Adjustments to the ALPR system.

Blackbird

1 minute ago, jarmin_russ said:

Just a note. ALPR doesn't shown WHEN your insurance ran out only that is has ran out. ALPR is almost instant with todays technology. There is no roleplay to be had with this system. You activate the system and it scans any numberplate that is readable alerting the operator if there is no insurance, the driver holds no license, who the owner is. That's it. If anything the ALPR system we have is significantly worse than the real world as in GTA W it has to be within a small area directly infront of the vehicle. In the real world anything within the cameras field of view will be scanned.

That's why there's to be balance. It's a game, not the real world. As there's balance made to push us closer to realism, there should also be balance made to make gameplay fair. And I just had someone in a traffic stop inform me my insurance had run out a week ago, that sounds like a WHEN.

Just now, BjornV said:

Please quote your sources. Police can run your plates and instantaneously see if your vehicle is insured or not (Basic google search.) The reason police officers ask for proof of insurance is because their database might be outdated by the time they pull you over.

I don't really have any sources on hand right now, purely from what I've been told by a friend (he's a cop in the US, one of the East Coast states and uses this system) and it doesn't show the insurance status.

2 minutes ago, jarmin_russ said:

The reason cops in the real world ask for your insurance is the database often takes a day or so to update with any new insurance records that the vehicle may have.

Also not accurate in a lot of States. A lot of it has been instant since at least 2015 based on my experience.

Just now, Blackbird said:

And I just had someone in a traffic stop inform me my insurance had run out a week ago, that sounds like a WHEN.

Because they saw the plate flag on ALPR as uninsured, stopped you, and then ran the plate on the MDC to inquire further. MDC inquiries show the date of expiration, not the ALPR.

Edited by Red.
1 minute ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I don't really have any sources on hand right now, purely from what I've been told by a friend (he's a cop in the US, one of the East Coast states and uses this system) and it doesn't show the insurance status.

7 minutes ago, QuadTurboW16 said:

First of all, I have no clue where you got this information from, but that's absolutely not how ALPR here works, and it doesn't tell you how long ago the insurance ran out either.

As for your suggestion to improve "fairness," I will quote the ALPR policy of a North American province here:

The ALPR system uses infrared colour cameras and special software to read licence plates at a rate of up to 3,000 per hour. The cameras are mounted on police vehicles and scan licence plates on parked or moving vehicles. The scans are compared with the ALPR hot list, which is generated daily from Insurance Corporation and Police Information Centre databases. In the case of a hit, ALPR records the image of the vehicle, as well as its plate number, the date, time and GPS coordinates of the vehicle and the type of hit.

The ALPR system here was already designed to be significantly less superior than the system in real life. It only scans cars right in front of the cruiser, compared to any vehicle around the cruiser. On top of that, it's extremely buggy and it only works 50% of the time. In conclusion, ALPR is nowhere close to an overpowered tool.

Changes to the ALPR will just cause people to never insure their cars ever again. Period.

5 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

ALPR is far too OP right now. Irl it doesn't tell you whether the insurance is expired or not, that's literally the reason why during every single traffic stop the cops will ask you to provide some proof of insurance. 

This is just an example of how many databases the ALPR runs every single license plate through. It even looks up prior offenses. 

1 minute ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

An unquoted source is an untrustworthy one if a simple google search contradicts it.

1 minute ago, QuadTurboW16 said:

The issue is somewhere else though. I've on multiple occasions had my vehicle fined for outdated insurance whilst the vehicle was simply parked on the side of the road & that doesn't happen in real life. There's too many variables (be it stolen tags, mounted on your vehicle etc.) to issue a fine to a stationary vehicle for expired insurance whilst the owner of the vehicle isn't present. I'd say it also highly depends on the state so it would be better if you used Californian sources instead of something that generalizes the ALPR system for the entire NA.

2 minutes ago, BjornV said:

An unquoted source is an untrustworthy one if a simple google search contradicts it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/12/california-police-automated-license-plate-readers
https://www.auditor.ca.gov/pdfs/reports/2019-118.pdf

Long story short, they can tell if your vehicle is (or was) insured or not, but not whether the vehicle has valid insurance at the moment.

8 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

The issue is somewhere else though. I've on multiple occasions had my vehicle fined for outdated insurance whilst the vehicle was simply parked on the side of the road & that doesn't happen in real life. There's too many variables (be it stolen tags, mounted on your vehicle etc.) to issue a fine to a stationary vehicle for expired insurance whilst the owner of the vehicle isn't present. I'd say it also highly depends on the state so it would be better if you used Californian sources instead of something that generalizes the ALPR system for the entire NA.

"The cameras are mounted on police vehicles and scan licence plates on parked or moving vehicles."

A quick search of California ALPR says the same:

"The audit, published Thursday, found that 230 police and sheriff’s departments in the state currently use automated license plate readers (ALPRs), which can be fixed cameras or devices mounted on patrol cars. Police have touted the technology as necessary for enforcing parking and basic municipal laws, and as a vital tool in child abduction cases and other high-profile investigations."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3mb8b/california-police-have-been-illegally-sharing-license-plate-reader-data

Edited by QuadTurboW16
2 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Any vehicle infraction that doesn't require the vehicle to be moving will always be held against the driver themselves. Even a moving crime will-- If your sister drives your car and blows through a red light which is caught on traffic cam, you'll receive a ticket and a court summons. Either you pay the ticket or answer the court summons. If your sister goes "I ain't gonna tell the judge that it's my fault" then you'll either need to be able to prove it wasn't you driving or rely on the kindness of the judge to throw your ticket.

Illegal parking, uninsured vehicle, all of it. You're the one who gets the fine as the vehicle is registered to your ownership. The ball is in your court to go to traffic court and argue that the ticket shouldn't be applied to you.

If you want your uninsured parked vehicle to /not/ get ticketed, park it on private property.