My Issue with Facebrowser Pro Packages

21 hours ago, Florida said:

I wouldnt be apposed to seeing a couple ads on facebrowser tbh

20 hours ago, Mecovy said:

Facebrowser, its software and the license needed to operate it cost through the roof. It was the same with another platform on another server called Tracebook. When I was the manager for Tracebook, I believe the costs to operate it were somewhere near $500 a month or something crazy, they're not cheap. A game server only requires the hosting costs and development, these social media networks whilst I don't have an exact price, I know it dwarfs how much the game server costs. Standard donations don't cover Facebrowser, so they had it set up that you did need to pay individually there.

Following feedback from the community, they let WP be used. Yeah its not great, but its a price we pay to keep such a website operated and populated.

what makes it so costly, the data held? And i'm not against the pro packages, just the boosting pages seems to be the best for advertising some things but it's plagued with modded tiddies or just a characters face.. doesn't seem the place for it.

If it's the data held then maybe consider a wipe of some posts? I know there must be countless images and shit just sitting on inactive accounts

41 minutes ago, Koshkovsky said:

I wouldnt be apposed to seeing a couple ads on facebrowser tbh

what makes it so costly, the data held? And i'm not against the pro packages, just the boosting pages seems to be the best for advertising some things but it's plagued with modded tiddies or just a characters face.. doesn't seem the place for it.

If it's the data held then maybe consider a wipe of some posts? I know there must be countless images and shit just sitting on inactive accounts

Data is only a fragment of the cost. Its licensing for the base software which is the main part of the cost

On 5/21/2021 at 12:50 PM, Lurleen said:

Is it unfair? Yes, but server needs the money. It is what it is....

The server's been active for a solid 3-4 years now, as far as I'm aware. From my knowledge in the area, I think the server's pretty much paid for a good decade or so, the rest is probably invested in the infrastructure of the server, i.e: better servers to endure connection loads and so forth.

Does the server need the money? Yeah of course, it's not free.
Does the server have the money? It sure does, a lot more than needed to maintain the conditions as you know them - especially given your current daily player population and monthly donation lists.

Consider this a different kind of 'donator' package. Thing is, it's as expensive as one, and it gives you nowhere near the same perks as it would within the direct game platform.

Make it so that you can associate your facebrowser account to your in-game character - and have it deduct a certain amount from your bank account on a monthly period. This way, not only are you strenghtening bonds between the In-Character Social Media and the Game Server platforms - but you're also enforcing a certain degree of roleplay quality. Let's see how many people who currently boost their pages through real-life currency will be able to do so by themselves now. It'd certainly give way for more RP employment - as people who couldn't afford their monthly Facebrowser status could reach out to people who could and have them manage their online persona.

But those are my two cents. Given that it's the server owner receiving those extra 15 bucks a month per player versus roleplay quality and correlation. I have my doubts about whether it would ever be done or not. A classic case of the needs of one outweigh the wants of many may occur.

1 hour ago, Airforce said:

I get the point of the topic, but in the same time I am not willing to see almost everyone on facebrowser with verified tags and boosted posts.

Then... Verify those people fully ICly. Just like Instagram. Imagine if you had to pay to be verified on Instagram. Only actual popular people should be verified, and not those who are willing to pay. 

On 5/21/2021 at 5:32 PM, Mecovy said:

Facebrowser, its software and the license needed to operate it cost through the roof. It was the same with another platform on another server called Tracebook. When I was the manager for Tracebook, I believe the costs to operate it were somewhere near $500 a month or something crazy, they're not cheap. A game server only requires the hosting costs and development, these social media networks whilst I don't have an exact price, I know it dwarfs how much the game server costs. Standard donations don't cover Facebrowser, so they had it set up that you did need to pay individually there.

Following feedback from the community, they let WP be used. Yeah its not great, but its a price we pay to keep such a website operated and populated.

Pretty much sums the reason.

• Wuhtah locked this topic