends to look unrealistic or 'tryhardish' on behalf of the officer/deputy doing it.

I am advocating for adjustments the title says. Just because MY personal opinion is to push for limitation or removal - I am open to take into account people's own opinions and experiences. Since staff reads these threads through, when they do (I hope).

Regardless of any script limitations people should not act negligently or unrealistically in order to do their work. It's the equivalent to driving real close to a tinted car just to see their nametags.

I don't see how the ALPR system is OP. People want PD to do more investigations but at the same time people advocate for removing tools which PD uses in these investigations. 

There has to be a balance where PD remains tools in their possession, the more tools there are available the more regulated they can be to achieve that balance. The less "overpoweredness" PD has, the less regulated PD would have to become to keep the server balanced and fair for everyone.

This server has something no other server ever had. A functional court system where you can appeal charges in court. This is a very big nerf to PD where before I could've arrested you for reckless driving and you'd have no avenue of appeal.

We're roleplaying 2021, an age of technology. New LAPD cruisers have a stinger system where a GPS tracker is sent flying and attaches itself to the back of a suspect vehicle to be used for tracing. New LAPD cruisers have bulletproof windshields and a lot more tools available. Compared to real-life, police cruisers are insanely weak and in no way overpowered.

It's my experience that currently police is not in a good balance in favor of criminals. We have limited tools and one of the most strict IA divisions we've ever seen. Every single thing we do is and has been regulated for a long time now.

5 minutes ago, Florida said:

ALPR is the shit in real-life, but most patrol cars don't have it. Only specialized units run with ALPR due to the cost. The more cost effective option LE agencies use is fixed cameras at busy or high crime intersections.

Would be a fresh mix to spot speed radar cameras mounted on poles than your G.I. Joe in it's all-terrain Big Brothermobile.

5 minutes ago, BjornV said:

It's my experience that currently police is not in a good balance in favor of criminals. We have limited tools and one of the most strict IA divisions we've ever seen. Every single thing we do is and has been regulated for a long time now.

This is where I have to disagree with you. It is in no way 'in favor of criminals' by all means. You want to push for the tools and their proper moderation and balance? Then give something to the community in return to combat those. San Andreas is an island, you can't run anywhere and you can only hide temporarily. The LEO factions have insanely fast vehicles and insanely good tools to use against you. What do you have in return? Not even a plate removal system that I had to suggest. There's no place to store items besides a vehicle or property, you have to donate for a dog that just stands there and does nothing useful. The vehicles that can actually give the LEOs a run for their money are either locked behind leasewalls and rules to prevent you or get nerfed.

That's what hurts - that back in 2018 and 2019, anybody could have a chance at their freedom. Now? If you actually have the chance to fight back against the LEO factions through force or equal usage of your own tools. What I've noticed is that there's a bigger chance of you being banned or reported for something than actually making it through.

But again, those are my two cents. My general experience with the LSPD and LSSD has been absolute dogshit when it comes to these things.

Edited by Blackbird
2 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

Would be a fresh mix to spot speed radar cameras mounted on poles than your G.I. Joe in it's all-terrain Big Brothermobile.

ALPR isn't extremely expensive. You pay once for the software and then only for individual hardware which, even assuming it costs 5000 dollars as a very high limit isn't going to be that much for a big police department.

I am heavily against traffic cameras as this would be an artificial system which doesn't bring RP to anyone:

1. The script itself won't take actual recordings, it only catches you speeding.

2. After caught speeding, no officer will be able to review the prompt (No recording)
3. You get an automatic ticket issued as soon as the traffic pole catches you speeding.

4. Unless you're recording IC you can not appeal this ticket since it's literally a script-issued ticket because you were speeding.

1 minute ago, Blackbird said:

This is where I have to disagree with you. It is in no way 'in favor of criminals' by all means. You want to push for the tools and their proper moderation and balance? Then give something to the community in return to combat those. San Andreas is an island, you can't run anywhere and you can only hide temporarily. The LEO factions have insanely fast vehicles and insanely good tools to use against you. What do you have in return? Not even a plate removal system that I had to suggest. There's no place to store items besides a vehicle or property, you have to donate for a dog that just stands there and does nothing useful.

