911 usage and abuse

2 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

It's an IC issue that should be handled via IC routes. I believe the reason cops and LSFD don't respond to you is simply due to lack of resources.

This became an OOC issue the moment staff stopped caring about where crimes take place in regards to population realisticly.

1 minute ago, Biscuit said:

How does that have to do with anything regarding fake 911 calls?

You mentioned that you wanted to see more fake 911 calls, but I replied that really isn't a good thing both IC and OOC given the sheer amount of time they already need to respond to real 911 calls. you countered this, saying thats an IC human resources problem. But human resources are no longer an IC problem when its clear that you can now commit a crime basicly anywhere on the map and civillians are no-where safe anymore; resulting in an increase in 911 calls already.

Edited by ThatDutchPerson
4 minutes ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

You mentioned that you wanted to see more fake 911 calls, but I replied that really isn't a good thing both IC and OOC given the sheer amount of time they already need to respond to real 911 calls. you countered this, saying thats an IC human resources problem. But human resources are no longer an IC problem when its clear that you can now commit a crime basicly anywhere on the map and civillians are no-where safe anymore.

LSFD had bunched up resources before that ruling was put in place. We still get more then 100 calls a day just alone from the emergency contact line not counting the departmental response, there's absolutely no connection to that ruling in regards to how much department resources are strained.

And If I'm not mistaken, call statistics even dropped a little bit compared to last month from this month.

Furthermore, a fake 911 call can be made to a Crime-Free zone and cops would still have to treat it like a real 911 call until they actually confirmed it's fake.

Fake 911 calls have nothing to do with staff making the decision and I stand by my statement that it should be treated as an IC issue and that I'd like to see more fake 911 calls as it's very rare for them to even come by.

Edited by Biscuit

I think the bigger issue is PD members treating calls they don't see as important as dismissible. I am one of those people who will call the cops for out of the ordinary/mundane issues. A lot of the times you don't really get any response OR a few cruisers will just drive by without any RP, not see anything and continue on. Some PD members are great about it and really seem to enjoy taking these type of calls but according to the them the vast majority of people would rather go to a shooting call or something exciting. Troubling since we see so many PD members complaining that they have to go to too many shooting calls. 

That being said, I don't think the issues entirely on them. I think the civilian side of the 911 system needs serious rework. The text prompts aren't clear enough on what they are specifically asking and it's pretty unRP. There are three prompts I believe (Don't hold me on this) and they go:

What's your emergency?

What's your location? 

What units do you need?

There's a few variations depending on what you say to the initial prompt but the information it's trying to gather is pretty specific. The crime, the location, who needs to be notified. That might sounds pretty simple and straight forward but the way that a callers responses are presented to responders leaves a lot to be desired. 

First and foremost I've been told that if responses to the questions are too long the answers just get cut off in the MDC (I think that's where they populate). As a caller you have no idea the issue exist and so if you answer the first prompt in a longer manner without getting they key info out in the first few words it's likely the call won't make sense to responders when they look at in the MDC or key information will just be left out. Responses looking like this:

I was taking my dog for a night walk down at Vespucci Beach when I

Vespucci Beach

Police and Fire

Going off that information, responders could show up to Vespucci beach and find a drug deal or a series of pipe bombs rigged to level a city block. Likely they're going to not even have enough information to warrant sticking around and investigating. Sadly on a server where crime is constant, PD is kinda forced to go after calls where they at least have useable information. 

Edited by Henning
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Jonesy said:

As someone who'se got 5+ years in this field IRL I can assure you that these 911 calls are really not that far from the truth. While obviously with a real operator you have the potential to get more information form the caller, if someone's in an emergency and they don't think help is coming they'll call 4-5 times and I've had several incidents (including shootings) that are like "123 X Street, just fucking get here!" *click*

And I mean, in our rush to fine someone for misusing the emergency hotline maybe we could take a quick moment to resolve the situation they're calling about and they'd stop calling. :shrug: 

This. 

Dispatchers can sometimes get a little extra. But often the descriptions they get are still extremely limited. I work in EMS and we'll get calls that come out with descriptions like "LEG PAIN" (super descriptive) or "WEAK", or you may even get nothing at all just "UNKNOWN PROBLEM". Even with a dispatcher on the line, people are still terrible at answering questions or providing a decent description.

EDIT: And we get multiple BS calls a day where we can't even find the patient at the location provided.

Edited by TheSenate
  • Upvote 1

all of them are fair opinions. such a shame that there's no dedicated dispatchers to manually root through that like irl and your textwall is broadcasted to, often, over 50-100 people at peak across all divisions of the lsfd, lspd, lssd, sfm and sapr, filling in the limited chatspace they use to communicate, treat patients and handle radios.

now imagine that a firefighter is juggling treating a patient, communicating over radio, trying to handle said patient being oocly unresponsive or not reading emotes over pm, handling a probationary firefighter they're partnered with while being bombarded by the same number posting a variation of the same call thrice in the span of five minutes, which in no way pertains to said firefighter/unit they're assigned to and would realistically be filtered out through a civilian sitting in a comfy desk in a dispatcher office somewhere in the city who could pass the pertinent information down.

does anybody want to rp a textbox slave for hours on end? no.
would anybody be willing to form a dispatcher faction or take over a dedicated role as one, doing nothing but /call and /r while on duty, alt-tabbing constantly to access websites and user interfaces in their browser?
also no.

best way to handle it is just being considerate at this point

• Wuhtah locked this topic