911 usage and abuse

4 hours ago, AlphaBatal said:

does anybody want to rp a textbox slave for hours on end? no.
would anybody be willing to form a dispatcher faction or take over a dedicated role as one, doing nothing but /call and /r while on duty, alt-tabbing constantly to access websites and user interfaces in their browser?
also no.

I think this severely underplays the role of dispatchers. I could absolutely see some people roleplaying as 911 dispatchers if they were given the option. Especially if it was script supported, if they are on duty rather than doing the traditional system it forwards you to a real player dispatch. 

Dispatch isn't only responsible for picking up the phone and forwarding it. They're responsible to keeping tabs on the entire 911 system, police, ems, fire, the whole bunch. They make sure calls are getting answered, no matter if they're "good calls" or not. They keep tabs on units and make sure everyone is secure on scene, and they coordinate with field supervisors to make sure units are actually doing what they're supposed to. The gameplay potential is 100%, just rather than it being a boots on the ground first person experience like patrol, it's more of a grand overview, strategy and management experience. 

I'd consider doing it if I had more time.

EDIT: If they added a good script CAD too where they could track units and assign calls, that would make being a dispatcher 10/10.

Edited by TheSenate

I think it'd be better if we had some kind of system in place that'd alert PD/SD if someone mentions "shot", "gunshot", or anything related to fighting/gun violence. Because people keep calling FD but they say shit like "MY HOMIE'S BEEN SHOT, I NEED AN AMBALAMB AT DAVIS LTD", without alerting both departments, when a real dispatcher would absolutely notify PD/SD if any kind of violence's mentioned in a call. This sort of abuse is what delays response times.

• Upvote 1

A simple solution would be to allow FD to "share" 911 calls with a click on their CAD.  So, call comes in for FD only, one click on the CAD shares the call and it appears to LEO like a normal 911, but says something like "911 shared by FD" and then the details.

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, Invictus said:

Fun part is when you call 911 and you are ignored.😔

Slight side rant here.

on average there are 800 people on daily during peak times, let's say a simple 10 percent of that population calls 911, that's 80 calls during peak.

now let's take the average staffing of the various agencies on map during peak times, LSPD, around 30-50, LSSD, 20-30, LSFD? 20. That's 80 cops on average for a population of 800, and they have far greater room to throw staff around, it's why you'll see a lot of LEO's on one scene, they have the staff, sometimes they won't even have enough staff. If those 80 cops can lack staffing during peak times, imagine the LSFD, with their 20 members online on average during peak, having to answer the majority of those 80 calls. Add on top that law enforcement calls on the Fire department too, and that's a herculean job pile.

911 calls will sometimes just /not/ get an answer to them, because there's physically not enough players to answer those calls. That's a fact, that will continue to be fact, none of us "work" GTAW full time. I can spend like three hours a day online, and usually I'm hitting back to back calls on an Ambulance. I'd love to do more, maybe passively roleplay once or twice, but the calls are always there.

As for the above posts. The LSFD does have a dispatcher system, where either the highest on rank or someone assigned will handle dispatching units. And they can even handle calls and receive them. This is a mixed bag, as we can manage units a lot more than LEO agencies, however the dispatcher has to keep track of the entire county. Civilians could handle this job, but there's have to be a lot of them to even make this a thing. And you'd have to somehow connect CAD's of all SIX agencies in order to properly manage all law enforcement, and emergency services together in order to be properly managed. This dispatcher agency would need a lot of manpower, because the second there isn't a dispatcher online? This system goes into collective chaos. This happens with the LSFD dispatcher system, as whenever our dispatcher goes afk for even a minute, calls pile up, departmental s get unanswered, and units get ignored.

Now for my secondary point. For the folks saying take it IC, don't worry, that's an option if uh. The phones weren't unregistered. The reason I take this OOCly at all, is because I can't read any of the text on my screen during peak. It's a wave of text, from radio, to on scene RP, to 911 calls popping up and creating a four block space between all my roleplay. It's a pain in the ass and makes me not log in during peak times.

There isn't really a script fix to this, sure a notification may get people to stop spamming it. All I'm saying with this thread is to /be considerate/. And don't keep repeating 911 calls. Sometimes it just /takes/ a minute to get where you are. This is a text based server, rushing people who have to type for their roleplay and have to physically drive there, is just a recipe for disaster, once they're on scene? Hit them with all that anger of taking too long or w/e. Just don't spam 911 calls.

Edited by KinnyWynny

There's a lot of 911 abuse that goes on. Usually it's done by new players or people spamming that their homie got shot.

Any time I've ever charged someone for blatant misuse of 911, they've turned around and immediately done it again later. The charge isn't substantial enough to have any effect on them to encourage them to stop when they do get around to it. Here's an example.qSctkqf.png

After the first two calls, he was charged for misuse of 911. Everything after the red line was sent directly to Fire. It's that easy to abuse the system and avoid additional charges if you have to. For some reason, all 911 calls show up in our MDC but they're not sent to us directly in-game.

I would honestly just prefer if all calls got routed to us even if they request just medical, but other than that I don't have any issues with how the 911 call system works atm.

Edited by rainbowlarva

Would like to see the current 911s integrated into a system like the new ads. Would be in favour of only being able to see these calls off the MDC, or have emergencies broadcasted over the radio. 

ie. /dispatch [call number here] = the blue text that fills half of LEO ppls screens. Supervisors or dispatchers could use this.

also It’s realistic for police to take their time to lesser priority calls, or even to direct you to a police station to file a report instead.

• Wuhtah locked this topic