That's what hurts - that back in 2018 and 2019, anybody could have a chance at their freedom. Now? If you actually have the chance to fight back against the LEO factions through force or equal usage of your own tools. What I've noticed is that there's a bigger chance of you being banned or reported for something than actually making it through.

But again, those are my two cents. My general experience with the LSPD and LSSD has been absolute dogshit when it comes to these things.

You can get on a zombie and drive from Davis to Lago Zancudo in minutes. If you turn off your phone you're untraceable unless another cop happens to drive across you. 
Alternatively, you could go in the LS sewers and hide there.

Or enter an interior.

Or literally go anywhere except continue returning to the area where you just shot a dude.

30 minutes after doing a crime you can disappear entirely (Log off).

I haven't seen people getting banned for using their own tools. And fighting the police is stupid unless it's one or two officers. Haven't seen people banned for that either. Just PKed. A lot. And CKed sometimes.

1 minute ago, BjornV said:

ALPR isn't extremely expensive. You pay once for the software and then only for individual hardware which, even assuming it costs 5000 dollars as a very high limit isn't going to be that much for a big police department.

I am heavily against traffic cameras as this would be an artificial system which doesn't bring RP to anyone:

1. The script itself won't take actual recordings, it only catches you speeding.

2. After caught speeding, no officer will be able to review the prompt (No recording)
3. You get an automatic ticket issued as soon as the traffic pole catches you speeding.

4. Unless you're recording IC you can not appeal this ticket since it's literally a script-issued ticket because you were speeding.

I can't really appeal on any reckless driving, speeding or illegal parking either. I've appealed in the past due to there being parking spots and fire lanes in the exact same location, which the penal code makes no exemption or mention to. And the driving or speeding is pretty much pointless, since the radar cameras on vehicles and helicopters are pinpoint speed and not an approximate one.

All in all, the server has two faults for me.
ICly speaking, Cop says no, it's a no - they're law enforcers, even if they're wrong.
OOCly speaking, Admin says no, it's a no - they're rule enforcers, even if they're wrong.

But I highly digress with that last statement and leave that topic right there where it just started. I would like to remain within my own thread.

1 minute ago, BjornV said:

You can get on a zombie and drive from Davis to Lago Zancudo in minutes. If you turn off your phone you're untraceable unless another cop happens to drive across you. 
Alternatively, you could go in the LS sewers and hide there.

Or enter an interior.

Or literally go anywhere except continue returning to the area where you just shot a dude.

30 minutes after doing a crime you can disappear entirely (Log off).

I haven't seen people getting banned for using their own tools. And fighting the police is stupid unless it's one or two officers. Haven't seen people banned for that either. Just PKed. A lot. And CKed sometimes.

It's not the passive escape that is hard. I've timed myself between locations incase something like that happened. It's the active escape, where it's you being chased down by cops that have seen you, that's the part I feel like needs changing. How am I able to escape, if from the moment I get ALPR'd and even manage to get away from the officer - I'll have an arrest warrant and someone knocking at my house's door? As much as I can continue hiding, which is quite the thrill and manages to provide roleplay - it's darn near impossible to maintain, and you'll just eventually wind up getting caught one way or another.

Just now, Blackbird said:

I can't really appeal on any reckless driving, speeding or illegal parking either. I've appealed in the past due to there being parking spots and fire lanes in the exact same location, which the penal code makes no exemption or mention to. And the driving or speeding is pretty much pointless, since the radar cameras on vehicles and helicopters are pinpoint speed and not an approximate one.

All in all, the server has two faults for me.
ICly speaking, Cop says no, it's a no - they're law enforcers, even if they're wrong.
OOCly speaking, Admin says no, it's a no - they're rule enforcers, even if they're wrong.

But I highly digress with that last statement and leave that topic right there where it just started. I would like to remain within my own thread.

You can appeal it to the court and they'll have to bring their evidence. If PD has no evidence, the ticket gets tossed.

If they have evidence but your car was properly parked, the ticket gets tossed.

If you sped/drove recklessly/whatever, the ticket will be sustained. 

You can still appeal it to the appelate court if you disagree with the judge their decision. 

I wouldn't think that a traffic pole system would have any positive input as it's a script rather than an interaction between an officer and a civilian.