General Wonkiness with PF Licensing Rules

1 minute ago, cryybabyycryy said:

Forwarded to fld command. 

I do gotta comment on how it’s not unrealistic for gang members to obtain a pf? I am gonna disagree. I don’t see realism in a gang member waking into a police station and handing over finger prints, a photo, permission for a background check that included age, address, phone and occupation. These are all easy ways to place someone at a crime and keep eye on their activity. Also most street gangs recruit teenagers who are not even able to apply. Lots have a record before reaching and adult age. I think that rule holds up standards of realism perfectly. We also are very careful on what we mark as a gang. Not ever illegal faction falls into this.  

Lots having a record before making it to 18-21 depending on state is not true. Also, in most states (even those that require you to file lots of paperwork) don't require you to go to the police station and hand over prints, a photo, and background check request.

5 minutes ago, cryybabyycryy said:

Forwarded to fld command. 

I do gotta comment on how it’s not unrealistic for gang members to obtain a pf? I am gonna disagree. I don’t see realism in a gang member waking into a police station and handing over finger prints, a photo, permission for a background check that included age, address, phone and occupation. These are all easy ways to place someone at a crime and keep eye on their activity. Also most street gangs recruit teenagers who are not even able to apply. Lots have a record before reaching and adult age. I think that rule holds up standards of realism perfectly. We also are very careful on what we mark as a gang. Not ever illegal faction falls into this.  

all in all a gun is overly easy to obtain in this server. 

To back this guy a bit, 

There are people who have said its easier to obtain illegal fire arms in cities with tight gun control laws (like Chicago and Los Angeles) than it is to obtain a legal one. Additionally, I'm fairly certain Official Factions get monthly supplies for illegal weapons, drugs, and money no? 

5 minutes ago, Midwest said:

Lots having a record before making it to 18-21 depending on state is not true. Also, in most states (even those that require you to file lots of paperwork) don't require you to go to the police station and hand over prints, a photo, and background check request.

I think this depends on the state: In both Colorado (where I got my first CCW) and now in Florida, you have to attend a class to get your CCW and then file it with the local police department. ID is required for the class. 

3 minutes ago, Midwest said:

Ah I live in a state that requires a lot. Being the game is “based” on California the pf rules there is a background check and 10 day waiting period as the application is sent over to the DOJ. 

1 minute ago, TheSaintEaon said:

To back this guy a bit, 

There are people who have said its easier to obtain illegal fire arms in cities with tight gun control laws (like Chicago and Los Angeles) than it is to obtain a legal one. Additionally, I'm fairly certain Official Factions get monthly supplies for illegal weapons, drugs, and money no? 

Yes there is an illegal supplier program. Plenty of street sales. When I played in an illegal faction I was able to obtain more guns and more gun models than anyone with a pf can obtain in a month. It was simple, pricy at times but simple. 

5 minutes ago, cryybabyycryy said:

Yes there is an illegal supplier program. Plenty of street sales. When I played in an illegal faction I was able to obtain more guns and more gun models than anyone with a pf can obtain in a month. It was simple, pricy at times but simple. 

That's kinda how I figured it was. Part of my reason for starting this thread was in the confusion that sort of stuff caused. It was like "So I need to get a PF for defense so that I can try and get enough money to start to find suppliers to maybe consider one day doing illegal things without getting immediately shot, and then if I do want to do illegal things or find myself in a situation where I have to, I then have to find an illegal weapons supplier, make sure to use his weapon and not my PF one so that I can do what RP necessitates I need to do without breaking server rules." and in that regard you can start to see where the rule seems convoluted lol. 

But honestly, knowing I can tell my friends "look just don't be stupid and do things that OOCly don't make sense and you'll be fine to use your PF license as you need to. Just be aware, if you get caught you're gonna get in a lot of IC shit." really clears up a lot of my confusion and issues. It also helps deal with the fact it seems like a lot of street suppliers sell to people within their own faction before anyone else, making it kinda frustrating for outsiders to even find weapons to buy. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2021 at 2:09 PM, TheSaintEaon said:

I think this depends on the state: In both Colorado (where I got my first CCW) and now in Florida, you have to attend a class to get your CCW and then file it with the local police department. ID is required for the class. 

Those courses are needed to conceal-carry a firearm. Any one can practically purchase a firearm for the sake of taking it to the range, in most states. Of course, background checks are conducted in some states, but none of them require fingerprints.

Edited by DLimit

It's critical to remember there's a completely fair disconnect from real life here. In real life, it is possible for gang members to obtain firearms for example. The only thing a gang member really has a higher chance of being DQed for is having a criminal record, OR, alternatively, whichever seller declining to sell to which is an entirely different situation.

In game, it is not quite as easy to open up legal firearms to the extent they could be in real life, because there would be many characters who just apply to get guns ooc, which would far outweigh the amount of people trying to legitimately roleplay around the concept. Sadly though, this tends to shift it towards unintentionally favoring certain styles of roleplay that generally do not boast lots of quality roleplay.

Edited by Midwest
  • Wuhtah locked this topic