Adjustments to the ALPR system.

Blackbird

Just now, QuadTurboW16 said:

"The cameras are mounted on police vehicles and scan licence plates on parked or moving vehicles."

A quick search of California ALPR says the same:

"The audit, published Thursday, found that 230 police and sheriff’s departments in the state currently use automated license plate readers (ALPRs), which can be fixed cameras or devices mounted on patrol cars. Police have touted the technology as necessary for enforcing parking and basic municipal laws, and as a vital tool in child abduction cases and other high-profile investigations."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3mb8b/california-police-have-been-illegally-sharing-license-plate-reader-data

There's a difference between unpaid parking fees which are entered into the LA city databases (because they also do have sworn parking enforcement officers, that's a completely different story though), there's not a single mention of them being able to figure out whether your insurance is valid or not.

2 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

There's a difference between unpaid parking fees which are entered into the LA city databases (because they also do have sworn parking enforcement officers, that's a completely different story though), there's not a single mention of them being able to figure out whether your insurance is valid or not.

Unfortunately for you, you got fined for failing to pay insurance like others who got fined for driving through Pillbox at 100 MPH. Maybe pay the insurance like you would in real life instead of complaining about the system.

This is going way out of hand, but, to return to the actual, original suggestion... just... no. The current ALPR system already barely works as intended, and when it does, it only scans vehicles directly in front of the police vehicle, which isn't really that broken, and is, if anything, a little unrealistic to how the actual cameras work. It also takes about five seconds to return a result, anyway. 

The suggestion here doesn't really add or remove anything from the system that'd be a worthwhile change.

Considering the fact that the system is only on a handful of vehicles in the entire PD & that it barely works oftentimes and it only works if you're RIGHT behind the vehicle in front of you AND it still takes a solid 5 seconds to properly read the plate.  I'd say it is 100% not OP by any means at all.  Maybe just pay your insurance.  The odds of getting caught really are not that high, it's literally the luck of the draw. 

Edited by flyer2359x

To all of you telling me the script doesn't function half of the time. That is not a valid excuse, that is indeed something you ought to report to your respective faction developers and staff liaisons though, as it pertains to them and not here.

It's utterly stupid to see police vehicles go from car to car individually like they were sniffing for excessive CO2 just to check plates. It's also very obvious to see a police cruiser nearly rear end you, and you know you're about to get pulled over or got your plate scanned.

No matter if it works and how it works, there needs to be a change. The PD and SD have all of the tools needed to catch criminals, from vehicles to cameras - yet here I am advocating for systems and scripts to be in place to prevent such from happening AS OFTEN. Why? Because I feel like there's a disparity on what is happening and what people think happens. Let me remind you illegal roleplay isn't just done in major league factions or unofficial groups alike. Independent people commit illegal roleplay too, to a certain limited degree unfornatutely.

During my time as an LEO and a regular citizen/low-class criminal alike, I've noticed this so many times. I'm studying mechatronics in real life and can tell you without a doubt that there are several cases, especially when it pertains to 'physical world > computerized data', a lot tends to fail before it is perfected to acceptable means, and even then. Those are things that were not taken into account.

Edited by Blackbird
3 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

It's utterly stupid to see police vehicles go from car to car individually like they were sniffing for excessive CO2 just to check plates. It's also very obvious to see a police cruiser nearly rear end you, and you know you're about to get pulled over or got your plate scanned.

That seems like either a reason to report them (Negligent operation) or to report them OOC (Unrealistic portrayal).

We do not have as many tools as you're making it out to be. And even so, the tools we have are compartmentalized per division. Not every officer has access to every tool. A part of realism and realistic balance leaves tools for PD. IF you remove all that, you might as well remove police RP entirely apart from patrol officers.

Edited by BjornV
2 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

To all of you telling me the script doesn't function half of the time. That is not a valid excuse, that is indeed something you ought to report to your respective faction developers and staff liaisons though, as it pertains to them and not here.

No matter if it works and how it works, there needs to be a change. The PD and SD have all of the tools needed to catch criminals, from vehicles to cameras - yet here I am advocating for systems and scripts to be in place to prevent such from happening. Why? Because I feel like there's a large disparity on what is happening and what people think happens. Let me remind you illegal roleplay isn't just done in major league factions or unofficial groups alike. Independent people commit illegal roleplay too, to a certain limited degree unfornatutely.

I mean if you complain about them almost rear ending you, there should be a suggestion to enhance ALPR and not remove or limit it even further. ALPR isn't really as OP as you make it out to be here.

Edited by mpower2103
2 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

Sounds like a roleplay quality issue to check every single car on the road with the ALPR to hopefully get a hit, not something to complain in game suggestions either.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, BjornV said:

That seems like either a reason to report them (Negligent operation) or to report them OOC (Unrealistic portrayal).

According to the 20 replies in this thread, it seems like a lack of the script. It would be as equally stupid to report negligent operation or unrealistic portrayal when it's not the player's fault the script is lacking. Though, I do agree that extensive and obsessive sniffing for vehicle plates tends to look unrealistic or 'tryhardish' on behalf of the officer/deputy doing it.

Just now, mpower2103 said:

I mean if you complain about them almost rear ending you, there should be a suggestion to enhance ALPR and not remove or limit it even further. ALPR isn't really as OP as you make it out to be here.

I am advocating for adjustments the title says. Just because MY personal opinion is to push for limitation or removal - I am open to take into account people's own opinions and experiences. Since staff reads these threads through, when they do (I hope).

1 minute ago, QuadTurboW16 said:

Sounds like a roleplay quality issue to check every single car on the road with the ALPR to hopefully get a hit, not something to complain in game suggestions either.

I get it that it's quite dumb to go from car to car individually, like some weird sniffing dog, but usually ALPR doesn't trigger in great distance which leads to cruisers getting so close.