My Issue with Facebrowser Pro Packages

TL;DR: Facebrowser pro packages should be bought via in-game currency rather than real money.

The issue I'm bringing up isn't the pro package as a whole, but the feature of "boosting" pages or posts. The idea is fun but the execution, I think, could use some work. So currently you use IRL money to buy world points, you then spend your world points to buy a package on facebrowser which gives you certain features. This I'm fine with - the server has bills to pay and it's an optional way for people to help out and get something back. I get it.

Where I raise my issue is with the boosting posts and pages. The main point of my argument being: Why should someone who has a more disposable income IRL be able to promote things more than someone who cannot, or is not willing to? For me, since it's an In-Character platform, it should be maintained with In-Character money. I understand that the short answer could be so it pays for itself. And where I'm not savvy on the cost of upkeeping a pseudo-social media platform, surely £15 a month to boost 3 posts is a bit steep. 

I also understand that there are IG means to promote such as ads and it costs nothing to share and re-post things - but I've found far more success when posting a promotion via the boosted post compared to any other way of advertising. Since a player might see an AD to go check out some soundcloud song, and forget about it by the time they come off the game. On facebrowser, you see the song and can click it there and then and be done with it. But then you have these promotions that are in-game companies or whatever being drowned out by people who want to boost selfies. 

I accept that some people put considerable amounts of time into creating pictures for their characters and want to show it off and get likes and such, but is boosted posts really the place for it? After all it's an In-character platform. Why does someone's selfie get more promotion than someone's company event, because they don't have an IRL income?

The feature either needs re-worked or abolished. A better advertisement system should be put in place. There's a "sponsor" box to the side that never has anything in it as there is no clear way on how it works or who to contact. Plus it would just be overlooked by these selfies that plague every front page that have no meaning but to show off a character (which is usually photoshopped or modded so doesn't even look like their character in game.. doesn't that defeat the whole point of having characters as pictures instead of face-claims in the first place?)

Those with less money IRL shouldn't have to compete to promote their IC businesses with people who photoshopped cleavage into their characters selfie.

Edited by Koshkovsky
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
5 minutes ago, Lurleen said:

Is it unfair? Yes, but server needs the money. It is what it is....

So why can't promotion on an IC platform be taken out of what's included in an OOC purchase. There are numerous other benefits you can get that don't put anyone else at a disadvantage in terms of competing that you can buy. I did mention I understand the server requires money so I don't think it's just as plain as you've suggested, sorry.

Just now, KoishiKomeiji said:

The problem is and it's been stated I think, Facebrowser at this point apparently costs more than the Game server itself. But, I do agree there are better ways IC Businesses could grow themselves on there.

i'll be honest - I didn't bother to research if a similar discussion had been made already but that's pretty surprising if true

Facebrowser, its software and the license needed to operate it cost through the roof. It was the same with another platform on another server called Tracebook. When I was the manager for Tracebook, I believe the costs to operate it were somewhere near $500 a month or something crazy, they're not cheap. A game server only requires the hosting costs and development, these social media networks whilst I don't have an exact price, I know it dwarfs how much the game server costs. Standard donations don't cover Facebrowser, so they had it set up that you did need to pay individually there.

Following feedback from the community, they let WP be used. Yeah its not great, but its a price we pay to keep such a website operated and populated.

Edited by Mecovy
  • Wuhtah locked this topic